Thai tourism operators disagree with ban on beach parties

webfact

Surat Thani's tourism operators disagree with ban on beach parties

10-28-2014-9-46-18-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourism operators in Surat Thani have voiced their disagreement with the governor’s decision to ban beach parties on all beaches in the province except the Full Moon party on Koh Pha-ngan’s Rin beach.

The ban is a precautionary measure to protect tourists from harms which may occur during or after beach parties following the Koh Tao murder of two British backpackers in mid-September.

Governor Chatpong Chatapoot has sent a circular to all relevant units instructing them to stop all beach parties except for Full Moon part on Koh Pha-ngan’s Rin beach.

The operators, however, have expressed concern that the ban may discourage tourists from visiting tourist destinations in Surat Thani.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj-Gen Decha Butnampetch, commissioner of Region 8 Provincial Police, disclosed that during January-August period, 19 foreign tourists were assaulted in Krabi and one was raped.

Officials of the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s office in Trang province have urged police to step up suppression on snatchings against tourists and for the municipal and local administration bodies to improve lighting in tourist destinations for the sake of security.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/surat-thanis-tourism-operators-disagree-ban-beach-parties/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-29

Nothing else than a knee jerk reaction. What exactly constitutes a beach party? Is the police supposed to act when they spot 6 backpackers drinking saengsom/soda on the beach, listening to music coming from a portable device?

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

"The operators, however, have expressed concern that the ban may discourage tourists from visiting tourist destinations in Surat Thani."

It would be nice to know who "the operators" are? Are they just a few beach party owners, or are we talking the hotel associations? My guess is the hotel associations have no problem with such a ban, as it means their guests can actually sleep at night.

"The operators, however, have expressed concern that the ban may discourage tourists from visiting tourist destinations in Surat Thani."

It would be nice to know who "the operators" are? Are they just a few beach party owners, or are we talking the hotel associations? My guess is the hotel associations have no problem with such a ban, as it means their guests can actually sleep at night.

This is the problem with rape murders in Thailand - it's not good for tourism. The solution is to stop them and remove the criminal gangs who own the corrupt police force.

While chatting with my mother who's making her first ever trip to Thailand in December I asked her if she's going to visit the world famous 'murder island' Koh Tao.

I hadn't mentioned the long string of previous rapes and murders including the recent murder of the two British tourists to her previously but she knew exactly what I was talking about.

A lot of people will loose money. Kamnan Suthep should say to the tourism operators this is is in the interest of the country.

Once the Police force is reformed with proper laws enforced, let them have their beach parties again.

LOL, ok then, the beach parties can start up again in about 200 years. Hmmmm, ok, maybe that's being a tad optomistic. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Did the murders happen after a beach party? No. They happened after they were in a bar and going to their bungalow, so better close all bars and make bungalows illegal, this will solve the problem.

I suspect it's more of an issue of the active serial killers who continue to operate with impunity in areas which are easy pickings for the kind of predators we're talking about here.

So instead of banning beach parties, why not show real concern for the Koh Tao victims, Hannah and David, by arresting - and punishing - their real murderers - and the people who are trying to cover up these crimes.

The people who try to cover up the crimes and the many similar incidents over the years are the same people who are complaining.

Those who make big money cover up the crimes. Now they complain. It's a little late for that.

Catch the rapists and killers operating on the whole Samui Archipeligo.

If it were up to me I would close down the big full moon party as well and launch an enquiry into the whole rotten state of things on these islands. It's gone way too far for way too long.

Are these beaches entertainment zones ?

What about drugs ? Drug offences are the most important cases in Thailand - more serious than murder. Drug dealers also operate with impunity in these lawless islands.

Reminds me of the old pirate controlled islands in the Caribbean. Anything goes, look after your own - nothing else matters.

• Like 2

They wouldn't seriously consider the opinion of Thai tourism operators would they?

Of course they would. They consider the opinion of anybody who is rich and powerful. All that has to happen is for the father of the Tao murderer to ask them to reconsider, and this policy of banning the beach parties will go away tomorrow.

Understandably, as its not their children getting drugged .raped and murdered. Perhaps these whinging money grabbing touts would be better served by complaining about their own inept and inadequate police force.

Ha! YES and YES!

There's another topic here about what Thais find annoying with Farangs.

One guy said "Because we tell the truth".

What you just said is the truth.

many years ago on Koh Samet (national park) there were a few bungalows built

year after year I went and enjoyed along with 1000's of other visitors the peace, beauty and tranquility of the Island.

the last time I went I called it a night at about 1030PM then about 11pm a beach party complete with idiots doing fire dancers came to life.

this went on until dawn

then these morons slept

I asked the owner of the bungalows how long had this been going on and it was just the last six months - he said that people stayed the night and then moved to the other side of the island.

so this guy that had built up a business was losing business because of these beach parties.

the island had many meetings however the people controlling things controlled things and so the parties continued.

beach parties dont make as much money as guests in your bungalows eating breakfast lunch and dinner and drinking.

beach parties do make money from drug sales etc

• Like 2

Erect large " CLOSED " sign on this beach !

Nah, you've got it wrong. Put a big sign on the beach that says "All welcome". There will be no broken bottles, no ciggie butts, no satay sticks to spear your feet and empty buckets, There won't be any vomit, there wont be anyone shagging like dogs before your eyes, there won't be a dealer every 3 metres trying to sell you some ice or seaweed in a baggie. There won't be any smegma and turds floating in and on the water...there won't be a millions blitzed idiots pissing in the water, there won't be any 10 year old truants on ya baa, picking your pockets, and there won't be a hoodlum or gang banger lurking in every shadow. Sayonara Siam. Thank dog.

• Like 1