Suzuki Sj413

Hi

What does anyone think of the little Suzuki jeeps? Thinking of a second hand one as a runabout. Like the idea of one of these, but never had one, always been a landie man. Need something which the wife can drive and handle dirt roads around her folks home.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rented one about 15 years ago in Chiang Mai for a week. Thought it was ok for what it was, fairly easy to drive. I know they are not the most refined things around. Thinking mainly of costs and reliability. Also a bit of mud-plugging for which I know they have a good reputation.

Only the early ones had no power steering. The 2+2 sporty drives much better than the carribean, but neither version can be described as much fun; Noisy, uncomfortable and badly screwed together. That said, if you need a cheap 4x4 that'll get you out of trouble off road, then go for it. Just don't expect too much. A Land Rover it 'aint.

Yes, it aint a Land Rover but cheaper. Have an old but good w123 300d for longer trips. Only thinking of an SJ for short 2-3k trips into town, Tesco etc.. Also fancy something for the mud. Drove series Land Rovers in the UK for 15 years so am used to noise, vibrations, bumps and thumps. I need something she can drive and is cheap!

Most of them now have power steering. I'll agree that they are underpowered and ride VERY rough BUT I still think they are a lot of fun and if all you are after is local transportation you will enjoy your Suzuki. I had one and drove it from Bangkok to Roiet quite often. I have very fond memories of a ban fai (rocket festival) where it rained a lot during the celebration. All the pickup trucks were stuck and I had a GREAT time pulling them out of the mud. My former brother in law thought we would get stuck too. He changed his mind when he saw we were able to pull everyone out barely slipping a wheel. I took no money but did take a drink or beer from all those we pulled out. That was one of the highlights of my Issan experiences.

Love my Suzuki! What the others say is true but we have a Vigo 4x4 quad cab also for long trips. My sporty doesn't have power steering but my wife loves driving it to the farm and let me tell you they are fun in the mud. It has been very reliable and the only thing I've needed is the usaul brakes and battery. They are also inexpensive to modify.

post-30049-1154146208.jpg

You folks seem to confirm what I have heard in the UK - thier reliable little runabouts. Can anybody tell me about running costs here in LOS. Parts availability, prices etc.? Thinking of a second-hand one around 150-160k. But need the carribean as will need to seat for occasionaly.

I'd seriously try renting or driving a carribean before buying one to see how you get on with it. Two big problems with these are that most didn't come with power steering and the air conditioning can't cope with all the extra glass...sitting in the back is like being in a green house!

The 'Sporty' 2+2 isn't bad for seating 4 and the aircon' works great, you wouldn't want to travel too far though. If only for the odd occasion it would be fine....give them both a try and you'll see what I mean.

You folks seem to confirm what I have heard in the UK - thier reliable little runabouts. Can anybody tell me about running costs here in LOS. Parts availability, prices etc.? Thinking of a second-hand one around 150-160k. But need the carribean as will need to seat for occasionaly.

Though I can't give you figures on running costs it is low. As for parts and servicing both are cheap because they have been around for years with only minor changes and in addition they are very popular. Though I live near the Cambodia border and there are no dealers parts are easy to find. Off roading is very popular in Thailand and the Suzuki's are the most popular machines so there are many shops expierenced in servicing them. I aggree with Geoffphuket the "Sporty" is great but the Carribean would be an oven for passengers in the back.

Hi

What does anyone think of the little Suzuki jeeps? Thinking of a second hand one as a runabout. Like the idea of one of these, but never had one, always been a landie man. Need something which the wife can drive and handle dirt roads around her folks home.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Your Heading is " Suzuki SJ 413 " so my reply deals with that model :-

Mine which is :-

The Suzuki SJ413 Caribean

Sporty

1.3 litres

5 speed gearbox

4 wheel drive - upper and lower ratios.

Power Steering

History :

Bought in Phuket

260 000 Km on the clock

Travelled all over Thailand , also into Laos, Cambodia, Burma and Malaysia.

Top speed 120 Kmh

Pulled a 1 ton trailer some 30 000 kms - Photos available

----

Low Maintence :

Change timing belt every 100 000 Km

I have changed :-

Disc brakes

Waterpump

Front drive shaft ball joint bearings

Oil every 3000 kms

Negatives:

Slow in top gear

Rough ride (like early Landrovers)

Eats gasoline for its engine capacity

Positive

Tough little 4WD (go anywhere a landrover will go)

for your wife to use on dirt roads - she might have to learn how to drive it off road.

post-1942-1154161918.jpg

Looked at a few carribeans and noticed non have seat-belts in the back. Any one tried to fit them or know if its possible?

Should be no problem I have two 413's in scotland for forest off road work they are the best !!! swb & lwb one is fitted with rear seats and both have all the fittings, the rear seat is a simple fold foward device. Have to say i've not looked into many in the LOS but I'm sure they will have the same fittings :o

In addition to the points mentioned above, I'd be REAL careful on the highway with those things. Jeeps are unstable and dangerous at highway speeds and don't handle nearly as well as a car. My dad had a Jeep Wrangler back in the States for a while and when you took it above 60mph, it was really unstable. For long trips, it would be painful as jeeps have virtually no shock absorbing capabilities. Still, those little Suzukis are popular here probably because they are so cheap.

• 2 years later...

I'm thinking of buying one off a friend who is selling theirs. They pretty much say the same as above, but my question is, if you wanted to run between Chiangmai and Chiangrai, once every two to three weeks, would it be ok?

I'm thinking of buying one off a friend who is selling theirs. They pretty much say the same as above, but my question is, if you wanted to run between Chiangmai and Chiangrai, once every two to three weeks, would it be ok?

I've done ChiangMai to Chiangrai in a suzuki several times, although quite a long time ago.

Keep the Speed down to around 60 and you should be fine. Its probably as far as I would want to go in one now.

I'd love one myself but I've got far too many toys. ........ and Kids to feed

That often I think there could be three senarios to this -

1/ You will get pissed off pretty quickly.

2/ You will eventually try and go as fast as the other traffic and roll it.

3/ Fortuna/Vigo/D-Max driver will get fed up and wipe you out.

I used to drive one from Bangkok to Yasothon fairly regularly. It kept up with traffic and I never had any problems. The only problem is that it will beat you to death with the rough ride. The drivers who wanted to drive really fast gave me plenty of room because of the heavy pipe bumpers front and back. It will run down the road at 90 KPH all day long.

Have done Chiangmai-Bangkok a number of times in a Caribean. No problem keeping up with all traffic.

Just check with the agent, Ariyakit, out towards Sansai how many more years they'll have parts for as they don't make them/sell them new any more. Good, inexpensive service from the agent - friendly people too. We had a Caribbean and then a Vitara for may years.

CMMCB

they are dirt cheap to maintain and there is alot of decent service in surat because samui and phanngan have so many of them

Caribeans are all right. Yes they are a little bit under powered, but you can allways swap a Vitara engine inside and than its gonna be fun. I have a red one in excellent condition. PM me for details, if you are interested.

not quick in the mountains but will def get you there

Have done Chiangmai-Bangkok a number of times in a Caribean. No problem keeping up with all traffic.

Just check with the agent, Ariyakit, out towards Sansai how many more years they'll have parts for as they don't make them/sell them new any more. Good, inexpensive service from the agent - friendly people too. We had a Caribbean and then a Vitara for may years.

CMMCB

Thanks for all the good info and anecdotes. I feel very informed for making my decision!