transport a bike with NOK air

h90

I consider moving the bike to the South and back to Bangkok, every time I go there (1-2 times per month).

But it sounds like the perfect receipt for disaster, or?

Anyone experience, how to pack it proper, so the pedals don't kill the wheels?

Is the airport and NOK air careful or will the throw a 30 kg hardcover suitcase on top of it?

Or is there any save bike transport option for little money?

About 4 yrs back, I took my bikes on Nokair 6 times. I got the bicycle boxes from the local bicycle shop (normally free, 50b a couple of times). No problem. I've also sent it via post and taken it on trains as well as shoved it unboxed into the baggage compartment of buses. Some minor scratches because I didn't bother wrapping up the frame. Good fun traveling with the bike as it forced me to get out and get some exercise. Good luck.

About 4 yrs back, I took my bikes on Nokair 6 times. I got the bicycle boxes from the local bicycle shop (normally free, 50b a couple of times). No problem. I've also sent it via post and taken it on trains as well as shoved it unboxed into the baggage compartment of buses. Some minor scratches because I didn't bother wrapping up the frame. Good fun traveling with the bike as it forced me to get out and get some exercise. Good luck.

I didn't know there are bicycle boxes....I will look into it! Good information thumbsup.gif

Which part of the south? can take it on the train. One of the other airlines have just started taking bikes. if not use the post office

Problem is we get a weekend house there, and jump down for 2-4 days and back to Bangkok, Train would take too much time. Nakhon Si Thammerat is it.

A few weeks ago one of the airlines made a promo about taking bikes but i can't remember which one, sorry, maybe someone else can

Ok, it's Bangkok Airways and it's called 'Bike on Board'. There is nothing on the website, you need to call them, but I gather they will load it for free.... but don't take that as 100%. You will still need to pack it as per any flight... ask the bike shop where you bought it for the cardboard box it was shipped in or get another similar. Air Asia will take bikes too

You will need to remove the pedals anf deflate the tires before packing for the airline. You will also have to remove the front wheel to keep the box dimensions stated by the airline. Boxes are normally available at most zny decent bike shop. I've shipped my bike by Thai Air Freight and Air Asia. No damage to the bike.

Just got this email from Nok Air:

Dear Mr.......

Thank you for choosing Nok Air!

As your inquiry, we would like to informed that for Nok Economy class, passenger may transport free of charge checked baggage weight of 15 kilograms per passenger per flight, and hand baggage must not exceed totally 7 kilograms per passenger per flight and Nok Flexible class, passenger may transport free of charge checked baggage weight of 20 kilograms per passenger per flight, and hand baggage must not exceed totally 7 kilograms per passenger per flight. However, please be kindly inform that you can bring your bicycle and can loaded as checked baggage with no charged fee, the weight of bicycle will be included of 15 kg loaded as check baggage for Nok Economy class or 20 kg loaded as check baggage for Nok Flexible class. Moreover, the bicycle must be fold and pack complete in box or bag for bicycle.

Example package for bicycle.

Please note that, if passenger has the excess weight, there will be any charge 200 THB/1 kilogram. for excess which passenger must pay at check-in counter when passengers check-in.

Best regards,

The pictures show cardboxes and some bicycle box. Unfortunately the pictures are "stamp" sized. So no simple walk in with the bike....

Edited by h90

I've traveled with an unboxed bike on many of the airlines that fly out of CNX, including Thai Air, Bangkok Airways, Lao Aviation, Air Asia, and Nok Air. I just ride to the airport, deflate the tires, and usually take the pedals off. More and more, the airlines are demanding that it be boxed, but there's not much they can do once I'm already at the check-in counter.

I haven't looked at Nok Air's website in about a year but the last time I flew, it said it's 200 baht for an unboxed bike, whether or not you're within the weight allowance. Three out of the four times I flew with Nok, they couldn't be bothered to collect the 200 baht.

The last time I flew with Lao, they charged me 800 baht because I didn't box my bike. At that price, next time I'll box it. Air Asia charges about the same amount whether boxed or not so I just ride up to the airport. Occasionally they've made me go and get my bike wrapped in plastic. A waste of 100 baht.

H90, your problem is that you have a new bike. I use an aluminum Giant as my travel bike. It's about 6 years old and I no longer care about scratches. I've never had any damage to any of my bikes flying unboxed. I wish I could do that out of the US or europe.

I've been using an Evoc bag for a few years. Not a cheap, or lightest option, but no damage to carbon frames, derailleurs etc.

There's plenty of advice on the internet on how to pack.

I personally drop some of the air in my shocks as well, although that's probably overkill! It doesn't hurt to contact the airline first, as freight space is limited on smaller types like ATR's etc.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I went with the bike and on check in I asked if they would also take a not packed bike.

Answer: No, if I come with a not packed bike they have to charge me 200 Baht service fee. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

So actually this means yes.

I than sent and Email to Nok Air asking if I got it right and I can come with a not packed bike, pay 200 Baht and they take care of it:

Answer:

"As your inquiry, we would like to informed that for Nok Economy class, passenger may transport free of charge checked baggage weight of 15 kilograms per passenger per flight, and hand baggage must not exceed totally 7 kilograms per passenger per flight and for Nok Flexible class, passenger may transport free of charge checked baggage weight of 20 kilograms per passenger per flight, and hand baggage must not exceed totally 7 kilograms per passenger per flight. However, please be kindly inform that you can bring your bicycle and can loaded as checked baggage with no charged fee, the weight of bicycle will be included of 15 kilograms loaded as check baggage for Nok Economy class. Moreover, the bicycle must can be folded and packed completely in box or bag for bicycle. Otherwise, passenger will be charge 200 THB."

The handled the box pretty rough and I guess it was luck that there was no damage, so if I give them the bike, pay 200 Baht and they take care of it, it seems to be the better option.

just checked in the bike in Nakhon Si Thammerat.

First girl on the counter sent me to the other counter (which seemed more senior), she first wanted to call someone but decided against it.

Had the problem that she could not weight it. Asked for technician who lifted it up and said he estimate 10 and a half kg. I pretended to don't understand that and told her that it has 10.5 kg. So she was happy.

Didn't pay 200 fee.

They weren't unfriendly, but not friendly as well. But today all airplanes were overly full and the XRay machine broke down, than at that troublesome day I come with the bike in Hippie like clothes laugh.png

But not unfriendly......Lets see how it will be at Don Muang, if I receive it in one piece or as jigsaw puzzle....

I'm glad it worked out perfectly in the end. Hopefully it will always be that way for all of us.

I'll be flying on Golden Myanmar Airlines with my bike for the first time later this month.

Please share your experiences....