Super Tower: More details about Bangkok's ambitious skyscraper

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wasted space, money and creating a traffic nightmare. Not to mention an estimated 40% occupancy of the building.

Don't worry about the occupancy of the building, or the cost, those will be the owner's problems, they won't affect you.

Why would it be a waste of space, seems that using space vertically is a good way of not wasting ground space, surely? And a traffic nightmare, why?

Traffic nightmare because of population density. That tower alone will be able to hold and occupy by a lot of people given in a restricted amount of "land space". Basically near it is the central world plaza with a land area of 2km x 1km and holds 10,000 people, so 5,000 parking spaces will be needed.

Now you have this huge tower with occupies 1km x 1km and holds 30,000 people, and 15,000 parking spaces will be needed.

These numbers are fictional and used for this example only. Viewer discretion is advised.

What is traffic? Traffic is the flow of automobiles in a given road space. To maintain the same level of traffic before the tower is built, we would need "towers of highways stacked on top of each other" to compensate for the building's new visitors.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open your eyes oh negative ones. There are already some incredibly beautiful buildings in this remarkable city that has risen from low rise to high rise in a few short decades. There exists a fabulous variety of innovative structures. But truly high there isnt. I think that if the investors can sort this then a really tall and beautiful structure could be the icon that could help to kickstart a greater sense of national pride and unity. London gas a gherkin , maybe we could have a big chili curving majestically into the night sky.

As I understand it, Bangkok is built on essentially marshy land. I wonder how deep they will have to go with the foundations? Quite a long way down, I'd imagine. That could well be the solution to the 15000 parking spaces if there are multiple levels below ground. Are there any estimates on cost yet?

Open your eyes oh negative ones. There are already some incredibly beautiful buildings in this remarkable city that has risen from low rise to high rise in a few short decades. There exists a fabulous variety of innovative structures. But truly high there isnt. I think that if the investors can sort this then a really tall and beautiful structure could be the icon that could help to kickstart a greater sense of national pride and unity. London gas a gherkin , maybe we could have a big chili curving majestically into the night sky.

"greater sense of national pride"?!

Thais are already among the most nationalistic people in the world.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I worked on the Burj Khalifa, also the River Project in Bangkok. Love to get a gig on this baby smile.png

would you care to translate your post into English?

I worked on the Burj Khalifa, also the River Project in Bangkok. Love to get a gig on this baby smile.png

would you care to translate your post into English?

He worked on Burj Khalifa (tallest, building in the world?), then The River Bangkok (huge condo project next to Chaya Phraya river). And he would love to work in this project, as in the Super Tower that this thread is about thumbsup.gif

Hmm... I'm not sure how 'skyscraper' and 'sustainability' are 'related'. I'm not a building-and-construction expert but having been in a few of these 'green buildings', I just feel that the green credentials are nothing but brochure-speak. It's like trying to justify art with a paragraph of corporate-babble known as 'rationale'.

But is that not the area along the river that is prone to flooding and land slippage - sinking even?

DO NOT let this get in the way of being THE BIGGEST and obviously the HUB of every large erection!

Hmm. Dealing with these considerations must have evaded the engineers. Thank goodness a smart fellow like yourself is around. It is your moral duty to contact them and set them straight.:cheesy:
  • Like 1