Uk Settlement Visa

A quick question - it seems to have become accepted as the norm that the certified copy of the passport has to be from a solicitor.

Where exactly does it state who can certify the passport?

I'm sure I read somewhere that as with other documents, such as mortgage applications, driving licence, a JP, GP, senior public servant etc could all fulfil this role - am I right?

Thanks

Anyone with a professional reputation to stake can do it, although not obliged to do so. A solicitor will charge for the service.

However, failure to accompany an application with a certified copy of your passport will not automatically lead to refusal. Providing that the ECO is otherwise content, they are unlikely to deny the visa solely because the sponsor's passport copy is uncertified.

Scouse.

Anyone with a professional reputation to stake can do it, although not obliged to do so. A solicitor will charge for the service.

However, failure to accompany an application with a certified copy of your passport will not automatically lead to refusal. Providing that the ECO is otherwise content, they are unlikely to deny the visa solely because the sponsor's passport copy is uncertified.

Scouse.

Thanks once again for a quick response. Saved myself a solicitors fee (mean old me)!

Most professional people will charge for certifying photocopies. It's worth 'shopping around.'

A couple of weeks ago I needed a certified copy of my driving licence. At he first solicitors office I called on all the solicitors were out, and the receptionist told me it would cost £10. Two doors down the road they charged me £2!

Remember to have the blank pages copied as well.

Most professional people will charge for certifying photocopies. It's worth 'shopping around.'

A couple of weeks ago I needed a certified copy of my driving licence. At he first solicitors office I called on all the solicitors were out, and the receptionist told me it would cost £10. Two doors down the road they charged me £2!

Remember to have the blank pages copied as well.

Thanks all,

I got it "certified" by my boss! A far more senior public servant than me and with a qualification!!! :o

Not knowing the wording required, it wasn't a million miles away from the link to Lloyds TSB provided by Vinny - Lloyds TSB!!!! Very strange - I'll let you know how I get on.

I have also backed it up with a letter from our HR dept. confirming who is who, plus my employment details, salary etc with a "feel free to contact me to confirm these details" included and how to do so - all genuine.

I'm not sure what more I can do?. Can't understand the trust placed in paying a solicitor whose clerks will do it all and they would probably sign it without even looking at it. I have little confidence in the profession!

Edited by Ollie