Thailand back in business, welcomes foreign investors - Apec told

webfact

ASIA-PACIFIC ECONOMIC COOPERATION
Thailand back in business, welcomes foreign investors : Apec told

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has returned to normal and is ready for renewed visits of foreign tourists and investors, Finance minister Sommai Phasee told the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) finance ministers' meeting in Beijing.

While the Thai economy was weak in the first half of this year due to the previous political crisis, the post-coup government has made significant changes in restoring the country’s readiness to receive tourists and investment.

Thai News Agency quoted Sommai as saying that the government of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha has implemented immediate economic stimulus measures to ensure a 1.5 per cent economic growth rate throughout this year.

He said that the government would adjust financial and economic structures to narrow down financial gaps among people and promote sustainable economic development.

In an interview with the Biz Talk program of China’s CCTV News, Sommai said Thailand is focusing on infrastructure development and persuading the private sector to take part in the task.

He gave assurances that Thailand has returned to normal and that foreign tourists and investors, including those from China, could visit the country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thailand-back-in-business-welcomes-foreign-investo-30246168.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-24

Thailand has returned to normal and is ready for renewed visits of foreign tourists and investors,

Unfortunately, murders, rapes robberies, boat crashes, scams, corrupt cops and officials ect ect ect. I cant say it has "returned" to normal, I dont believe anything really changed, to "return" it to normal. The only thing that is different is there have not been political rallies, but that will soon return to normal.

What you described is considered "normal" around here!!w00t.gif

Edited by JOC

LOL ya sure, watch everyone fly in with millions of dollars :P The country is falling apart with many businesses going under and recession with real estate market crash around the corner. You'd have to be insane to invest any money here :P

• Like 1

Welcomes foreign investors? Here is a tip to Thailand. The Chinese are spending billions buying up land (100% owned in their name) in Western countries. Why on earth would they want to invest in Thailand when there are so many restrictions on "Aliens"? and not just Chinese anyone, I could not imagine anything more risky than "Doing business with Thais".

Thailand has returned to normal and is ready for renewed visits of foreign tourists and investors,

Unfortunately, murders, rapes robberies, boat crashes, scams, corrupt cops and officials ect ect ect. I cant say it has "returned" to normal, I dont believe anything really changed, to "return" it to normal. The only thing that is different is there have not been political rallies, but that will soon return to normal.

Etcetera........etc.etc.etc.

Normal = martial law????????????????

yeah, I laughed at that one too.

But they turned lemons into lemonaide with the martial law tourism package. laugh.png

On the serious side, a military government or an unelected civilian government is 'normal' in Thailand if you look at it over the long-term. The elites do not like, trust or even think that democracy is necessary.

Yeah but maybe foreign investors have found somewhere else

Like that place just to the west of Thailand that used to be called Burma where a foreigner can own land and doesn't have to sign away half of his/her assets to a native who has done next to bugger all for it??

Nah, doesn't exist!

Junta led government (I'm not allowed to use the 'D' word) and Martial law is a normal arena for foreign investors? Not according to the property market anyway.

you are right, but on the other hand, capitalism has no political allegiances

ain't that the truth!

• Like 1

Junta led government (I'm not allowed to use the 'D' word) and Martial law is a normal arena for foreign investors? Not according to the property market anyway.

ain't that the truth!

One question for all those who make such a big deal about owning land. Why did you not move to a country where you can? I know if it was that big a deal to me I would have gone to Mexico or some other country where the weather is nice.

I am not playing smart ass I really am interested in knowing what the allure is if not owning land is such a beg deal.

ain't that the truth!

One question for all those who make such a big deal about owning land. Why did you not move to a country where you can? I know if it was that big a deal to me I would have gone to Mexico or some other country where the weather is nice.

I am not playing smart ass I really am interested in knowing what the allure is if not owning land is such a beg deal.

Good question. I guess people like and enjoy Thailand and the dream of owning something here is attractive even if the laws for land & house are not favourable to foreigners? Maybe having a Thai spouse and family is motivation? Leaving a legacy for the family or something maybe? There are other countries that employ similar or even harsher laws and people buy in those countries too. I don't own land in Thailand through a company/wife or otherwise but I have a condo which I like. I once owned in Spain but thankfully got out before the crash. I bought a house in Natal, Brazil in 2008, I own it outright but due to immigration I can only stay in the country 185 days in any year, the house and land is sound though. I think a lot of people think they're buying into an investment which might be correct in BKK but hardly anywhere else.