My vietnam experience .. Excellent

WilliamCave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked it. I discovered Vietnam through work in 2005 and I worked outside of Hanoi in 2009 when things were quieter and still pretty basic. The whole country is moving forward in the hospitality stakes and even though some regulars suggest that Saigon is now becoming more crass and fast moving, the rest of the country and the north have come up to a nice level. It is reminiscent of Thailand in the late 70's when the smiles were more genuine and extra services and courtesies were rendered unasked.

There's a whole slew of beautiful beaches only a few hours away from the current high-rent tourist attractions in Nah Trang and Hoi An. Take your time... take the train even. Make the most of if while it is still captivating.

• Like 2

Thanks for your report.

I went to Vietnam for the first time earlier this year, HCMC & Vang Tau, I really liked both, didn`t encounter any problems, when time allows will head back for another visit, HCMC and somewhere else yet to be decided.

The people seemed fine to me, nice food,service etc.

My Thai GF was also treated well and felt at ease.

smile.png

Nice to hear that about Hanoi. I've been a few times and came away with mixed feelings about the place, experienced a fair share of attempted scams, but I haven't been there since 2008. Good to hear things are going in the right direction.

Always have preferred HCMC, was there a year ago and it was better than ever.

I've experienced scams in every country i've been to, but Vietnam was the worst. It's been called the national sport there.

• Like 1

Nice to hear that about Hanoi. I've been a few times and came away with mixed feelings about the place, experienced a fair share of attempted scams, but I haven't been there since 2008. Good to hear things are going in the right direction.

Always have preferred HCMC, was there a year ago and it was better than ever.

I've experienced scams in every country i've been to, but Vietnam was the worst. It's been called the national sport there.

oldthaihand99, you must be living under a cloud! Or people immediately take you for a sucker. Not counting the Vietnam war years I have been to Vietnam 4 times in the past 10 years and have never encountered any type of scam there although I'm sure they exist. I have traveled and worked in many countries the past 50 years and I only can recall a couple of scam attempts and not hardly every country I've been to. Maybe you should reevaluate the type of people you hang around with?

Only place in SEA I haven't visited. And won't until they close down their dog meat shops/restaurants.

??

Are you 100% sure what your eating anywhere ?

Places that still in 2014 eat dog meat... China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Taiwan, Philippines, Korea, Polynesia, Mexico, Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada, Greenland etc

Guess you have never visited any of these places ??

Like saying you have not or will not visit France because they use a lot of Horse meat, or Frogs legs...

Like saying you have not or will not visit UK because many restaurants and take-a-ways have been found using dog meat...

Edit: Yes I have been to Vietnam a few times and like Hanoi... did I eat dog meat.. no idea

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

You left out one country....Thailand....

Yep for sure there are others..

Just makes me smile, the big fuss a few months back in the UK on TV... many items sold as Pure Beef was in fact 100% Horse meat... somehow to say your having a Beef horse burger does not sound right or a Beef Horse lasagna also sounds wrong.

wonder how many people here are 100% sure what meat they are eating, or even buying in a shop to cook at home..

• Like 1

Places that still in 2014 eat dog meat... China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Taiwan, Philippines, Korea, Polynesia, Mexico, Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada, Greenland.

Well you can add thailand. Is it worst than eating insects?

Guess you have never visited any of these places ??

Like saying you have not or will not visit France because they use a lot of Horse meat, or Frogs legs...

Sorry but so cliche. I never saw any places selling horse meat in France. And BTW that used to happen after WW II not 2014...

Like saying you have not or will not visit UK because many restaurants and take-a-ways have been found using dog meat...

Edit: Yes I have been to Vietnam a few times and like Hanoi... did I eat dog meat.. no idea

Edited by supashot

Only place in SEA I haven't visited. And won't until they close down their dog meat shops/restaurants.

In some countries people eat cow, some even pigs. Chicken and eggs are eaten basically everywhere. Horse meat is included in salamis and I love it. Reindeer meat is quite expensive, but delicious.

For Viernam. French bread and beer! Near by Nah Trang was a nice place to have a mud bath. Great fun to ride a scooter through the traffic flow which seems to never end.

Geezus....I go to HCMC every month and where are the scams that would take a thinking person in.

One famous one is the chicks on a motor bike.....don't go near em. Second is the chick on bike , often young Viet male with her. She will approach you for sex grab your lower region. While you are saying no and getting out of her grips she will pick pocket you. .....Just don't be stupid.

Scams are easy to avoid. Two more....at airport insist on price for taxi and be firm.....walk away. Price is 200k dong to district 1. About $10. Accept 250k if you don't want to be stuffed about. Its a walk in the park. Always ask bike taxi how much when you jump on back. During the day the taxis are perfect....metered just like bkk.

Hanoi exactly same. What you will find is people will rob you. Particularly women walking along with cell or camera in hand. Just be carefull

Edited by jacksam

After Hanoi I visited Ha Tinh in June, which is a few hundred kilometres South of Hanoi. I found people there really friendly and welcoming. One man stopped to give me a lift on his motorbike when it was raining and , when I offered him money, refused it. I asked some guys if I could watch a world cup match in their living room and they invited me in and gave me a beer. Rural Vietnam is worth exploring.

• Like 1

Vietnam has changed a lot. In the last few years they have tried hard to understand tourism necessities , and the youth are all keen to study and go to university, they want a trade, they want to get on in life. The food is wonderful, always has been. Prices are the same as anywhere else, there's something for everyone. Scams exist all over Asia and indeed the world. Yes, watch out for taxi prices, same as you would do in Thailand , or the Cote d Azur. Don't walk around evenings with gold all over you, handbags with passports and money in. Yes, I know one girl who did, and she lost her passport credit cards and money. And she wasn't in Vietnam. Be careful all over the world. Be Aware. All that said, I often go to Vietnam while in Thailand, and always have a good time.

For whom travelling to Vietnam, especially Ho Chi Minh City, please remember not to wear your handbag over your shoulder when you are walking on the sidewalk or on a motorbike. Because by doing so, there's a high risk your bag could get robbed by robbers. Hold your handbags tight or hide them where strangers cannot reach it when you are on the go.

In Hanoi, if you wander around the Old quarter and buy stuffs there, remember to bargain haft of the proposed price first, then going up.

If you walk in the Night Market (Old Quarter, open every weekend nights), be highly careful with your belongings. There're many pick-pockers there.

If I remember any other scam, I will let you know. ^^ (I am a Vietnamese.)

• Like 1

I reckon Hanoi is one of the best cities in Asia. We stayed in the Old Quarter last month and loved everything there, shopping, eating, bars, coffee, wandering around the small lanes and streets and it is clean clean. The people were super friendly too and no street people or beggars - ever been to Phnom Penh. If you hang around the lake long enough expected to be bailed up by students wanting to communicate in English - good fun.

Edited by Franko666

I had a local take me to a doggy diner In Saigon and as soon as I walked in, it smelled like wet dog. I wanted to barf. He ordered 3 dishes cooked differently and when they gave it to us it stunk to holy hell and I can eat anything. I've had slop from Kenya, God knows what in Mexico and unrecognizable chow in Senegal. All went down the gullet with no problem, but dog... couldn't do it. Can't hang eating Fido.

There's no way I can see myself eating dog without knowing it unless it's in infinitesimal bits with other meat. That shit nasty.

• Like 1