Debit Networks - NOT exchange rates or fees

I really don't want this to go the convoluted discussion way of exchange rates, interest rates, or even bank fees. Just restricted to information about banking networks.

I went in to do a counter withdrawal at Bangkok Bank a couple of days ago, using my Canadian bank debit card (not credit card).

I wanted to withdraw more than the maximum amount the ATM will give (25k baht) and as a bonus, I thought I'd avoid that huge 180 baht fee. My Canadian bank will permit a much greater withdrawal than that restricted 25k.

They examined my card and pointed out that the logos on the back were Interac, The Exchange, Cirrus and Maestro. For a counter withdrawal the card must have Visa or MasterCard logos, using those networks.

End result, I had to use the ATM for a maximum of 25k baht plus that nasty fee.

So: networks - which Thai banks are associated with which international networks. Are they all Visa/MasterCard, or is there a variation?

Maybe all the same, so I'll never be able to use that debit card for larger withdrawals, but if another bank will manage it, which are they?

Possibly another subject for pinning with a clear table outlining the options.

That's really strange. Cirrus and Maestro are owned by Mastercard so Cirrus is basically a Mastercard network. And Bangkok Bank ATMs have Cirrus and Maestro logos on them.

Something is telling me in my gut the branch you tried just didn't want to do a counter withdrawal for a "debit" card. The Bangkok Bank branch I use will not do a counter withdrawal for a debit card, but gladly accepts a credit card. Fortunately I have a no foreign transaction fee and no cash advance fee Visa credit card that I use...and then come home after the withdrawal and immediately pay off the withdrawal to avoid any interest penalty.

When I first tried the Bangkok Bank branch with my debit card they simply pointed me to their ATM and said they wouldn't/couldn't do it for a debit card but would have no problem with a credit card. They point out on the card were it said "debit" and were not concerned about logos. So, I came back in a few days with my credit card and had no problem doing a counter withdrawal....have repeated that process using my credit card I think 8 times since around Feb 14 when AEON ATMs started charging a Bt150 foreign card fee.

Try another branch....I remember seeing several posts in other threads where a Bangkok Bank branch accepted a debit card for a counter withdrawal.

I second the posting from Pib on this.

The reply you got from the branch was either given because they did not know how to do it. Or were just to lazy to do all the necessary things (including signed copy of your passport). It was easier for them to point you to the ATM.

cirrus is the Mastercard ATM network, Maestro is the POS online network for debit. Mastercard brand can be all devices and debit or credit, online or offline.

If the bank counter doesnt display the Maestro brand then they are simply not certified to accept that by Mastercard. It could simply be they don't have installed any electronic read authorisation terminals with pin pad. I honesty dont think the branch is trying to pull a fast one. if the maestro brand was displayed inside and they refused, thats another matter. But sorry to say, in this case they are 100% correct in not accepting.

i always prefer cards with Mastercard or VISA brands at least whether debit or credit. they are the most functional and work in all legacy devices and all modes. maestro and cirrus sub brands are meant to be always online authorised, often with PIN in some markets, and add more risk management but the trade off is less flexibility and acceptance.

The branch I tried is a main one, on Thanon Samsen in Phra Nakorn, so I doubt it was a branch problem. However, back in Ban Phe, I'll try at our local branch, and in Rayong when I'm next there.

As Pib pointed out, Cirrus is owned by MasterCard and should have worked. The ATMs have no difficulty pumping out cash using that card, it was just inside at the desk. And as it was first thing in the morning, the place wasn't busy at all, no lineups, and the lady seemed quite knowledgable and willing to help, and I clearly had my passport sitting under the card so it was readily accessible.

As much as anything else, I'd like to understand the networking thing, as BKBK counter says it won't work, and yet same bank's ATMs do.