Burglary

Hisseho

Hello,

I just arrived and I found a nice house to rent in a smart and guarded subdivision at San Sai.

As I have a problem with the air conditioning I leave the windows and doors open and it suits me. The only problem is the general closure when I go out. Personally I leave open at least during the day but my Thai wife dissuaded me.

And you, do you had or knew stories of housebreaking in the circumstances and more generally, should we fear especially rob in this city?

You should never leave windows,doors open if you are going out (if thats what you are saying)

thats just asking for trouble,all you need to do is take simple precautions when going out,like

leaving radio on, shoes outside the door,lights on at night, just making it look like someone is

at home.so they go to the house down the road that is taking no precautions and looks empty,

Lived here 25 years in same house,up till now no problems,(touch wood), also if you do get burgled

the are not as destructive as in the West,UK at least where they will destroy everything you have

just to be nasty,and even shit on the living room floor.

So its not a big worry for me.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Don't know if you live near me in San Sai and though I don't live in a housing development I don't close my house up. Usually there is someone around and if not I lock the gate.

I didn't move to Thailand to be caged in, actually did because I felt safe here, which is the opposite reason.

Being that UG lives in an urban setting his advice is understandable.

I also find that some people live thier life based on one persons experience or more often one of a friend's friend's friend.

From my experince many locals are easily afraid and prone to believe rumors so I suggest consider the source of you advice incl that of TV posters (present company incl. :) )

• Like 1

I live in a 20-year-old moo baan in Sansai. Burglary happens here whether you have bars on the windows or not, but I suspect it's much less common here than back home. The local or boh toh guy's house has been broken into twice. There's a construction tool that easily goes into the walls and gets the bars out but our bars could easily be kicked out. We had them rewelded when we replaced our windows (and had the man work out a way for us to open one in the bedroom from the inside in case of fire), but if someone really wants to get in they'll find a way. I think having a regular schedule for leaving the house makes you an easier target. Also, informing the moo baan staff may or may not be a great idea when you take an overnight trip. One couple in the neighborhood had two motorbikes stolen after informing the guards they'd be gone two nights. The wife virulently blames the moo baan staff, who they'd told, but I suspect the wife, who talks like a bar girl and has another 'friend' when hubby is away. Anyway, we don't have that much that a burglar would want so even if they come in it won't be a crushing blow. We lock our bedroom door at night in case someone does come in. These small measures give me sufficient peace of mind. I would rather not have bars on the windows but I spend a lot of time in my garden so it's not a big deal.

EDIT: I just noticed the post above mine. That's exactly what we did with the bedroom window. Before we made that the wife and I actually got stuck in our bedroom once when the doorknob malfunctioned. We had to call the wife's brother and have him break in. Not a problem for him.

Edited by Somnambulist

Just put hinges on a barred escape door/window and a lock inside that can be opened with a key. That way you can get out if you need to and it is more difficult for criminals to get in.

Smoked filled house,your panicking,where did you put the key ....,

what about the kids or other people in the other bedrooms,

your stuff you can replace,you only get one life,i think. but

thats just my opinion.

regards Worgeordie

There are ways to do bars that provide for exit, use your imagination, if you can not think of something try again tomorrow after a good sleep.

Another option is one or two secure rooms for valuables and the rest unbarred.

In the same mind of not feeling like living always worried I wouldn't want to have to think "did I put the iPad in a safe room?" etc. Anyways I have a open floor plan like many homes here so it's that much more difficult to secure the Tvs etc.

I put my valuables in a bank safety box and just get them out when I want them.

I agree that for me I'd rather risk losing a few things then live a life of worry.

Also home insurance is reasonsably priced and pays out here.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 2

I live in a 20-year-old moo baan in Sansai. Burglary happens here whether you have bars on the windows or not, but I suspect it's much less common here than back home. The local or boh toh guy's house has been broken into twice. There's a construction tool that easily goes into the walls and gets the bars out but our bars could easily be kicked out. We had them rewelded when we replaced our windows (and had the man work out a way for us to open one in the bedroom from the inside in case of fire), but if someone really wants to get in they'll find a way. I think having a regular schedule for leaving the house makes you an easier target. Also, informing the moo baan staff may or may not be a great idea when you take an overnight trip. One couple in the neighborhood had two motorbikes stolen after informing the guards they'd be gone two nights. The wife virulently blames the moo baan staff, who they'd told, but I suspect the wife, who talks like a bar girl and has another 'friend' when hubby is away. Anyway, we don't have that much that a burglar would want so even if they come in it won't be a crushing blow. We lock our bedroom door at night in case someone does come in. These small measures give me sufficient peace of mind. I would rather not have bars on the windows but I spend a lot of time in my garden so it's not a big deal.

EDIT: I just noticed the post above mine. That's exactly what we did with the bedroom window. Before we made that the wife and I actually got stuck in our bedroom once when the doorknob malfunctioned. We had to call the wife's brother and have him break in. Not a problem for him.

Why? Does the "brother" come over a lot?

Edited by mesquite

Just put hinges on a barred escape door/window and a lock inside that can be opened with a key. That way you can get out if you need to and it is more difficult for criminals to get in.

thats just my opinion.

regards Worgeordie

There are ways to do bars that provide for exit, use your imagination, if you can not think of something try again tomorrow after a good sleep.

Try and imagine the fires raging ,smoke filled house,in scenarios like that fumbling with keys and locks,

when seconds count,but its up to you,and i sleep good at night knowing I could get out very quickly if

disaster occurred.

regards Worgeordie

thats just my opinion.

regards Worgeordie

Try and imagine the fires raging ,smoke filled house,in scenarios like that fumbling with keys and locks,

when seconds count,but its up to you,and i sleep good at night knowing I could get out very quickly if

disaster occurred.

regards Worgeordie

Your "try and imagine" is putting yourself in the worst possible situation and one that realistically is not necessary

Imagine something besides keys, try to imagine a house with secure spaces and insecure spaces=spaces without bars.

Given what my house is made of and what is in it, it is hard to imagine "raging fires" in it and I certainly do not care about an iPad or a TV set. Been here more than 25 years and can not recall one story of a family burned to death in their house because there were bars on their windows, it probably happened but it is probably less likely than getting whacked on the road. Wood houses are vulnerable but not many of those left.

OK Dante, so you have a fire proof house,but what about other people who have

actual furniture,curtains,have you ever seen how a sofa can blaze away,at the

same time giving off noxious fumes.

You have your opinion and i have mine,its just i don't fancy been burnt to a crisp,

just because i cannot get out of the house quickly enough,no matter how minute

the chances maybe.

So your house has secure spaces and insecure spaces,but i am trying to inform

the majority of people who have bars on the windows,and their only way of escape

is through the front or back doors.

regards worgeordie

Not for me to live behind bars, I prefer much risk some furniture.

But actually I found here an amazing tranquility and a peaceful ambiance that. For example, I surprised my neighbor Thai cleaning the wheel of my car on which his dog had pissed. Can not see that in the West.

Is it an illusion?

Not quite a fire proof house but not a fire trap. The issue of fire and window bars is a real one and worth consideration. I am just suggesting some alternative considerations. My first houses had bars but now I live without them and accept the related minute risks and many others.

Cheers Mr. Geordie

• Like 1

I was amazed to find out that the "attic" floor in the house I'm renting is covered with chain link fencing. It was explained to me that burglars have been known to remove roofing tiles and enter through the ceilings. I found this quite extreme (and still do), but apparently the landlady prefers the security that the fencing material provides. Oh, but FYI, the whole attic is not protected in this manner, only about half of it.

That said, I've heard of no break-ins in my neighborhood north of town in the 4 years I've been here; I feel really safe, and I sleep well with no bars on the windows.

Pertinent to the post though, maybe added lighting at night or motion-detecting lights would be sufficient to overcome your fears.

Edited by MrBrad

Mostly cement construction...how often do these burn down?

Not often, the UK has similar construction, brick and tile.

You DO see them burnt out with whole families dead from smoke (and they only have double glazing, no bars).

You need a way out that is quick and easy, no keys or other blocks, you (or your kids) need to be rescuable from outside, every second can count (fit interlinked smoke detectors).

Those who have never been trapped by fire simply do not understand!

My step-brother died along with his wife and son in this house (he was 49), no bars.

post-14979-0-39027900-1414414824_thumb.j

• Like 2

I will say in my bike rides they the villages of Mae rim the western style homes seem to have bars on their windows in poor areas where the rest of the homes are on stilts...

There seems to be the fear is if one has wealth via a nice home in the countryside security measures are put in place...

One would have to secure stats to support either side...Thais don't like to waste money so my guess there is some validity to it...

Never live in a place where bars are needed or compound wall required...

We had a few burglaries in our village last year, of the 15 houses around mine, three were broken into. Some houses have iron bars over the windows, some don't, but that wasn't a factor in which houses got burgled.

The houses broken into didn't have dogs. The houses with dogs didn't get broken into. Not that that's a reason to get a dog.

I was amazed to find out that the "attic" floor in the house I'm renting is covered with chain link fencing. It was explained to me that burglars have been known to remove roofing tiles and enter through the ceilings. I found this quite extreme (and still do), but apparently the landlady prefers the security that the fencing material provides. Oh, but FYI, the whole attic is not protected in this manner, only about half of it.

That said, I've heard of no break-ins in my neighborhood north of town in the 4 years I've been here; I feel really safe, and I sleep well with no bars on the windows.

Pertinent to the post though, maybe added lighting at night or motion-detecting lights would be sufficient to overcome your fears.

That's a fairly common way for Bill the burglar to enter houses in Australia. I was quite skeptical when first told, until a neighbour got broken into that way, then I thought it so ingenious I wondered why it wasn't common in England.

• Like 1

been residing out in beverly hills,mae rim for 9 yrs or more

during this time there has been several minor break ins in our area,but nothing large enuff to get your dandy up

when we purchased our land and commenced to build,we were advised by our builder to pay for a red police box service

his reasoning was that being in, then a very remote area, and having expensive building materials open to theft ,this service would deter theives to a large degree

me and my old gal agreed that his idea had very good merit,and engaged their sevices,which costs 1000 baht a month

the service provides a visit by patrol police each day,always at different times, we have our names registered at mae rim police dept,and two numbers to ring for any emergency

during our building period,we were impressed with their services,that we decided to keep them on til this day

and touch wood we have had a free of burglary time

just very recently i had a minor car accident ,which i immediately called for their help ,and was given 5 star service during a difficult time

the police protection service, in our way of living and thinking ,is worth its weight in gold

a glorious good morning to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 1

That's a fairly common way for Bill the burglar to enter houses in Australia. I was quite skeptical when first told, until a neighbour got broken into that way, then I thought it so ingenious I wondered why it wasn't common in England.

It is VERY common in Thailand. I've had several different businesses broken into over the years and it was through the roof every single time. There have been quite a few burglaries in the Thapae Gate area - all through the roof as well.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I have just about finished building my new house. I will most likely install a few motion sensors in a couple of rooms. If unwelcome visitors break in the sensors will kick in with a siren, installed in the roof space, which will let out a massive racket. Also stick on small security stickers on all the outside doors and windows.

• Like 1

I have just about finished building my new house. I will most likely install a few motion sensors in a couple of rooms. If unwelcome visitors break in the sensors will kick in with a siren, installed in the roof space, which will let out a massive racket. Also stick on small security stickers on all the outside doors and windows.

Here's an idea. May have to work out any legal issues, but food for thought.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-11-28/news/9711280208_1_harris-family-wrongful-death-property-owners

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

It is VERY common in Thailand. I've had several different businesses broken into over the years and it was through the roof every single time. There have been quite a few burglaries in the Thapae Gate area - all through the roof as well.

Only 2 houses in our village burgled as far as I know. Both times through the removal of roof tiles and then down the the hatch in the bathroom ceiling. If someone really wants to get in they will find a

way bars or no bars.As we live in a country with a lot of poverty I am surprised there are no more break ins in residential properties