PM Prayut: Only 10 percent of 18 million tonnes of rice in stockpiles are good

webfact

I really do not trust this man, for all we know the 10% figure could be completely made up. I seriously doubt 90% of the stock piles have gone bad in just a few months. Looks like a bunch of people are going to make serious money off this, and none of it is going back to the coffers. Checks and balances to see where the money goes from selling these stockpiles? Oops forgot Thailand is a military dictatorship (again).

Really /// What has this got to do with you if you are not a Thai ??

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100,000 / 18,000,000 x 100 = 0.55%

Basically, it's just a bit of spillage.

cheesy.gif

Not if it traced back to certain warehouses, what you are doing is hiding the true facts. These 100.000 were missing from warehouses. there were reports on that. That is not spillage that is theft. These discrepancies were reported in certain warehouses. Then you should divide by the total in those warehouses.. not the total of all rice. (guess you know that too but like the other poster love to distort facts)

Guess you missed the pics of scaffolding rice piles with nothing below it. That is not spillage that is fraud.. and YL told us nothing was missing they checked it all.

But hey.. red glasses see things differently.

Statistics and lies......

Where's the smoking gun?

For 6 months now the coupsters have had complete and absolute control of every single apparatus of state and yet they still haven't been able to put together a single case against Yingluck.... for anything.

Not even a traffic ticket!

There is nothing, nil, zip, nada, zero that these heroes have yet been able to charge the graceful lady with.

It's just spillage my friend.

The graceful lady? So was Marie Antoinette my dear Jacobean friend. "Let them eat cake." Enter Napoleon.

Whatever, they had better start doing something with it, that's one hell of a lot of rice to deal with.

first thing, as long as they keep poking holes in the bags of rice, they are going to have bad rice, that is letting insects,ants, mice , rats, snakes, birds and contaimated air into the rice, every time I see them poke those rods into the bags I shutter. only way to go same Australia, metal silos , they do not need new space, can erect them in container sheds In other words to have healthy rice it has to be sealed from the start, common sense. Same any other food that type. So every day percentage is going to go down,next year well;? on top of a drought.

Edited by johnarth
  • Like 1

the prime minister said that the National Anti-Corruption Commission would investigate the case to ascertain how they had gone missing, where was the mistake and who would be held accountable.

"WOULD investigate" My God, there should have been tons of investigation DONE already and indictments handed out. Is this stall tactic just more of the same Thai policy of avoiding accountability for corruption and criminal activity? Does nothing ever change in this unbelievable society? Where are the reporters who, in any other democratic society, would be doing their own investigating and exposing the corruption? I had hopes that this guy would be different but it looks and smells just like same old- same old Thai BS. Disgusting!

"Where are the reporters...?" They are taking notes and going to seminars at the Washington D.C. Press club and learning how not to report scandals from the compliant, ask no questions, Obama sycophant US press main stream media." 555 LOL

"try to offload the stockpiled rice from the storages but at prices which would not affect the prices of the new rice crops." good luck! Have any of these administrators ever taken Econ 101? Can they still make beer with this stuff?

The situation is far worse than that. I did research on the situation earlier this year and found that there were shipping containers being held in Japanese ports full of Thai rice that had been rejected by the Japanese due to the rice being rotten on arrival.

• Like 1

90% gone bad in just four months??

And before anyone get started on YL, this was under the present government!!coffee1.gif

More like it has taken them 4 months to dig through the stockpiles and see what is good and what is Rotten & Missing.

Good thing he put and end to this when he did.

This is the single biggest tragedy to be perpetrated against Thailand in modern history.

This is the single biggest tragedy to be perpetrated against Thailand in modern history.

Well, personally I would have earmarked the Red Drum massacre period for that "accolade", but still, nothing like a good emotional rant and an overdose of hyperbole........................coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4

The YS government have been incapacitated since last November by the PRDC & NPO. That is 1 year. Undoubtedly a lot of the rotting has occurred over that period.

<deleted>.. they were still selling rice. And the PDRC & NPO didn't store the rice incorrectly. It is simply what happens when you try and fix something that wasn't broken!

sad.png Indeed this sad news when more people are dying form hunger. Most states are committing crime for humanity in the name of economics. Should have been donated to the West African countries where there is Ebola outbreak that requires aid. sad.png

"Donated"? This is Thailand my friend, no money in that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And before anyone get started on YL, this was under the present government!!coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

More like it has taken them 4 months to dig through the stockpiles and see what is good and what is Rotten & Missing.

Well, personally I would have earmarked the Red Drum massacre period for that "accolade", but still, nothing like a good emotional rant and an overdose of hyperbole........................coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Yes a horrible activity and it should not be down played.

However your description of a loss of 700 - 800 million Baht in tax payers funds through corruption and total dereliction of management & accountability, funds which could have built many schools, hospitals, upgraded railroads and al sorts of infrastructure, as "..... a good emotional rant and an overdose of hyperbole ....." is nothing less than insulting to the good Thai people.

Ultimately just another one of your attempts to divert attention away from the discussion point.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Much as I support the guy - no one has been held accountable for anything since the coup …… and the news just keep getting worse. I would like to see heads on poles to restore and order and deter corruption. Wishful thinking I guess.

How long has it been since the coup ?

What do you expect them to do without proper evidence ?

They have been conducting a thorough investigation into just what is in storage for the last 3 months and are now in the process of doing a complete audit of the scheme.

As for action; 2 previous ministers of commerce have been formally charged with corruption (see below) and 15 of their staff have been cited as well as a former permanent secretary of commerce.

Then there is:

Anti-graft agency probing rice deals, links to ministers

The Nation

July 14, 2014 1:00 am

.............................................................................................................................................................................

http://pattayatoday.net/news/thailand-news/yingluck-to-be-probed-ex-ministers-charged-on-rice-scheme/The anti-graft agency will investigate caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s role in the rice pledging scheme after bringing formal charges of corruption against two of her cabinet ministers.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

BANGKOK: -- The Chaiyaphum Provincial Court has sentenced a rice miller to serve 20 years in prison and nine farmers six months after finding them in rice pledging fraud conspiracy involving the missing of 750 tonnes of paddy and rice from government stocks.

What do you expect them to do without proper evidence?

How about not dismiss the elected Prime Minister and overthrow the government for a start.

Much as I support the guy - no one has been held accountable for anything since the coup …… and the news just keep getting worse. I would like to see heads on poles to restore and order and deter corruption. Wishful thinking I guess.

How long has it been since the coup ?

What do you expect them to do without proper evidence ?

They have been conducting a thorough investigation into just what is in storage for the last 3 months and are now in the process of doing a complete audit of the scheme.

As for action; 2 previous ministers of commerce have been formally charged with corruption (see below) and 15 of their staff have been cited as well as a former permanent secretary of commerce.

Then there is:

Anti-graft agency probing rice deals, links to ministers

The Nation

July 14, 2014 1:00 am

.............................................................................................................................................................................http://pattayatoday.net/news/thailand-news/yingluck-to-be-probed-ex-ministers-charged-on-rice-scheme/

The anti-graft agency will investigate caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s role in the rice pledging scheme after bringing formal charges of corruption against two of her cabinet ministers.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

BANGKOK: -- The Chaiyaphum Provincial Court has sentenced a rice miller to serve 20 years in prison and nine farmers six months after finding them in rice pledging fraud conspiracy involving the missing of 750 tonnes of paddy and rice from government stocks.

What do you expect them to do without proper evidence?

How about not dismiss the elected Prime Minister and overthrow the government for a start.

If they hadn't we might REALLY be in the shit now ... admit it the rice pledging scheme was a ridiculous scheme that actually didn't really benefit the poorest farmers like it was supposed to!

The longer they sit on this stockpile, the value decreases, and unless it's ALL taken and dumped, soon it will be 100% rotten.

Who would want to buy rice from a country that let's it all go rotten?

A big balls decision is needed, but rest assured someone somewhere is still going to try and flog some of it just because it's there, and that's going to involve corrupt acts.

The value of the current stock is decreasing due to the spoilage there's no quick fix, either dump it all, and clear out these warehouses, to prevent cross contamination with new good stocks, or don't dump it, and the problem just gets worse !!

• Like 1

“Only 10 percent of the 18 million tonnes of rice in stockpiles since June are of good quality and in good condition, 70 percent of them are of poor quality with the grains turn yellowish and the rest 20 percent have become rotten and inedible, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha on Tuesday.”

The Nation 2014-07-28

“Since the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) initiated the inspection early this month, 18 million tonnes of pledged rice in 1,787 granaries around the country have been checked by troops against records for both quantity and quality.”

“General Prayuth Chanocha, director of the NCPO, has said the regime was committed to inspecting the quality and quantity of rice stored at government granaries nationwide, as well as bringing charges against anyone found involved in fraud or non-transparent activity.”

"Of that, 126 granaries [as of Friday] were found to have irregular rice, and the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records," he said.

Based on the findings of the Junta, “The Commerce Ministry is preparing to resume selling rice from its stocks early next month, gradually in small lots, at the rate of about 500,000 tonnes a month.”

I certainly cannot challenge anything said by Gen. Prayut (that would be against the law), but It seems to be strange math that while only about 7% of the granaries audited had “irregular rice,” they account for 90% of the total stockpile having poor to failed quality of rice. If this quantity of bad rice were true, how could the government possibly plan as of July 2014 to sell off the stocks as a rate of about a half million tons a month?

The longer they sit on this stockpile, the value decreases, and unless it's ALL taken and dumped, soon it will be 100% rotten.

Who would want to buy rice from a country that let's it all go rotten?

A big balls decision is needed, but rest assured someone somewhere is still going to try and flog some of it just because it's there, and that's going to involve corrupt acts.

The value of the current stock is decreasing due to the spoilage there's no quick fix, either dump it all, and clear out these warehouses, to prevent cross contamination with new good stocks, or don't dump it, and the problem just gets worse !!

Of course they should clear it and fast too.. but by selling it fast they hurt rice farmers more plus later YL her defense could argue the loss should be lower because they sold it too fast.

Its a bad situation made by a corrupt previous government even though internationally and nationally they were warned countless times not to do it. Gross negligence comes to mind. Every time someone tried to expose it they were threatened and or removed. Might even be criminal because of this. So they have to tread lightly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And before anyone get started on YL, this was under the present government!!coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Well, personally I would have earmarked the Red Drum massacre period for that "accolade", but still, nothing like a good emotional rant and an overdose of hyperbole........................coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

However your description of a loss of 700 - 800 million Baht in tax payers funds through corruption and total dereliction of management & accountability, funds which could have built many schools, hospitals, upgraded railroads and al sorts of infrastructure, as "..... a good emotional rant and an overdose of hyperbole ....." is nothing less than insulting to the good Thai people.

Ultimately just another one of your attempts to divert attention away from the discussion point.

On the contrary, I'm not sorry that I don't follow your's and nobrainer's mantra that money is more important than lives and I feel compelled to make that point. If you regard that as diverting attention, so be it, emotional rants and hyperbole to my mind are of the same ilk.

Money is money, a subsidy is a subsidy, it's been lost before, it'll be lost again, but if you really want to go down that line you might want to assess how much damage to the country was caused by Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat (PM 1959 - 1963) whose assets on his death were $140 Million US.............in 1963*. I don't think his salary and allowances adequately accounted for that amount........................coffee1.gif

* In 2013, the relative value of $140,000,000 from 1963 ranges from $1,070,000,000 to $3,680,000,000 (http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php)

Edited by fab4

On the contrary, I'm not sorry that I don't follow your's and nobrainer's mantra that money is more important than lives and I feel compelled to make that point. If you regard that as diverting attention, so be it, emotional rants and hyperbole to my mind are of the same ilk.

Money is money, a subsidy is a subsidy, it's been lost before, it'll be lost again, but if you really want to go down that line you might want to assess how much damage to the country was caused by Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat (PM 1959 - 1963) whose assets on his death were $140 Million US.............in 1963*. I don't think his salary and allowances adequately accounted for that amount........................coffee1.gif

* In 2013, the relative value of $140,000,000 from 1963 ranges from $1,070,000,000 to $3,680,000,000 (http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php)

Anything else you can google up in defense of PTP ??? is this a save the Yingluck campaign. ???

• Like 2

To be fair, fab 4 has a point, you cannot put a price on a single human loss, I'd have also said the devastation of the Tsunami was far worse than the rice scam.

It's a huge loss financially but it's one of many scenes and scams that ultimately cost the nation.

I keep reading about how this will effect everyone, most Thais would never see or realise that small increases in vat are happening, it's not like a Junta patrol are going to go around every single adult in Thailand to demand 10,000-20,000 baht from everyone, to make up the deficit is it?

The changes in personal financial circumstances would be so small, that they would never really notice.

Of course it's not going to effect anyone not paying taxes or not working either apart from a small increase in VAT, subsidies are not designed to make money, this one did for some people and that's down to the authorities to deal with, the loss can be reclaimed over 24 months by small increases in local taxation as to Not haven effect detriment to the cost of daily living.

Anything else you can google up in defense of PTP ??? is this a save the Yingluck campaign. ???

The little darlinggiggle.gif doesn't need any saving!!

The sad thing about this whole circus is, that the Thai voters probably would vote her in again, despite her obvious failures!!

Tells us something about the Thai electorate and the lack of credibility of her opposition!!

To be fair, fab 4 has a point, you cannot put a price on a single human loss, I'd have also said the devastation of the Tsunami was far worse than the rice scam.

It's a huge loss financially but it's one of many scenes and scams that ultimately cost the nation.

I keep reading about how this will effect everyone, most Thais would never see or realise that small increases in vat are happening, it's not like a Junta patrol are going to go around every single adult in Thailand to demand 10,000-20,000 baht from everyone, to make up the deficit is it?

The changes in personal financial circumstances would be so small, that they would never really notice.

Of course it's not going to effect anyone not paying taxes or not working either apart from a small increase in VAT, subsidies are not designed to make money, this one did for some people and that's down to the authorities to deal with, the loss can be reclaimed over 24 months by small increases in local taxation as to Not haven effect detriment to the cost of daily living.

Are we actually saying it is nothing to be bothered about ?? when I said it is a third of the budget of the transport infrastructure costs. I say It is a scandal that has to be opened up, cans of worms-the lot.

Sorry mate a trillion loss can easily be swallowed up, and no one will feel any worse for it ???

The little darlinggiggle.gif doesn't need any saving!!

The sad thing about this whole circus is, that the Thai voters probably would vote her in again, despite her obvious failures!!

Tells us something about the Thai electorate and the lack of credibility of her opposition!!

Wow is this something original we have never heard before. ???? I agreethat SOME Thai voters would vote for her if she was stupid enough to be put into the position again......................please note -Thais did not elect her-her brother put her in the role........get real--don't show yourself up with your ..."she would win again" BS.

Problem here was that there was no budget for it, they said no budget needed its going to make money. So this was not a subsidy it was an extra (above on the deficit in the budget) cost. Had they budgeted for it it would have been a subsidy. They kept saying it would cost nothing and take anyone to court who said otherwise. All proof was ignored. That is the criminal part of it.

And the money has to come from somewhere maybe less money to schooling and such so yes the nation feels it. They are already talking about VAT hikes and such.