To lock or not to lock

Anthony5

If someone really wants to get into your house they will.

They can poison the dogs (actually they don't have to even do that, most dogs are all bark and no bite unless you have trained guard dogs) and they can bypass the bars and go through the roof.

I asked the poignant question before, how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Ladders and cutting tools and the whole village watching you break into my roof while all the dogs in the soi are barking? As far as dogs not biting I won't go there. Like I said above. Get good bars, a couple of dogs, a big safe (not very expensive) and picture trying to haul a 600 pound safe through the roof as the dogs bark and the soi is all out front watching.

I wasn't talking about an opportunist, I was talking about a pro burglar. Sure, if you have some dogs and bars you can stop an opportunist.

My point was that if a pro really wants to get in they will find a way no matter how many bars you put up.

Making it difficult to take stuff out of your house once they get in is another matter altogether.

I don't think so. The topic is to lock or not and a 600 pound locked safe in your home is certainly locked up.

Professional burglars. 1. Cat burglar; the dogs will take care of that. 2. Professional para military safe crackers, delta force and seal teams. I have never seen these operate in Thailand outside of Cobra Gold. 3. Construction teams equipped with a bulldozer and metal cutting torches and grinding equipment and a big truck with crane. There's the danger.

How realistic is it to imagine a construction team will rob my house? They have to pay the guys and rent the equipment. I live in an industrial area and these things are for rent here. For a couple of hundred thousand baht you could break into my house. Somchai and his two teenage thugs on motor scooters are not going to get in.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone really wants to get into your house they will.

They can poison the dogs (actually they don't have to even do that, most dogs are all bark and no bite unless you have trained guard dogs) and they can bypass the bars and go through the roof.

I asked the poignant question before, how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Ladders and cutting tools and the whole village watching you break into my roof while all the dogs in the soi are barking? As far as dogs not biting I won't go there. Like I said above. Get good bars, a couple of dogs, a big safe (not very expensive) and picture trying to haul a 600 pound safe through the roof as the dogs bark and the soi is all out front watching.

I wasn't talking about an opportunist, I was talking about a pro burglar. Sure, if you have some dogs and bars you can stop an opportunist.

My point was that if a pro really wants to get in they will find a way no matter how many bars you put up.

Making it difficult to take stuff out of your house once they get in is another matter altogether.

I don't think so. The topic is to lock or not and a 600 pound locked safe in your home is certainly locked up.

Professional burglars. 1. Cat burglar; the dogs will take care of that. 2. Professional para military safe crackers, delta force and seal teams. I have never seen these operate in Thailand outside of Cobra Gold. 3. Construction teams equipped with a bulldozer and metal cutting torches and grinding equipment and a big truck with crane. There's the danger.

How realistic is it to imagine a construction team will rob my house? They have to pay the guys and rent the equipment. I live in an industrial area and these things are for rent here. For a couple of hundred thousand baht you could break into my house. Somchai and his two teenage thugs on motor scooters are not going to get in.

I think 'to lock or not' refers to doors and windows, ie should you attempt to prevent a burglar getting in or should you just leave them unlocked as they may well be able to get in anyway and just cause extra damage in the process.

A construction team would not be needed to break into your house and steal valuables. Maybe some poisoned steak would be needed for dogs and depending on the skill of the climbers and design of the house some climbing equipment to get to the roof.

And yes, you are right it is unlikely they will bother targeting your house as there will be others that are easier. That is unless they suspect you have something of great value they can take and that it will be worth the extra risk. In that case they will get in. Maybe they can't take your safe, but they will get in to your house.

The only way to prevent this, as I said in my 1st post, is to have an early warning system and the ability to deploy somone within a few minutes.

I think 'to lock or not' refers to doors and windows, ie should you attempt to prevent a burglar getting in or should you just leave them unlocked as they may well be able to get in anyway and just cause extra damage in the process.

A construction team would not be needed to break into your house and steal valuables. Maybe some poisoned steak would be needed for dogs and depending on the skill of the climbers and design of the house some climbing equipment to get to the roof.

And yes, you are right it is unlikely they will bother targeting your house as there will be others that are easier. That is unless they suspect you have something of great value they can take and that it will be worth the extra risk. In that case they will get in. Maybe they can't take your safe, but they will get in to your house.

The only way to prevent this, as I said in my 1st post, is to have an early warning system and the ability to deploy somone within a few minutes.

Please don't think I'm trying to be argumentative for the sake of argument. I live in Thailand and have thought about this a bit.

Who or how would you deploy for assistance? I've thought about cameras but that would just give me a robbery documentary it's not like anyone is going to go catch anyone or me get back anything.

I have to ask the question. Would you leave your house unlocked in your home country? If not then why should it be any different here?

Burglars look for a quick entry and exit unless they know your place is full of high value items and then it will be a carefully planned raid.

I've never heard of any insurance company that was willing to pay out on a claim on an unlocked property.

I have to ask the question. Would you leave your house unlocked in your home country? If not then why should it be any different here?

Burglars look for a quick entry and exit unless they know your place is full of high value items and then it will be a carefully planned raid.

I've never heard of any insurance company that was willing to pay out on a claim on an unlocked property.

An insurance company in Thailand?

• 3 weeks later...

In my home country secluded properties with 2 meter high perimeter walls with security system on top are very rare.

But since I have exactly that, a quick entry and exit doesn't really applies.

Just returned from a 2 week trip to Europe, with the doors unlocked as I couldn't find where I placed the keys, and everything still in place.