Thai wife passing away

Just a question out of curiosity,not planning on it happening.

I'm married with a 2 year old son here. I came back and fore for work but spend a fair bit of time in Thailand.

If my wife were to pass away suddenly, where would that leave me regarding staying here?

I would no longer be married and am too young for a retirement visa.

Would I have to rely on visa runs all the time or is there any other method?

I suspect that you would probably be able to continue staying here under extensions of stay granted to you by Immigration as your son's guardian. But I think that you would first need to register formally that you were, indeed, his father. Those who are more in the know on the relevant procedures involved than I am will doubtless be along to advise.

You would be able to get an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai (not guardian there is no such visa or extension).

There is if the child is foreign and on a visa.

So if OP can get his child a foreign passport and then an ED visa based on schooling, he would also get a visa plus extension because the child needs a guardian.

Being a parent is of course easier.

Edited by manarak

You would be able to get an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai (not guardian there is no such visa or extension).

There is if the child is foreign and on a visa.

So if OP can get his child a foreign passport and then an ED visa based on schooling, he would also get a visa plus extension because the child needs a guardian.

Being a parent is of course easier.

If you have a child attending school you get an extension based upon being their parent not guardian.

I don't see guardian mentioned in this from clause 2.11 of the immigration order.

"(5) In the case of parents, funds must be deposited in a bank in Thailand, under the father's or the mother's name, of no less than Baht 500,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 30 days prior to the filing date"

​The definition of a guardian is.

"guardian

1. 'guardian'

A young person's guardian is someone who is legally appointed to look after their affairs, usually because their parents are dead."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/guardian

If the worst did come to the worst for the OP (and let's hope it doesn't, of course), presumably his existing marriage extension would lapse immediately. What grace period would he then have for seeking a replacement extension as his son's parent?

If the worst did come to the worst for the OP (and let's hope it doesn't, of course), presumably his existing marriage extension would lapse immediately. What grace period would he then have for seeking a replacement extension as his son's parent?

The extension would remain valid until it expires.

The extension would remain valid until it expires.

For me the worst did come to the worst. I am still here on my latest extension based on marriage. When my next extension is due at the very begining of August 2015, I will need to change the basis for the extension. There are a couple of other threads running on this very subject. wink.png

• Like 1

Also, have your child get 'citizen by descent', and a foreign passport. That will make travel with your son much easier in the future.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'citizen by descent'

Thanks

Edited by utkb

can a divorced person stay in thailand, based of being a parent of a thai child, even the thai mother got full custody and the divorced father is living elsewhere ?

Yes. Or when the child is living alone, or of major age. But Immigration may request the child to be present at application.

Edited by paz

Also, have your child get 'citizen by descent', and a foreign passport. That will make travel with your son much easier in the future.

Thanks

"Citzenship by descent" is a term used mostly in the UK and many other countries of the British Commonwealth. The OP did not mention his nationality. In the USA, it is called "citizenship through birth", I believe.

"(5) In the case of parents, funds must be deposited in a bank in Thailand, under the father's or the mother's name, of no less than Baht 500,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 30 days prior to the filing date"

If the Thai parent is deceased, the proof of the fund will be increased to Baht 500,000 based on a parent of Thai child from Baht 400,000 based on marriage. Is that correct? Does this also apply for Non 'O' imm visa as well? I am sure any single parent (expat) will need this info.

If the Thai parent is deceased, the proof of the fund will be increased to Baht 500,000 based on a parent of Thai child from Baht 400,000 based on marriage. Is that correct? Does this also apply for Non 'O' imm visa as well? I am sure any single parent (expat) will need this info.

You sniped the important part of my post when you quoted it.

"If you have a child attending school you get an extension based upon being their parent not guardian.

I don't see guardian mentioned in this from clause 2.11 of the immigration order."

It had nothing to do with being the parent of a Thai child. It is always 400k baht.

Thanks

"Citzenship by descent" is a term used mostly in the UK and many other countries of the British Commonwealth. The OP did not mention his nationality. In the USA, it is called "citizenship through birth", I believe.

Thanks. I probably just read this too pedantically and did not see how a "child (can) get 'citizen by descent" like it was some form they could go to a government office and fill out.. Rather it is an entitlement established by their birth lineage coming from countries practicing either jus soli or jus sanguinis. The US practices both, but for my daughter and (soon to be) son, the US required my wife and I to make a sworn statement, and I had to show 5 years of residency in the US in order to obtain a report of birth abroad (which if you have never seen this US certificate, the counterfeiting technology that goes into printing this document is very elaborate).

Edited by utkb

I cannot speak for other countries, but if you are an American get your child USA Citizenship immediately. If you die it becomes almost impossible. Give your child a choice. I took mine to the US Embassy as soon as he was able to travel. It doesn't matter if you want to live permanently in Thailand, things change. I know this because things changed for me. My son is a Thai and US Citizen. He currently holds a US Passport but can get his Thai passport if I want.

My son now has choices. He can travel to almost any country, something that he could not do with a Thai Passport.

Do not wait.

• Like 1