PM urges public to watch out for corruption and to report to government

Lite Beer

Addressing the nation in his weekly Return Happiness to the People on Friday night, the prime minister said he didn’t understand why there are still people looking for an opportunity to acquire ill-gotten gains or to get involved in corruption.

Umm, because it is in their nature and has been a part of Thai culture since year dot!

This whole thing is a farce anyway; if someone reports another for corruption they will be taken to court for making them lose face!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now he mentions it, I'm wondering where Prayuth's assets of 102 million baht (plus, of course, the 268 million he transferred to his father and siblings and the further 198 million he transferred to his children) came from.

Perhaps one shouldn't be cynical. Who knows. It could all be the result of just having a very good savings plan. If so, maybe he could share some his financial secrets with the nation in his Friday chats.

• Like 1

I almost had the check the date after reading this rubbish.

Maybe if you want to stop corruption you should start by checking the biggest story in the media at the moment, corruption at its absolute worst and in my opinion shows the world exactly where your country is heading.

Time for action?

@Zonka

I'll back you up on the taxi thing.

No meter from Mo chit BTS to DMK.

I also thought every taxi must take a fare.......

Stopped a taxi on sukhimvhit 15 to go to Makkasan....... He refused.

Why do some guys get all the excitement??coffee1.gif

Strange responses by foreigners that think they kniw what Thai people want.

Corruption is not taking perks of the job or paying off a cop to save you picking up your license at the station.

That is corrupion that benefits all. Corruption he refers to is that which harms the country as a whole.

Thai people WANT corruption no 1.

As for getting off with a crime - if your child did something wrong that could ruin his/her life, would you act legally or do sonething to save their life. No point criticising if you would adhere to corrupt activities.

If you are Thai then it is a perfect illustration of the failings of the education system. If you are not Thai then you must be a troll.

Most educated people know the importance of "Engaging brain first before opening mouth"

Always a good philosophy I thought

Johnniey, i don't think you have lived in a western society, but anyway..... it's true that some form of corruption do benefits most of us, but you must accept this type of small corruption that benefit us is not a good form of exercise; let me explain why. By creating this type of mentality( by accepting small time corruption is ok) will lead you to an inherent cheating behavior.. like a bad habit if you would like. furthermore, this type of environment will have an effect on people around you, for example your children.As you can see this then becomes everyone's mentality which turns into an vicious cycle. This behavior you can see everywhere in Thailand in the university for example. students don't put enough effort in to their studies, and then turning to their solution(always taking the easy way out) of cheating to get a bachelor degree because he/she is taught from a young age that cheating and lying is acceptable.

This is why Thai's society fails, because the majority of the people are taught that cheating and lying is good. This also goes all the way to the official in the governments, and people see this, by which they think that if the police can cheat why can't we? i could go on and on about the way corruption affects Thai people, but i don't really have time to writing an article.

my point is that you can't have both type of society where one has a mentality of cheating and lying is ok, and the other that it is not ok.

you either accept corruption or you don't.

yes, if you have read my statement THAT IS THE RESON WHY THAIS WANT CORRUPTION NO.1

And for my child getting off with a crime; my children would not have been taught committing a crime is ok. Even if my child did commit a crime i would not help or support him/her. i would make sure that he/she learns, personally from me. i would not certain say MAI PEN RAI, MAI PEN RAI.

Yes, good idea, Mr. Prime Minister. Watch out for that corruption, and as soon as you spot it, do the patriotic thing and report it, for the good of the country, and your fellow Thais. Then grab a beer, find a comfortable chair, and wait for the BIB to show up at your door with the papers concerning the defamation lawsuit leveled against you. If the good PM is serious about eliminating corruption, and finding ways to get the country back on its feet, then repealing the ridiculous defamation laws should be item number one on his "to do" list.

@Zonka

OMG! Did you report those awful taxi drivers? I can deeply empathize with with your feelings of rejection and humiliation over the matters. I'm considering starting a 12 step support group so we can all share and overcome our pain and anguish regarding these horrid people. Time for a group hug here! Now, breathe deep... and envision yourself on the dark side of the moon. And there in that womb of darkness and space; set all of those feelings free from the gravity of your soul. Don't worry you'll be OK!

smile.png

Corruption is not taking perks of the job or paying off a cop to save you picking up your license at the station.

That is corrupion that benefits all. Corruption he refers to is that which harms the country as a whole.

As for getting off with a crime - if your child did something wrong that could ruin his/her life, would you act legally or do sonething to save their life. No point criticising if you would adhere to corrupt activities.

If you are Thai then it is a perfect illustration of the failings of the education system. If you are not Thai then you must be a troll.

how racist can you get? The 2hile Thai nation is uneducated acc. To you. Pathetic.

@Zonka

OMG! Did you report those awful taxi drivers? I can deeply empathize with with your feelings of rejection and humiliation over the matters. I'm considering starting a 12 step support group so we can all share and overcome our pain and anguish regarding these horrid people. Time for a group hug here! Now, breathe deep... and envision yourself on the dark side of the moon. And there in that womb of darkness and space; set all of those feelings free from the gravity of your soul. Don't worry you'll be OK!

smile.png

OK OK OK I get it now, my post was a bit lame.

Dear me.

• Like 1

Corruption is so widespread in Thailand that it is impossible to go about daily life without see it... All I say to the PM is go undercover for a day ( wear some old cloths and long hair) and walk around Sukhumvit soi 5 to 7 at night. Police standing on the street and crime going on everywhere in plain site, hookers, sex toys and drugs being sold, copy goods being sold, taxis not using meters, etc ..... That is only one small place.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

how racist can you get? The 2hile Thai nation is uneducated acc. To you. Pathetic.

Actually, I would have to say that YOU, Johnniey, are the troll. albeit borderline. The fact that a farang has the "audacity" to point to the failings of the Thai educational system is not racist, it is one person's opinion of your system...an opinion that is, unfortunately, shared by many. Whatawonderfulday was NOT saying that the "2hile" (maybe you meant "whole"? Not that that would be indicative of the failings of the educational system...the fact that you can't spell?) Thai nation is uneducated. Just that the educational system needs reform and improvement. And if you actually believe that it is OK for anyone to attempt to manipulate the legal system to get their relative free of a murder charge, then perhaps you need some additional education in morality, compassion, human decency, and ethics. Also, to voice the moronic opinion that "Thai people WANT corruption" is a pathetic evaluation of your own people, and a condemnation of your own country, out of your own mouth. I, as a farang, happen to have a higher opinion of the morals and ethics of Thai people than you apparently do. I do not think that Thai people WANT corruption. I think they want a system that treats them fairly, that does not yield to corruption on anyone's part, at ANY level, and that does not allow money or position to exclude anyone from justice. Your attitude, my "friend", is a pathetic example of the attitude that has held Thailand back for so long, and that desperately needs to be expunged. OBTW...from the Merriam Webster dictionary of the English language: "corruption: dishonest or illegal behavior, especially by powerful people (such as government officials or POLICE OFFICERS [emphasis mine])." You might want to invest in an English language dictionary and refer to it before attempting to lecture native speakers on the meaning of a word. And just for your added information...corruption does NOT benefit all. It HARMS all by corrupting the nation's morals, and destroying its reputation, as corruption has done to Thailand. Justice denied to one, regardless of how small an instance, is justice denied to all.

Edited by Traveler19491
  • Like 1