A former police officer of Khon Kaen given life sentence for murder

Lite Beer

A former police officer of Khon Kaen given life sentence for murder

29-10-2557-18-23-30-wpcf_728x408.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- The former deputy superintendent of Nong Rua district police was today (Wednesday) sentenced to life imprisonment by Khon Kaen provincial court after he was found guilty of involvement in the murder of a local official.

Another accomplice was sentenced to 37 years by the same court.

Both Pol Lt-Col Somchit Kaewprom and Praphan Srivilai and three other men were charged with the murder of Mr Suchart Kotethoom, former assistant chief of Khon Kaen provincial administration organization. The incident took place on May 3 last year in front of the victim’s house in Khon Kaen township.

The court however acquitted the other three accomplices citing the lack of sufficient evidences to prove their involvement in the murder. However, the trio were ordered remanded by the court pending a decision by the public prosecutor whether to appeal the verdict or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-police-officer-khon-kaen-given-life-sentence-murder/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-29

The sentence is compatible with the crime , one wonders why this came about , one can speculate , however as mentioned, give us the full spiel on the reason why the murder took place and whether any investigations were carried out into the operations of both the RTP and the murdered local officials department , (What department was it) bet there hasn't been anything done. coffee1.gif

I always find it interesting that here in Thailand the prosecutor can appeal an innocent verdict and the three who were found innocent might well be able to be tried again.

Very different than the west.

The state of Florida took me to court once. The district court ruled to drop the case & the district attorney appealed it to the next higher level.... Where they lost again.

And, it wasn't a murder charge either. Cost me an arm & a leg for my lawyer, but it was worth it.

In the US if you are acquitted at a jury trial, the state cannot appeal.

My case never went to trial though.

Edited by jaywalker

kkerry, on 30 Oct 2014 - 01:43, said:

Strange, the news report doesn't mention any bail amount... aren't police generally granted bail for low level crimes in Thailand such as murder... coffee1.gif

I believe about 2 years back, 2 police, from one of the northern provinces, were sentenced for murder.. then they were granted bail, never to be heard of again, guess we give it a few days before this guy is granted bail.

• Like 1

My G/F lives in Nong Rua and I visit regularly. I cannot get over the number of Policemen that are employed there and the number of houses that they have. It appears to be more than the norm. I have also met Khon Kaen policemen stationed there on duty for a day, lot of cops for a tiny town.

Both Pol Lt-Col Somchit Kaewprom and Praphan Srivilai and three other men were charged with the murder of Mr Suchart Kotethoom, former assistant chief of Khon Kaen provincial administration organization.

What would the sentence have been if he just killed a conman man ?????

This is a rhetorical question,....because....I know..!!! nothing, nada, ....

I thought it was allowed for Thai policemen to moonlight as hit men, but only if tea money is running low.

I was at a high end party, and had a person from the US consulate in

Chiang Mai inform me that in their opinion, nearly all contract hits

were performed by Thai policemen..... so clearly they do not need

to wait for tea money to run low.