Vee rubber tires ?

SOMeTOM

Hi all,

I got a Yamaha Nouvo 135, with front tire 80/90-16 and rear 80/100-16, currently both from DeeStone.

Last year i changed both after 3 years of looong rides, but to my surprise, after no more than a single year and short rides, the rear tire needs to be changed again.

I read good things about the IRC tires, but i cannot find them of the size i want.

One of the vendors around here, suggested me to buy his 80/100-16 Vee Rubber tire for 1.100 B. (seems a bit pricey calculating that i had another quote for a IRC 80/90-16 for 600B), but as i am not familiar with the brand, i am postponing the purchase.

In Bangkok there seems to be lots of tires shops selling mostly Maxxis, but i have doubts about these too.

What are your opinions/experiences?

Thanks!

If you ever ride on wet surfaces, (I did yesterday for 5 hours),

I recommend some Michelin Street for you bike.

Good longevity as well.

Your dealer should be able to get them in 90/80, which is a good size for YNE.

Edited by papa al

If you have independent control of your front and back brakes, you are supposed to get at least 60% of your braking from your front tire.

If you use the rear tire it will skid which is damaging and dangerous. If you use the front tire the weight transfer of the bike onto the front tire will give you far more traction.

When I see a rider replacing his rear tire long before his front tire, I simply know he doesn't know how to brake.

Not saying that's your case, but be sure it isn't.

Edited by NeverSure

If you have independent control of your front and back brakes, you are supposed to get at least 60% of your braking from your front tire.

If you use the rear tire it will skid which is damaging and dangerous. If you use the front tire the weight transfer of the bike onto the front tire will give you far more traction.

When I see a rider replacing his rear tire long before his front tire, I simply know he doesn't know how to brake.

A rear tire always wears faster with a rear traction, quite logical.

When i see a motobike with a bald backtire i think the bike is overpowered or the driver only drives full throttle. My big bike also needs 2 backtires a year but that's not strange if i put 125 hp on it all the time because i like to feel them horses working for me.

I agree that motorbikes should break with the frontbrake but that doesn't work for lightweighted bikes like they have in thailand. You need a heavy bike for that, not a moped from 125 cc.

And about tirebrands, i gave up with the original tires from Thailand. Better buy western brands and make sure you get the right profile on them suitable for wet weather. The bigger the tire (and rim of course) the more comfortable ride you get. Tubeless tires also don't get punctures so often. Up to you.

Edited by namdocmai

Braking styles aside, rear tires bear more weight and will wear more quickly.

Regardless of the tread remaining on you scooter's tires, for safety sake, do yourself a favor:

Toss your present sneakers and spring (<$60!) for a pair of Michelins.

Nouvo, F => 80/90; R => 90/80.

You will not regret it.

I do not work for Mich but currently run them on 4 bikes, including YN-SX, and previously YNE.

1100 baht is about right You can get sets for 1800 baht it may have went up in the last couple years but if you get the 500 baht cheapies you will replace twice as many times = more than 1100 baht.

Edited by Beardog

If you have independent control of your front and back brakes,

Yes i do.

I also don't use much the brakes as i tend to anticipate the stopping point and decrease speed accordingly, and almost always use only the rear brake, i do use both when i have to stop all of a sudden as, ie., someone cut me off without looking....

When i see a motobike with a bald backtire i think the bike is overpowered or the driver only drives full throttle

Yes i often find myself riding at full speed, possibly because for a scooter to cover long distances you haven't got much choice, probably i will end up buying something bigger, but with my Nouvo i feel so comfortable, big seat, automatic start, no clutches/gears and it's also very easy to control and twist in heavy traffic, i hope i will not regret an eventual "upgrade".....

I never ride a bike with tubeless tires, what are the main dangers of these compared with the tube's tires?

I wanted to buy IRC because i read that they get "stone-hard", and these roads lately are getting trashed with smashed glass much more often than previous years, it's frustrating.

I don't mind about more fuel consumption and bigger price-tags (as long as it doesn't get ridiculous), i value more safety and comfort, when i see these modified 90-100cc bikes with bicycle's tires at 120km/h or more it makes me laugh biggrin.png

I never ride a bike with tubeless tires, what are the main dangers of these compared with the tube's tires?

I wanted to buy IRC because i read that they get "stone-hard", and these roads lately are getting trashed with smashed glass much more often than previous years, it's frustrating.

I don't mind about more fuel consumption and bigger price-tags (as long as it doesn't get ridiculous), i value more safety and comfort, when i see these modified 90-100cc bikes with bicycle's tires at 120km/h or more it makes me laugh biggrin.png

tubeless tires has a lot of advantages. a google search can reveal the advantages.

but you need a new set of rims to fit tubeless tires or you need to modify your rims.

Your focus needs to be grip and handling therefore safety than durability or stone hard tires. mileage of all those tires will not be so different from each other. better pay more for your safety.

Go for Michelins, if not IRC or Maxxis and last Vee rubber.

I checked my tires today and noticed i have IRC tubelss now, they are fine so far. My bike is also a scooter (honda SH) and i'm happy with it because it still fits between the cars in traffic jam and it goes 120 max.

Tubeless tires don't get punctures so often, i never had a puncture with them also not with my big bikes in Europe.

I have 16 inch rims now and also that improves the comfort a lot.

Before i had a honda Scoopy but those tires i had to pump every week, now i rarely pump them. Also the scoopy had punctures all the time and those small 14 inch wheels started skidding very fast.

Small bikes are perfect for in Bangkok and i like a scooter because it's so easy. Also the dog can sit on the floor between my legs, i don't have a dog (yet) but my friends dog loves to go with me for a ride. She likes to stick her head out to see where we are going, you can only do that in thailand.tongue.png

• Like 1

Absolutley false. Rear tires on these scooters wear much faster than the front just go ask any bike shop it is common knowledge due to the wear from acceleration, braking and extra weight.

A couple of comments on the video:

1. He says at 35mph bike travels around 43 feet in a second.

Actually 35mph = 51.33 feet/ second.

2. Later he says that transferring weight to the front tire increases the contact area (it does) and hence increases friction.

However per freshman physics, friction is dependent upon the perpendicular force and the coefficient of friction, surface area is not a factor:

0c02725f116ef3cad99527413171d4bb.png

where

• 7d5fa5091b7927fa18cb549fe4743bcc.png is the force of friction exerted by each surface on the other. It is parallel to the surface, in a direction opposite to the net applied force.
  • 939974a71dda1b83cce5ab82a2d2cec1.png is the coefficient of friction, which is an empirical property of the contacting materials,
  • b91f0b6f4061e59d0249f5a42902b107.png is the normal force exerted by each surface on the other, directed perpendicular (normal) to the surface.

(See, contact area does not come into the equation)

Few readers will believe this, so I apologize for contradicting your preconceptions with science.

Thanks all for your info, looks like i am going to get this Vee rubber 80/100-16 rear tire @ 1100B for the time being.

So you are going to ignore everyone's advice not to get vee rubber? That price is more expensive than a rear Michelin tyre of better quality.

Edited by macknife
  • Like 2