Initial DNA test clears Koh Tao village headman's son of murder

webfact

All this test proved is that he more than likely did not rape this woman. And that presumes this test was done correctly, and that the results are completely honest and transparent. Now, what are the chances of that?

Mike, do you really think this test was not performed correctly or that the results will be tampered with?

Or are you just offering a hypothetical?

Great showmanship on the DNA testing of the village headman's son. Especially since the DNA "will not affect the investigation" and is not in police possession. It DNA test is not part of the police "investigation". This DNA test was purchased by the "headman" for his son, same as if you were to purchase a DNA paternity test at the hospital. As stated by the RTP, the results will not be introduced as evidence, although police/legal reps may make statements about them. Neither the procedures used to test, the chain of custody, the actual results or anything else about this test will be released, other than the photos of the boy with a cotton swab in his mouth surrounded by senior police and Nom's daddy. The boys sample will no doubt compared to a "crime scene" sample provided to the hospital by the boy's father, evidence which was taken from the crime scene after having been stored for two days by the headman's brother, who was kind enough to hold the evidence in his uncontaminated "immigrant worker evidence locker" for two days until the forensics investigator was able to reach the crime scene.

Rhetorical question: Why would the chief of police attend such a farce?

The hospital will not release the results and they will never be seen by anyone other than the headman.

As has been noted often already, the investigation has been engineered to ensure that no one can be convicted. The crime scene was left open to "contamination" for two days while waiting for a forensics investigator to arrive. Prime suspects were photographed trampling the crime scene and handling evidence numerous times prior to the forensic investigator's arrival. It has become a very sick episode that will reflect negatively on Thailand for a long, long time.

The PM / ex-general is letting slip away a prime opportunity to add huge credibility to his resume.

• Like 1

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The PM / ex-general is letting slip away a prime opportunity to add huge credibility to his resume".

I think of all the speculative comment that has been aired over the past month or so the above statement has to be the most relevant and to the point I have read.

PROPER DNA TESTS TAKE 30 T0 60 DAYS WHAT A FARCE

I think you'd better verify your sources... blink.png

They took 30 to 60 days in the 1990s, but not anymore.

Just to try to correct completely false information like this post, here are the actual facts, which I already posted earlier in this thread.

Sorry for the repeat but there is already too much misinformation everywhere.

Taken from the text book: Introduction to Forensic DNA Evidence for Criminal Justice Professionals, J.M. Taupin, (2013) CRC Press. Chapter 3, p 59.

"Table 3.2 estimates the time required for each step of a DNA analysis. These times are based on samples designated urgent. [...]Urgent cases, however, can be processed relatively quickly if an impact-based priority system is followed.

Table 3.2 Analytical Times for DNA Stepsa

Step Time

Extraction 90 minutes for blood; overnight for semen and hairs

Quantification 3 hours

Amplification 3 hours

Separation and detection 2 hours

Analysis of fragments 2 hours for 2 scientists

Interpretation Variable, minimum of 1 hour

Approximate as of 2012"

That's more accurate, even if I'd say a credible time-frame on Thailand territory would be at least 48 hours... By the way sure not 30-60 days!

This DNA test might as well have been a pregnancy test. This DNA test will have just as much impact on the trial as a pregnancy test would. The test is not part of the investigation and will not be introduced as evidence. It is simply a procedure purchased by the father at several hospitals for public "Barnum & Bailey Circus " style showmanship. As " Barnum & Bailey" were quoted to have said, "there's a sucker born every minute" and this investigation is based on RTP belief that this maxim applies today. The hospitals will return the results to the father and he will have "post your official's name here" announce the results. The procedures used to conduct the analysis will never be revealed and the fact that the DNA was compared against a sample provided by the boy's father will not be mentioned. What a travesty.

No-one will believe that this is not a cover up unless the British police take a DNA sample from this young man to prove his innocence. Sadly, the RTP have proved themselves hopelessly incapable so far in this case. How can anyone prove that the DNA obtained at the police hospital is the same DNA that is submitted to Sirirat hospital or the university?

Unless the British have managed to obtain a DNA sample from Heather what is there to compare his sample against?

I look forward to the day the headman attempts to bring a lawsuit on a farrang for libel. The outcry would be tremendous and the international community support would be united in its outcry.

However he knows this and so will not, but he may try on some of the Thai nationals and if this happens then the same sort of support for them should be given!

He needs to know he will never be looked on the same nor will his family, they are now labeled and the Koh Tao bubble has burst forever.

Without doubt there are already reporters and potential script writers here preparing the first of many international documentaries on this disgraceful episode that left 2 innocent people dead.

No reason for him not to bring cases against foreign nationals in Thailand.

Particularly those who violated the law after being made aware of it. International outcry? Foreigners have been found guilty of LM laws in closed court with no international outcry.

I believe people of this site make an educated choice about what they post, reinforced by edits and reminders from moderators. Really we don't need or want gratuitous advice from you EVERY DAY.

No advice was offered. Make whatever choices you will.

What is an 'initial DNA test'? Also how come this seems to have been doe in record time, just a few hours it seems.

an initial DNA`= DO NOT ASK, Test using high profile Thai sniffer dogs......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... he growled at the Burmese.... that must be it!

SERIOUSLY??????

THEY ONLY JUST DNA tested him????

In a case that has caused possibly Billions of baht to Thailand, loss of tourism and business and loss of face They only just DNA'd one of the main suspects!??

UNBELIEVABLE BS

I look forward to the day the headman attempts to bring a lawsuit on a farrang for libel. The outcry would be tremendous and the international community support would be united in its outcry.

However he knows this and so will not, but he may try on some of the Thai nationals and if this happens then the same sort of support for them should be given!

He needs to know he will never be looked on the same nor will his family, they are now labeled and the Koh Tao bubble has burst forever.

Without doubt there are already reporters and potential script writers here preparing the first of many international documentaries on this disgraceful episode that left 2 innocent people dead.

Particularly those who violated the law after being made aware of it. International outcry? Foreigners have been found guilty of LM laws in closed court with no international outcry.

I believe people of this site make an educated choice about what they post, reinforced by edits and reminders from moderators. Really we don't need or want gratuitous advice from you EVERY DAY.

I don't think that most many of the posters here would fit your concept of an educated poster; however, I'll disagree in your opinion of JD. I look forward to his posts as I do your yours. I don't always agree with either of you, but I like to hear what you both have to say.

• Like 1

SERIOUSLY??????

THEY ONLY JUST DNA tested him????

In a case that has caused possibly Billions of baht to Thailand, loss of tourism and business and loss of face They only just DNA'd one of the main suspects!??

UNBELIEVABLE BS

He hasn't been a suspect for over a month.

I don't like anything about the police investigation into this crime. It seems to have been slipshod and mishandled from the beginning. I think that the two accused will walk and some police heads will roll. In the end, we will never know what actually happened that night.

• Like 1

I don't like anything about the police investigation into this crime. It seems to have been slipshod and mishandled from the beginning. I think that the two accused will walk and some police heads will roll. In the end, we will never know what actually happened that night.

You may be correct.

Expecting more from a police force of 7, faced with this kind of crime in Thailand...

Well, I am not shocked.

To build that into conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory and to assume that someone is guilty without a trial or even evidence? That is simply way OTT.

(yes I think they have the killers in custody, I however think there should be a trial and let guilt or innocence be determined)

• Like 1

This is pure speculation but I have a theory on why the son of the Village Headman did not give a DNA sample until a month later........

During those initial DNA tests they also tested for drug use. Maybe he was worried that would show up? No worries now a month later.....

Police freed both Montriwat and his brother Woraphan after blood and urine test did not match DNA collected from the scene, and no drug addiction was found.

from this article:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-twist-murder-two-brits-koh-tao/

Yes, I've heard that a few times, apparently it takes a month for the drug/s to dissipate. Headman would have been devastated, the golden child, uni educated, clean cut driving mercedes son was dabbling.

Unfortunately headman has to take full responsibility for his son's actions he's a product of his environment.

Face, done already.

Life on his island will never be the same. He lost face the first time he opened his mouth.

You may be correct.

Expecting more from a police force of 7, faced with this kind of crime in Thailand...

Well, I am not shocked.

To build that into conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory and to assume that someone is guilty without a trial or even evidence? That is simply way OTT.

(yes I think they have the killers in custody, I however think there should be a trial and let guilt or innocence be determined)

Well, I am not shocked.

What are you talking about? do you honestly believe that?

As far as I am aware there have been hundreds of police on this case, including several with the rank of general.

There were 7 on the island when the murders occurred.

And your point is? And what does that have to do with this disaster of an investigation?

I will leave that for you to figure out. Other people get it.

And your point is? And what does that have to do with this disaster of an investigation?

I will leave that for you to figure out. Other people get it.

OK, whatever. Hopefully these other people "that get it" will fill me in on how this case is so tarnished because of some 7 police officers on the Island.

It doesn't matter about the amount of police on the island it's the unprofessionalism of them.

The posting of pictures on FB and letting Mon etc in the crime scene.

All the conspiracy theories and inconsistencies in this case are caused by the inept ability of the RTP.

• Like 2

I don't think that most many of the posters here would fit your concept of an educated poster; however, I'll disagree in your opinion of JD. I look forward to his posts as I do your yours. I don't always agree with either of you, but I like to hear what you both have to say.

Yawn.....

• Like 2

What do you mean, "We", Kemosabe? wai2.gifwai.gif

So you know what happened?

But you clearly do?? Since you clearly have stated, that even if the suspects are acquitted in a trial, you will still believe, they are guilty!!

But you clearly do?? Since you clearly have stated, that even if the suspects are acquitted in a trial, you will still believe, they are guilty!!

Another lie, but I am sure you can find any post where I state what I will think after an acquittal. :roll eyes:

To help you in future straw man arguments, let me remind you that an acquittal is not a finding of innocence.