Experience with Pathlab

PaulKemp

I just got back from a trip to Pathlab to get some blood tests done for a condition I have, and I need some counselling from the experience;

It was my first time visiting this place, and the "nurse" / salesperson kept trying to sell me other tests I did not need. There were at least five or six attempts to get me to buy some package, or other tests that are not related to my condition. Annoying, but not the point that brings me here to post.

After taking my blood pressure, the nurse swabbed with alcohol and grabbed a needle. Now, I am no expert- but do these needles always come in a disposable paper wrapper? The needles she used to poke me were not in a disposable packaging, but just had a hard plastic cover.

I didn't see a biohazard disposable box- just an empty isopropyl alcohol bottle with some used needles inside. Im guessing that is where they disposed their needles. Either way- feeling stupid for going through with the tests after not being 100% sure of the sterility of the needles.

After this, she couldn't get enough blood to fill the three vials she needed to take, so she opened the first vial (which was full), and poured some into the next vial. I am guessing that the tests will be worthless now that the blood has been exposed to the air?

Exposure of the blood to air will have no effect. Whether or not one can safely pour blood from one vial to another depends on the vial type as some have preservatives and some do not. Also depends on whether the blood had begun to clot.

Without a picture of the needle you refer to I can't say much about that as there are many different kinds. Some would come in a paper wrapper and some would not.

I also can not comment on how sterile the needle was but I can tell you most health care places nowadays use disposable needle syringe and even the blood tubes! So for the safety I personally don't think you are at any risk.

Do not really understand the part pouring blood from one to another vial though, if it was standard blood tube, in which normally contain clotting activator, EDTA, NaF, Citrate, heparin depends on the test needed as Sheeyl mentioned, then it would definitely interfere with the test results. Unless they use substandard recycle or just plain tube/simple glass vial then it's ok to pour from plain tube to the others, as long as it does not clot then.

I NEVER was asked to fast before a blood test in Thailand, common practice in the west, i guess for blood sugar levels or something, maybe other tests too!

Is Thailand behind?

Fasting is only necessary before certain tests such as blood glucose, and lipid profiles (cholesterol, triglycerides).

No need for most tests.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments!

Ive since been back to another lab, BRIA, which was half the price, no hassles, and only took 5 minutes.

Not sure about the equipment at the other lab, but it appeared to be using just regular test tubes with nothing (that I could see) inside.

I NEVER was asked to fast before a blood test in Thailand, common practice in the west, i guess for blood sugar levels or something, maybe other tests too!

Is Thailand behind?

I was told immediately to fast before a diabetes test,I suggest you use a proper blood sample doctor

• Like 1