Need advice on what to do to come to Thailand to teach English.

I have no prior teaching experience so was thinking either a TEFL, or CELTA course.

Is either "better"?

I am keen to do it in Koh Samui, Phuket, or maybe Chang Mai.

Any recommendations for any of these places?

If I arrive with a 60 day visa (I am Australian). can the school help me to extend it?

Would I be better off just coming to Thailand and looking for a job (ie dont do a course)?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a Teacher but know off Teachers that came here with little qualifications and have grown old with no money, no house and living month to month in their 50's wearing Tesco clothes and are heavy drinkers.

They have Thai families now so they cant leave.

Be aware before you plan a life in Thailand as a Teacher. Not recommoned unless you have an other income or are rich!

I do not drink, or party, and having little money means nothing to me if I am happy.

The ave pay is upwards of 30000 baht correct?

I live off that now in Australia.

• Like 2

I am not a Teacher but know off Teachers that came here with little qualifications and have grown old with no money, no house and living month to month in their 50's wearing Tesco clothes and are heavy drinkers.

They have Thai families now so they cant leave.

Be aware before you plan a life in Thailand as a Teacher. Not recommoned unless you have an other income or are rich!

I do not drink, or party, and having little money means nothing to me if I am happy.

The ave pay is upwards of 30000 baht correct?

I live off that now in Australia.

30k would be the maximum amount for an unqualified teacher, working illegally.

But no employment after age 60. No health care for them either (unqualified teachers).

Not to mention the schools treat them badly, and dismiss at a moments notice.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Without a degree you would be working illegally.

Without a degree in education, the number of years you can work legally is restricted.

You say illegally, and then legally.

Not following you.

If I work illegally, I can work for x amount of years only?

How can you stay in Thailand if you are working illegally?

30k would be the maximum amount for an unqualified teacher, working illegally.

But no employment after age 60. No health care for them either (unqualified teachers).

Not to mention the schools treat them badly, and dismiss at a moments notice.

What would be the "normal" rate?

I would imagine I could live off 20k easily.

Most of what I pay now in Oz goes to rent, and that would be less than half in Thailand.

Without a degree in education, the number of years you can work legally is restricted.

Not following you.

With a degree, you can work a few years with a teaching licence waiver.

With a degree in education you can get a teaching licence.

Without a degree there is no legal option for employment as a teacher (no teaching license and no teaching licence waiver).

• Like 2

what if you ever want to have a family?

but dont expect any government services or support or even any rights for free that you enjoy in Australia.

I would hope my wife would help and work some.

I do not receive anything from the Govment now, and our rights that you speak of, are disappearing fast.

I am not really sure we have any real ones left.

It also not that difficult to obtain a degree as I have friends who were in the Lowest grade classes in school which past their exams and now have degrees.

Also Uni is a great life experience and great fun.

4 years full time is too much IMHO.

Part time would be ok.

I will see if there are online courses also.

Thailad eventually will do you in in the long run.

You mean Thailand is not a great place?

Even if I do a year it will be amazing IMHO.

I have been there many times already, so have a little idea on the country.

It is a place in which I am happy, and that is all I care about.

The poorer I am, the happier I am for some reason.

I guess it has to do with forcing myself to adapt/change/survive (and not sitting in a comfort zone).

Edited by Great White

If you are just looking for a year, than fine. There is something called Chitchester Acadamy and they can train you for a month and help you find a job possibly. You may find it worthwhile contacting them. I would not look at Thailand for the long term, you will end up disappointed. Most jobs in Thailand are dead ends at this time.

If you are just looking for a year, than fine. There is something called Chitchester Acadamy and they can train you for a month and help you find a job possibly. You may find it worthwhile contacting them. I would not look at Thailand for the long term, you will end up disappointed. Most jobs in Thailand are dead ends at this time.

I googled Chit Acad and the only results were from the UK.

Edited by Great White

Not following you.

With a degree, you can work a few years with a teaching licence waiver.

With a degree in education you can get a teaching licence.

Without a degree there is no legal option for employment as a teacher (no teaching license and no teaching licence waiver).

Not true.

To work for government schools under OBEC you need a license. This is not the case for all teaching jobs.

What he means is you need a degree to gain a work permit (actually it's up to officials if you need a degree or not) and be legally employed and because of the insistence of a degree in education you get a two year waiver if you have any degree, but you need to complete exams and cultural courses to get a license and continue legal employment.

I advise:

1: Get a TEFL cert as it'll help you prepare for the classroom.

2: Choose a CELTA over a TEFL cert if you want to go global. CELTA is also focused on the teaching of adults, hence the name. Ask yourself if you aspire to teaching adults or children.

3: A degree makes life easier in terms of getting a work permit and employment, but it's not the only way to gain legal employment.

Edited by EASYDOGG
  • Like 1

I googled Chit Acad and the only results were from the UK.

CELTA is best, but if you only plan on teaching in Thailand then a TEFL from here is useful.

OP I bellieve 30000 b is the going rate but I am told that some schools are only paying 25,000 b. You could live on that but what if you ever want to have a family?

Kids are expensive if you want to give them a good start in Thailand.

Also with the crackdown on Visa runners its is becoming more difficult for these teachers to survive here and stay here.

You can be happy here working but dont expect any government services or support or even any rights for free that you enjoy in Australia.

Get yourself a Degree before your made a move abroad, I promise this will made life easier for you in Thailand and any other countries you wish to Travel.

That my advise - Take it or leave it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Agree totally with Kit007.

Get a degree - it can be in anything. Even Education.

Do a Cambridge Uni TEFLA course in Oz, (RMIT in Melbourne) as you'll be taught by qualified lecturers, have access to good libraries and materials, and you'll certainly learn extremely good methodology, lesson planning and so on. Being taught by Thai teachers can be very different.

It's not going to be an instant thing, but a 6 month part-time course for TEFLA is suggested as the short course is very intensive.

The matter of a degree is quite a separate thing; Unlike other ASEAN countries, the Thai Govt insists on a degree, but having got this, you're set for life and I believe you might be able to obtain a teaching licence in Thailand. If you tire of Thailand, the neighbouring countries are all looking for qualified teachers. Indonesia is a good choice and you'd have the advantage of being able to learn the language, as Thai is not as easy.

• Like 1

If you're happy to work without a work permit and in the private or corporate sector go for a CELTA. Working with adults should ensure a higher rate of pay than working with children in a school - and is more mentally rewarding.

Expect to earn 600 baht per hour in those sectors so 50 hours a month should get you 30k baht - but you should be able to get 15 -20 hours a week if you're good (and lucky).

1: Get a TEFL cert as it'll help you prepare for the classroom.

2: Choose a CELTA over a TEFL cert if you want to go global. CELTA is also focused on the teaching of adults, hence the name. Ask yourself if you aspire to teaching adults or children.

3: A degree makes life easier in terms of getting a work permit and employment, but it's not the only way to gain legal employment.

Thank you,

I think both adults and children would be fun/challenging to teach.

CELTA sounds like the way to go.

Edited by Great White

Sir

it seems you want to teach, not because you would like to be involved with educating kids, maybe because you want a work permit to live here.

No I want to teach, but need to know the best way to do it.

I would prefer NOT to have to do a visa run, or leave the country every month or two.

If you're happy to work without a work permit and in the private or corporate sector go for a CELTA. Working with adults should ensure a higher rate of pay than working with children in a school - and is more mentally rewarding.

Expect to earn 600 baht per hour in those sectors so 50 hours a month should get you 30k baht - but you should be able to get 15 -20 hours a week if you're good (and lucky).

Not fussed about the money so much, but 50 hours a month seems pretty lazy.

Not sure what I would do if I was only teaching 2 hours a day.

Thailand is not Utopia and happiness not guaranteed . Are you planning on doing visa runs every 3 months , I'm not sure that they haven't been stopped . Schools are not very well organised or children well behaved , to teach in Thailand you need a lot of patience . 30,000bt is the minimum you are legally allowed to earn . My guess is that nobody is going to pay a man with no degree or teaching experience that amount of money . I think you need a better plan , you need to spend time in Thailand ; the places you fancy to teach will no doubt have a full complement of qualified teachers , you are dreaming and you need to come down to reality on earth .