What is wrong with Kad Suan Kaew?

jko

I spent an afternoon in KSK during the 23 October public holiday, and a time when city malls are usually busy.

Lower floors were quiet, even Tops Supermarket. The upper floors were almost deserted - just a few people here and there.

The back section with the sports department had just three customers. IT City has moved, and has downsized iself to a fraction of its original.

My hairdresser in this back section told me he is movingout into the city - there are no customers here any more he said. Other hairdressers were empty, as were most small shops. The argument for an empty Promenada because of location is valid, but this obviously cannot apply to KSK.

This is sad, and it does not bode well for what was once the city's prime shopping centre.

All the sadder since it houses what must be the best and most impressive auditorium in N. Thailand - the Kad Theatre, which seats over 1,400. Theoretically, it should be packed every evening or at least at weekends with residents and tourists listening to symphony orchestras, concerts, watching drama productions, etc., but little effort is apparently made to promote it. If there are any upcoming events, I could find nothing on a search, or on their web site

I left KSK with the feeling that they are just leaving it to die slowly - or am I wrong?

Edited by jko

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought KSK was always half dead, this is going back over at least 10 years. we usually stay there when visiting CM mainly because we get a good rate and it's in a good location for the things we want to do.

But dying - maybe it's a creeping paralysis.

• Like 1

Out with the old and in with the new. KSK been sliding downhill for awhile now, zero maintenance hasn't helped either. It's just been run into the ground. Maya will fill the inner city gap while airport plaza, promenada and festival fill the rest.

• Like 2

I've had it with Tops KSK.

The security guards are creepy and had one of them bearing down on me at the check out like I stole something. These guards are farm dumb.

I have been going there for maybe 10 years and dropping lots of bahts almost everyday.

Rimping at Maya or the Tops Chotana are much more friendly and they appreciate the business.

Hopefully this doesn't fall under the C-ship stuff because I still really like the other Tops stores and the issue I have with that branch is correctable with slightly better management.

The fundamental problem with a lot of businesses in Thailand is that they don't actively seek input for ideas of how to improve their businesses.

If KSK mgmt. had any sense they would send girls out with clipboards to ask visitors for feedback on services they like and want and find out what they dislike.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

I moved back to the city 2 months back, and was recently invited to a wind ensemble concert in the Kad auditorium.

I was amazed! It's so big, acoustically excellent, and the orchestra was first rate. I'll certainly be going back there.

As to the shopping, there are far cheaper places around town. I'm sure expats who are living here, head for the markets downtown, if buying in bulk or fresh produce.

I can't understand why the stores in KSK import bedding materials, sheets and the like which must attract a huge tax and similar products are at Kad Luang for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, Kad Suan Keow is handy for some quick shopping and TOPS downstairs has a reasonable range, but none of the stores are where I go if I'm trying to stretch the pension to last the month out, with the exception of the mobile phone and accessories stores.

There is also the other consideration, that Chiang Mai might just be over-supplied with mega malls right now, and the city is hardly inviting as far as traffic and parking is concerned.

I use to like KSK a lot if nothing else but to cruise a bit & I liked Sportsworld.

These days I rarely go there mainly because I really have gotten to hate

Huaykaew Road it is a mess whether I am on the motorbike or driving the truck.

But one thing I always thought when entering KSK is I sure would not want to be in there

during the slightest earthquake....hahah just looks iffy with age especially the multi level parking lot.

Now that Promenade has a Sportsworld I tend to go there + the restaurants at Prom

They could start by simply levelling out and sealing the dirt car park. If it rains there are some deep puddles to navigate past when walking back to your car. And they charge you to park there!

What reason is there for anyone to go there? So many other places with better location parking and access.

Get it over with and convert it to a condo

^^^^ why are you going on about what's wrong with postings and threads on ThaiVisa ???????????????

It's something about human nature to go criticize other posters to get some passive aggressive points.

How would you like it if someone came into a thread you were interested in and said

Hey big dong's are so overrated. They feel like sandpaper in your muffler?

• Like 2

just a old nark been on evenstevens back, ever since my very first post on my# green valley condo thread # which i opened last march

been bucking hard, but he sure is a top poster rider, very hard to dislodge, like all pests

ksk sure needs a facelift, in fact a major one,agree with members comments given on this lively threadbiggrin.png

a great afternoon to all smile.png

Edited by evenstevens

In shopping center strategy, at least in the US, the anchor tenant or tenants are the major draw and are often given the land free as long as they enter into a covenant to operate for a substantial amount of time. Mall tenants pay very high rent as the foot traffic created by the "major" are hopefully lured into a mall tenant who couldn't draw foot traffic on their own.
So even if the store is a dud and not making money, the owner must continue to operate once he signs the covenant to operate.

I don't know who owns this center but talking to one of the department managers at Central Department Store when Festival was about to open, he was hoping he would be able to move to the new store in Festival as he expected his store would close. The amount of business Central Department Store did at that location was never impressive even on very hot days when Thais sauntered around it floors to keep cool.

I can't believe at a marginally profitable store like that one management would open a competitive store in the newest center and hope to keep the old one viable.

KSK is run down and old style but its still pulling in a lot of people who either live close by or find the businesses that are there serve their needs. I think every Thai bank is there,Central,all the

pharmacy chains and of course Tops. While twiddling my thumbs waiting for my wife, who was at the hairdressers there last week the food court was half full at lunchtime and there seemed to be a

steady stream of people coming through . Not everybody needs the glitz and glamour of a new mall and I bet Promenada would love to have the floor traffic through that KSK enjoys.

• Like 1

^^^^ why are you going on about what's wrong with postings and threads on ThaiVisa ???????????????

It's something about human nature to go criticize other posters to get some passive aggressive points.

How would you like it if someone came into a thread you were interested in and said

Thanks, I will work on that and use your post # 3 on the How to make friends thread as an example.

In regards to your "How would you like it..." question, I doubt it would bother me much considering the kind of posts that are frequently made herein. Like do you really think that NJ gives a shit about the abuse you repeatedly dump on him? OR maybe he does in which case how do you think he feels?

I love KSK for the tasty 25 baht meals at rear food court and 10 baht ping pong. I've not seen the auditorium but everything else is dying. Would be a great venue for a horror movie thanks to the creepy back alleys and decrepit air ducts. The whole building should really be demolished, it is an eyesore. Seems pretty busy at weekends to me.

Edited by mat999

@sparkles...sadly there is no kasikorn bank there which had annoyed me several times. Two atms though.

Sadly the smaller businesses now are slowly closing down and its starting from the extremeties; only the high profile stores with a big mark up on profit will stay longer.

When Central clears out that will be the death nell.

I actually thought central with its many cosmetics counters were just hanging on until Festival was built then ship all their businesses over there but maybe there is opportunity at Maya for them.

In ksk the busiest hot spot has to be around the 4 atm machines fresh fruit and cake stalls dvds on the ground floor entrance to tops.

What a pile of crap for sale there but its buzzing all the time.

I stopped going in as often when kamizagi bread shop moved out and some poncie cake shop took over.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will work on that and use your post # 3 on the How to make friends thread as an example.

In regards to your "How would you like it..." question, I doubt it would bother me much considering the kind of posts that are frequently made herein. Like do you really think that NJ gives a shit about the abuse you repeatedly dump on him? OR maybe he does in which case how do you think he feels?

he uses him for amusement. What he never wants to be.

• Like 1

I can't understand why the stores in KSK import bedding materials, sheets and the like which must attract a huge tax and similar products are at Kad Luang for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, Kad Suan Keow is handy for some quick shopping and TOPS downstairs has a reasonable range, but none of the stores are where I go if I'm trying to stretch the pension to last the month out, with the exception of the mobile phone and accessories stores.

There is also the other consideration, that Chiang Mai might just be over-supplied with mega malls right now, and the city is hardly inviting as far as traffic and parking is concerned.

the reason Thais and foreigners prefer to buy their bedding materials in KSK is because of quality. the quality sold at Kad Luang is garbage. it won't last 18-24 months before it frays and becomes nothing more than rags to clean your house with. KSK has sales 2 or 3 times each year on their bedding with many nice sets imported from Japan at mark downs of up to 70%. yes 70%. and those sets of bed sheets will last more than 4 or even 5 years (350-500 thread count fabric).

I love KSK for the tasty 25 baht meals at rear food court and 10 baht ping pong. I've not seen the auditorium but everything else is dying. Would be a great venue for a horror movie thanks to the creepy back alleys and decrepit air ducts. The whole building should really be demolished, it is an eyesore. Seems pretty busy at weekends to me.

The place is full of zombies already, walking and texting at the same time....

I was there today. Seemed fairly busy for a Monday afternoon.

So was I and thought how quiet it was. Definitely more staff than customers in Central. Nice lunch in Sizzler but only about 5-6 tables taken.

Killing time while my pc was being fixed at Computer Plaza, so did some shopping in Tops- quiet. No check out queues. Great for us but not for business owners there.