Can personal loan creditor prohibit me from leaving country?

This is not true. You can be stopped from leaving if there is an outstanding arrest warrant showing on the computer.

Sure. An arrest warrant can be made by a Court. The meaning is that an "official" act is needed.

How are you 100% sure of that? In a court case they just notify at last known address. If the guy has moved since he may not know if there has actually been proceedings!

I'm not debating if the subject knows of notifications. I claim that an official act is needed, not just phone calls.

How are you 100% sure of that? In a court case they just notify at last known address. If the guy has moved since he may not know if there has actually been proceedings!

I'm not debating if the subject knows of notifications. I claim that an official act is needed, not just phone calls.

I can see that but I hope you also see that sometimes, the official act may not be known!

I'm not running, It's a border run. I will be back to fight for my investment. Here's an analogy for the critics: You put money down on a taxi and make payments from the income from fares, but the taxi they sold you had no engine.

But you would at least check to see if it had an engine before agreeing wouldn't you ???

Then check to see if the engine actually worked ???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN
  • Like 1

With good revenue, why were they selling the business?

Did they allow you to examine the financial records?

Did you examine the past years revenue and expenses?

After buying the business were you responsible for running the business?

It sounds likely you borrowed money to make an investment without adequate investigation .

Is the loan from the people that sold you the investment or someone else?

Maybe good you didn't use your own money for the investment because now you can default on the loan with little personal loss.

This is not true. You can be stopped from leaving if there is an outstanding arrest warrant showing on the computer.

Sure. An arrest warrant can be made by a Court. The meaning is that an "official" act is needed.

You are backtracking. Since the vast majority of arrest warrants are issued without the knowledge of the person who is the subject of the arrest warrant, you would have no way of knowing until you tried to pass through immigration whether you would be prevented from leaving. You earlier post suggested otherwise.

You are backtracking. Since the vast majority of arrest warrants are issued without the knowledge of the person who is the subject of the arrest warrant, you would have no way of knowing until you tried to pass through immigration whether you would be prevented from leaving. You earlier post suggested otherwise.

I give up. From now on the topic is officially changed from "personal loan" to "being served legal papers without knowing".

train.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after few tense moments at Suvarnabhum, I passed immigration no problem. Just to reiterate, the loaner did not loan me any money. They simply sold me shares of the company to paid in monthly instalments which were 100% based on stated revenue and projections which were inflated. They got a very significant down payment, more than the company is actually worth not including the additional payments. Now they are just trying to use intimidation to squeeze me for more. I'm returning with the hope that the legal system will be favourable to me.

Well after few tense moments at Suvarnabhum, I passed immigration no problem. Just to reiterate, the loaner did not loan me any money. They simply sold me shares of the company to paid in monthly instalments which were 100% based on stated revenue and projections which were inflated. They got a very significant down payment, more than the company is actually worth not including the additional payments. Now they are just trying to use intimidation to squeeze me for more. I'm returning with the hope that the legal system will be favourable to me.

Thanks fore the update, and good luck with the court case.

In spite of what you sometimes read, I do believe the court system to be fair.

I was sold shares in a company that boasted 9 million annual profit. In addition to considerable investment in millions of baht, part of the sales agreement was based on a considerable loan payment per month for a fixed period. Paying this loan was assuming the stated income was true. Gullible me fell for the presentation. The first month net was -30,000. I won't go into the long story, that's a novel. Bottom line, 'm not paying a loan based on a fraud. Fortunately, I have good lawyers, but it will probably suck my life for the next year or two.

And, this immigration threat is just one of many threats and intimidation tactics. It's pathetic how these types of people will seek more blood even after they already stabbed you in the back.

I sucks to be "that guy". I heard the horror stories my first two years in Thailand. I was confident I wouldn't let anything stupid like this happen to me. I still don't know how they did it. It's almost like I was hypnotised!

Have a Thai friend who handed over all their money to someone they don't know. Also met a guy once who emptied his account at an ATM and handed the lot over to a group of Thais. Apparently they use a drug such a Rohipnol and transfer it by contact. Once it is on your hand if you rub your eyes or touch your mouth the dose is administered. When you know people well and have prolonged contact it is much easier to administer.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flunitrazepam#Drug-facilitated_robbery

Not saying this happened but food for thought if you really don't understand why you did it. My Thai friend is still very confused about what they did.