Pattaya Officials Inspect Wheelchair Access After Complaints

Rimmer

Pattaya Officials Inspect Wheelchair Access After Complaints
2194.jpg
Pattaya officials have inspected a wheelchair way after they received complaints that it had been obstructed by people parking cars and bikes on the way.

PATTAYA– October 24, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News]; Mr.Rattanachai Sutthidechanai-president of Pattaya tourism and tourism association- and police officers inspected a wheelchair way in Central Pattaya after they were notified that disabled people were having difficulty using the way.

Ms.Jutamat Klongnava aged 41 a disabled person revealed that people parked cars and motorcycles on some parts of the way. The disabled people then had to use the main road to get past which was very dangerous. Plus this caused traffic congestion.

Mr.Rattanachai revealed that Mr.Ittipol Khunpluem-mayor of Pattaya- had ordered them to investigate the truth after hearing the complaints .

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-officials-inspect-wheelchair-access-complaints/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-10-26

I have walked along that stretch of road quite often. I would say cars or bikes obstruct it at all. They have taken it over completely.

Why doesn't the mayor take a drive along the road rather than sending a team to look ?

Oh and whats the bet they go to look at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I should add the reason this wheelchair way was built is because there is actually a school for the handicapped on that stretch of road. So it has a lot of wheelchair users coming and going all day long.

Edited by bertty
  • Like 2

It is not hard to fix. Post notices in 5 language on every post. As of tommorrow and bikes or cars will be taken away. It will be ignored. Then actually get large trucks to pick up the bikes and tow away the cars and just leave them somewhere the other side of the lake. Broadcast where they have been taken.

We had a problem of illegally parked and abandoned vehicles etc in a miltary base in Australia. Then we established an Urban Search and Rescue training centre and authorised use of the vehicles for jaws of life training. the illegally parked vehicles were very quickly removed when the owners realised their fate and walked the extra 80 metres to the canteen.

• Like 1

Its comical..there are not ADA accessible stored or sidewalks in all of Thailand.. Sidewalks are pathetically poorly maintained.

I always wondered...how much can it cost to go through High tourist areas and fix the damn sidewalks?? They take in all that cash from

tourists and they do nothing to repair the hardscape with it.

• Like 2

Not to be a wise guy, but the sidewalks, entrances and so forth are difficult enough for ppl that walk. High curbs from road to sidewalk and brickwork that is uneven after time, don't know why they don't put down a flat surface on the latter.

It is a problem though but lots of obstacles.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

The sidewalks, in general, are a mess and dangerous for healthy pedestrians, let alone those with mobility issues. A glaring example of the local Thai governments inability to remedy a problem that has been years in the making.

• Like 1

Most times in Nong Khai I have to walk in the street because the pavement is occupied of a lot of shops, Its impossible to use the walkways. Its the same all over Thailand. The royal thai police do not care, no pocket money from this.

Edited by espinoza

Is there even a 100 metre stretch of sidewalk in Pattaya that isn't obstructed? This is like a joke to say that the police, TAT and Pattaya's mayor are concerned.

Power poles, street vendors, abandoned telephone and their concrete bases and broken sidewalks on are on every street.

Pattaya is probably one of worst places, if not the worst in any tourist destination for handicapped people.

Needs of handicapped people in Thailand are almost completely ignored.

Exactly. I saw a Thai advert last night on TV where a Thai women buys a wheelchair for an elderly disabled woman (likely her mother) and liberated her. I said to the Mrs that a wheel-chair would only be good for the 50m from my gate to the cul-de-sac opening and from then on impossible.

Never mind, the powers that be in Pattaya will have a meeting!

Is there even a 100 metre stretch of sidewalk in Pattaya that isn't obstructed? This is like a joke to say that the police, TAT and Pattaya's mayor are concerned.

Power poles, street vendors, abandoned telephone and their concrete bases and broken sidewalks on are on every street.

Pattaya is probably one of worst places, if not the worst in any tourist destination for handicapped people.

You don't have to be handicapped to find Pattaya's sidewalks lacking. I as a walker have often twisted an ankle on a broken footpath, or bashed my head on a low level vendors cart roof or other low level obstruction. The mayor should try walking from Tukcom to the school gate on South Pattaya road. You have to push and push to get through the miriad of vendor stuff on the PUBLIC sidewalk. Police have cleaned it up and placed signs saying 2000 baht fine but the signs soon disappear and the congestion reappears. Pattaya is a tourist destination Mr Mayor, tourists do not travel around in chauffeur driven Benzs. Most like to walk but find difficulty doing so.

The concept of PUBLIC land does not seem to exist in Thailand. Public land is for the public not for someone to run a business on. The Thais seem to treat public land as COMMON land and it's a free for all to see who gets to occupy it first.

• 2 weeks later...

Well said.

I'm not handicapped but grew up with a grandmother that was, so I was packing a wheelchair into the trunk of my mom's car from the day I was old enough to lift it and grew up around a wheelchair.

Got my ass beat a few time for playing with Granny's wheelchair tongue.png

The stairs and doorjambs can be negotiated if you have a young healthy kid as muscle (me).

I honestly feel like I'd be better off negotiating Pattaya sidewalks with a pogo stick as opposed to walking!

I can't imagine trying it in a wheelchair.

Edited by jaywalker