Thai Script In Filemaker Pro 8

salween

Has anyone had luck with Filemaker Pro 8 on a Mac with Thai script? I did search various forums, and was not successful in finding any reference to this. I've also posted this question to the Thai Language Fourm, but no luck there yet either.

When entering data from the keyboard Filemaker does not seem to accept subscript or superscript characters. Basic consonants are fine, but add something to them and “beep”. Interestingly, in naming files or defining fields, etc. there are no problems; the program accepts all characters from the keyboard. Only when actually entering data into a field, the most important action, it fails? Pasting data into fields works, as does importing data from another file, but not entering direclty from the (entire) keyboard itslef.

I’ve only found one place in the various preference settings which references (unicode) language settings, and that is for indexing and sorting. But this should have no effect on data entry? I’ve since learned, however, that Filemaker can only index a subset of unicode languages and Thai’s not yet one of them. It will still sort, just not how we’d see things in a dictionary. But this, Filemaker states, is not supposed to impinge on the program’s ability to work with any unicode language that is supported by the operating system. Any experience out there?

Thanks.

Has anyone had luck with Filemaker Pro 8 on a Mac with Thai script? I did search various forums, and was not successful in finding any reference to this. I've also posted this question to the Thai Language Fourm, but no luck there yet either.

When entering data from the keyboard Filemaker does not seem to accept subscript or superscript characters. Basic consonants are fine, but add something to them and “beep”. Interestingly, in naming files or defining fields, etc. there are no problems; the program accepts all characters from the keyboard. Only when actually entering data into a field, the most important action, it fails? Pasting data into fields works, as does importing data from another file, but not entering direclty from the (entire) keyboard itslef.

I’ve only found one place in the various preference settings which references (unicode) language settings, and that is for indexing and sorting. But this should have no effect on data entry? I’ve since learned, however, that Filemaker can only index a subset of unicode languages and Thai’s not yet one of them. It will still sort, just not how we’d see things in a dictionary. But this, Filemaker states, is not supposed to impinge on the program’s ability to work with any unicode language that is supported by the operating system. Any experience out there?

Thanks.

Tray out "TypeThaiX 0.96b".

Free download:

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSha...&cty=US?=en

:o

Hi Salween

I'm afraid it's a documented limitation that has been around since FileMaker first began to offer Unicode input (in version 7, if I remember correctly). There are certain characters that FileMaker just won't accept. There is a support document that lists the relevant Unicode code points, but I don't happen to have the link with me. The page is useless anyway, because all it says is that it can't be done. I have often sent feedback asking for the issue to be fixed, but nothing has ever come of it, and I am running out of hope that it ever will.

I don't actually believe the suggestion about using TypeThaiX 0.96b is actually a solution, but it might work if you use the TTX (non-Unicode) keyboard. But of course you would then need to use a non-Unicode font as well, which I personally would rather not do. But you might like to try it.

HOWEVER ...

You *can* type Thai text into a pop-up custom dialog box (at least, I can on my Mac). So the workaround I use is to have a script that records what field you are currently in, then pops up a custom message asking you to insert the Thai text.

Type whatever you want ... click OK ... and bingo, your text will be there in Thai!

I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to the script as well, so that all I need to do is do is type Command-T (Control-T for Windows) and type away.

It's certainly not perfect, but it works for me. If you want further details about the script itself, please just ask. I'd be happy to share -- as long as you let me know if you make any improvements to it!

Cheers, Andrew

• 1 year later...
Hi Salween

I'm afraid it's a documented limitation that has been around since FileMaker first began to offer Unicode input (in version 7, if I remember correctly). There are certain characters that FileMaker just won't accept. There is a support document that lists the relevant Unicode code points, but I don't happen to have the link with me. The page is useless anyway, because all it says is that it can't be done. I have often sent feedback asking for the issue to be fixed, but nothing has ever come of it, and I am running out of hope that it ever will.

I don't actually believe the suggestion about using TypeThaiX 0.96b is actually a solution, but it might work if you use the TTX (non-Unicode) keyboard. But of course you would then need to use a non-Unicode font as well, which I personally would rather not do. But you might like to try it.

HOWEVER ...

You *can* type Thai text into a pop-up custom dialog box (at least, I can on my Mac). So the workaround I use is to have a script that records what field you are currently in, then pops up a custom message asking you to insert the Thai text.

Type whatever you want ... click OK ... and bingo, your text will be there in Thai!

I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to the script as well, so that all I need to do is do is type Command-T (Control-T for Windows) and type away.

It's certainly not perfect, but it works for me. If you want further details about the script itself, please just ask. I'd be happy to share -- as long as you let me know if you make any improvements to it!

Cheers, Andrew

Given that Andrew's reply is now two years old, I wonder if anyone can tell us if this has been addressed in FileMaker 9, or if switching from OS X 10.4.x to OS X 10.5.x would make any difference?

Thanks,

Kru Mac