2 seriously injured as car is struck by train at Level Crossing in East Pattaya

webfact

2 seriously injured as car is struck by train at Level Crossing in East Pattaya

train-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Tuesday afternoon, two people were seriously injured at a Level Crossing in East Pattaya after their car was struck by a train .

The incident occurred at the Soi Tanman crossing which has no barriers and no warning lights to warn drivers of any approaching trains.

Khun Sarawoot aged 20 was driving with his Mother, Khun Yom aged 50, sitting in the front passenger seat. Their car, a Silver Toyota Vios, drove up towards the crossing and was struck by a train travelling from Bangkok. The car ended up in a ditch at the side of the train tracks and the train failed to stop and continued its journey.

Local residents mentioned how dangerous the crossing was and how similar incidents have occurred on a regular basis over the years.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/152265/2-seriously-injured-as-car-is-struck-by-train-at-level-crossing-in-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-10-29

well you have to approach with extreme caution, but that seems to difficult for most drivers, but makes you laugh that the train didn't even stop, could have been a few bodies scattered about , but they don't give a dam, then again the train might have been late and the driver might get reprimanded or sacked,

• Like 1

I am not familar with that exact crossing but many on the minor roads that cut at an oblique angle also tend to have the track as the high spot. This Vios could easily have come up the slope too far and fast with both the train and car unsighted by either party. After the rains, the grass is also very deep and lush closer to the tracks on these small crossings. The ones that cross at right-angles with two lanes and good visibility are dangerous enough but these narrow, angled, single track ones are scary at the best of times.

All joking aside, I had occasion to cross the railway tracks in East Pattaya 3 times on Tuesday morning, plus a crossing further north near Watthana Nakhon. Every time I asked my mate if there was a train coming. He thought I was joking. I spoke to him today to see if he had read about the accident. Without fail, I first check to see what is behind me when approaching a crossing, then slow down and look both ways. So far so good.....

• Like 1

Train failed to stop and kept on going?

Did conductor think he struck a piece of wood?

A novel way of fleeing the scene

I suppose the equivalent of wanting to run away but travelling too fast to jump out.

The trains are not normally travelling very fast there, but the problem is that the track is in the centre of a dual carriageway. The yellow boxes are ignored and sometimes the whole junctions just clog up as drivers will just push in rather than waiting until their exit route is clear. Of course some end up on the tracks. I have seen barriers coming down onto vehicle roofs. It is also quite easy to stall on the tracks as you are going up-hill or stuck in a rut. As other posters have said, many dangerous crossings.... it would be worse with faster trains and more frequent ones. As it is they are few and far between.

Edited by jacko45k

Would one of the TV math wizards please formulate the odds of getting hit by a train in Pattaya, considering that they only run twice a day. To Rayong at about 11:00 A.M and the return at about 2:00 P.M.

Yes ........."Russian Roulette"

From the damage in that photo it looks more like the car broadsided the train rather than the train hitting the car due to the front impact damage and minimal side damage. If so, the train engineer may not have noticed it.

One post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

1. The problem is the railroad company do not cut down trees and bushes WHERE THE NEED to cut down.

2. Selfish people just hanging up posters blocking free look when crossing the railroad. (<deleted> selfish stupid people)

My wife tell me railroad company take the dead truck driver's insurance to court and want compensation, think if the where taking to court themselves, I mean, a real court.

Is it not funny with all the train accident here with all the rain falling?

Edited by blackadder