Need advice on what to do to come to Thailand to teach English.

The OP might be wise to read through the job listings and other articles on ** link to commercial site removed ** rather than take much of the ill-informed advice being proferred here!

This was already provided on the previous page. I hope he seriously looks into this but what is just as worrisome (sp) is how cheaply he expects to live here. Not impossible but many have crashed and burned.
  • Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP might be wise to read through the job listings and other articles on **url of commercial site removed** rather than take much of the ill-informed advice being proferred here!

If he is married, as I believe he said he is, so can obtain a marriage visa. And if his wife is prepared to work, which I believe he said she would, then he'd be likely earning a combined income of 35-60k (Assuming he is 25+ & she's 10+), depending on his wife's qualifications/experience and what job he landed for himself.

He could pickup a job teaching at a language school (Since they're not under OBEC so don't require teaching licenses) and obtain a work permit through them. Although as I said earlier, I've heard that they often don't do paperwork for ppl so it might not work out.

Or he could work for a school which was able to obtain him a WP, as often the DoL is more relaxed in their interpretation of regulations than immigration, so a WP without a degree is definitely possible.

It would all hinge upon him having a Thai wife and meeting the requirements for a marriage extension (or multiple O).

Of course, things may change in the future to screw this all up, but most of us are in that situation (e.g. We have bachelor degrees in fields outside of Education, so with the licence exams having stopped, we become ineligible for temporary licenses after our 2nd, or possibly 3rd if we're lucky).

I don't know if I'd reccommend it, but if he's only living off around 30k THB per month in Aus, and spending half of that on rent (As he said), in addition to being reasonably disillusioned with Aus, it's probably worth a shot, and there's not really a lot to lose.

• Like 1

Get a degree - any. Take one online if you haven't got one...

DO a 120 TEFL from "Accredited" learning centre (Better in Aus)

If you haven't done any training or teaching this is worth the effort/expense.

(A CELTA is designed more for teaching 16 to Adults, but Is similar)

Go to Thailand (Bangkok has more openings) Get in a Taxi and visit schools drop your CV Picture and Thai telephone number.

You should get a job in a week or so... depends on the time of year.

They just need real English speakers - who can pronounce words and make a sentence with "no" Grammar mistakes...

Before Songkran holidays start in April (So be there in March.)

If you don't get a degree (An Aus friend of mine got one in Horticulture...)

then you will be working illegally and the school will cheat you (more than usual)

I'm Generalising

You Philosophy is right -

so give it a year, get the experience (And finish your degree?)

Then ASIA is your oyster...

(China Japan and Korea pay up to 5 times more for 20 hours)

I think you need a better plan , you need to spend time in Thailand ; the places you fancy to teach will no doubt have a full complement of qualified teachers , you are dreaming and you need to come down to reality on earth .

Someone really killed your dreams didnt they?

Is reality on Earth?

Last I checked there is not much here.

A pseudo-reality created by the elite that not too much are aware of. The world is run by the MIC in case you didnt know.

Is that the MFWIC

I have been teaching on a retirement visa for 4 years at the largest private school system in southeast Asia. They will hire ANYBODY and are currently desparate for teachers due to the monkeys f*cking around with the visa policies. We ask ourselves regularly "Why are we still working here?" The Thai school administrators scheme continuously how they can make our lives more miserable. Example: they will shut the water to the toilet the teachers use. No reason other than to make us uncomfortable. They CONSTANTLY muck about with our pay and it's a rarity when we get paid on time without a teacher's salary being shorted for one reason or another. TEACHING IN THAILAND IS NOT A CAREER!!! It's great for me, I don't give a sh*t, I have a comfortable pension and real estate investments, I work because I don't want to be one of those guys sitting in a bar with a half-finished Heineken at 10:00 in the morning. If you live like a pauper, you can eek out an existence on the 30k baht, but long term planning doesn't include this place.

A degree would take what, 4 years to get in Australia?

In my country you can get a Degree in 3 years, I believe it also depends on which subject you study.

I do know of people plus Aussies that have left Thailand to go back to their country to optain a degree, and then plan to return to Thailand.

And i know Australia will paid your Uni fee's.

It also not that difficult to obtain a degree as I have friends who were in the Lowest grade classes in school which past their exams and now have degrees.

Also Uni is a great life experience and great fun.

Most companies/schools will take a look at your resume and if you dont have a degree they will bin it as its not difficult to find people with degrees as its 2014 and

most young people are obtaining degree's.

I do know of people plus Aussies........ Do you mean "including" Aussies ? I hope just a poor choice of words.

Cheers..... Mal.

OP depends on where you want to live. i was near nong khai and there are always jobs available for non degree holders. i and several co-workers are examples. all working government schools, with valid visa and work permits without problems. if a school likes your look, energy and life experience they will work it out.

rate of pay between 22,000 & 35,000 baht per month. places such as nong khai (ptk), tha bo, sri chiang mai, chiang kan (beautiful city by the way), have employed teachers without degrees. some have worked at these schools for 7+ years, so it is possible. i even know for fact companies like sine and others hire non degree holders.

in nong khai you can find ac equipped housing for less than 2500 baht so living off of 22-30,000 baht would be easy.

i recently left the teaching industry as i did not agree with the companies hiring practices. as a parent i found no value in the program but the school had committed to them for the year. next year when they end the contract i may reconsider.

good luck in your search.

If you are just looking for a year, than fine. There is something called Chitchester Acadamy and they can train you for a month and help you find a job possibly. You may find it worthwhile contacting them. I would not look at Thailand for the long term, you will end up disappointed. Most jobs in Thailand are dead ends at this time.

I googled Chit Acad and the only results were from the UK.

CELTA is best, but if you only plan on teaching in Thailand then a TEFL from here is useful.

That's true, but watch what teacher training school you go to for your TEFL. The course I took in Bangkok was excellent if you want to teach at a Language School, and had too much emphasis on grammar, but not a lot of good if you want to teach Prathom and Mattayom classes ( that's primary and secondary) in government or private schools.

if you really want to teach english, but don't want to get a degree, try the neighboring countries that do not require a degree and some pay more than Thailand.

i have a friend without a degree who taught here for several years, but was finally forced out after skipping around and taking less and less money, who went to work in Cambodia. he tells me he is making more money and nobody cares about a degree. this will surely change in the future, as it has in Thailand.

if it's only Thailand you are interested teaching in, than i recommend you take the wise advice of other posters on this forum.

Thanks, another guy recently told me the same thing.

I like both countries, so Cambodia is def something to check out.

Should I still get a TEFL, or CELTA?

I heard schools are desperate for teachers, especially in the smaller cities in Issan.

The government controls the work permit.

If you someone had a visa from retirement or marriage or educational visa I would think many schools would hire you and allow you to work illegally.

Of course, their first choice would be a legal qualified teacher.

The lower your qualifications then the lower your opportunities and salary.

I don't think I have ever seen a English teacher over 40 years old teaching in Bkk. They want white skin and younger.

Outside the big cities your choices are better

Like previously mentioned, many of the responses are based on reality and the experiences from many ppl.

They are based on their reality.

If you are a cold-hearted person, the world will seem cold and dangerous.

So your reality will be a lot different from mine.

The Universe is simple in that you get what you give. If you treat others poorly, they will treat you poorly.

CELTA is definitely the best bet if you haven't taught before. It's intensive and hard work, and it is possible to fail. But once you've passed, there are plenty of language schools and corporate work out there, especially in Bangkok. A degree helps but is not essential. Don't expect to earn more than around 30,000 at first, but if you're good at it (in Thailand, good = popular) you can do well and your income can rise.

Don't listen to the naysayers. I'd never taught before, did a CELTA in Bangkok in 2005 and have worked here ever since. I'm now earning around 70,000-80,000 a month and I've never been near a "proper" school (although I have a Sociology degree from 1982!!).

Thanks, its good to hear a positive story.

As I said previously, I am living on $1000 a month in Australia now, and my rent is $640 of that.

• Like 1

OP depends on where you want to live. i was near nong khai and there are always jobs available for non degree holders. i and several co-workers are examples. all working government schools, with valid visa and work permits without problems. if a school likes your look, energy and life experience they will work it out.

rate of pay between 22,000 & 35,000 baht per month. places such as nong khai (ptk), tha bo, sri chiang mai, chiang kan (beautiful city by the way), have employed teachers without degrees. some have worked at these schools for 7+ years, so it is possible. i even know for fact companies like sine and others hire non degree holders.

in nong khai you can find ac equipped housing for less than 2500 baht so living off of 22-30,000 baht would be easy.

i recently left the teaching industry as i did not agree with the companies hiring practices. as a parent i found no value in the program but the school had committed to them for the year. next year when they end the contract i may reconsider.

Are you an experienced teachers with good qualifications?

Probably more options for working when retired if experienced.

If on extension of stay based on retirement you could be 50 years old.

If look younger and energy then opportunities increase.

Anything is possible.

Some options have more obstacles.

You Sir, are in love and love is blind.

Human beings are a societal creature, so to "love", and help, each other is a natural thing.

We are not meant to live separate lives.

And no, love is not blind in reality.

It might be blind to the programming that you have been conditioned by, but that programming is not a natural thing.

I mean, we are at the point where women are offended when a man finds them attractive.

Does that sound normal to you?

People in the USA are talking about allowing abortion for children as old as 5 years of age.

Sound normal?

So yeah, I may see the best side of people, but that does not mean I am unaware of what is going on.

You should consider Laos. You don't need a degree to teach there legally, it helps, and will let you teach at one of the several international schools in Vientiane. Plus the Lao are nicer people in my opinion. But I've lived there for 9 years and am married to a Lao so my opinion is biased.

I've been to Thailand dozens of times and I know for a fact that farangs get screwed over there much more so than in Laos. No beaches in Laos though, so that could be a downer.

I will check it out, thanks.

Thank you.

And to the others, what are you doing with all your money?

I know a guy in Australia who made $200k last year, and now he has no money.

And most in my industry could not go a month without working.

Is it drugs, or alcohol?

You've been given good advice - if you want to <deleted> up your life then ignore it.

Also Thailand is damn expensive, despite what you may have heard. You'lol need more than 30,000 baht a month.

Having an adventure is hardly f$%king up your life.

We are meant to push ourselves, and not sit comfortably while we shut ourselves off from the outside world.

All the rich people I know do nothing but work, and are very unhappy.

More than 30,000 a month?

Perhaps you are too busy showing off to others and not busy enough living your own life?!

I know most are now. Its all about creating the illusion of happiness instead of just being happy.

Keep it simple stupid.

Having more money doesn't mean happier.

There are standards of living and costs that most people from Western countries consider acceptable.

Thailand is not your country. They have the right to make their own rules. You are a guest.

Thailand has rules for people to be guest.

Thailand allows foreigners to come to Thailand to bring in western money and western education.

Retirement in Thailand has financial requirement.

Thailand doesn't want the poor and uneducated coming to Thailand. Thailand already has enough.

They give visas to people that will enhance the country.

I always remember I am a guest here and I try to contribute to the host otherwise I should leave.

if you really want to teach english, but don't want to get a degree, try the neighboring countries that do not require a degree and some pay more than Thailand.

i have a friend without a degree who taught here for several years, but was finally forced out after skipping around and taking less and less money, who went to work in Cambodia. he tells me he is making more money and nobody cares about a degree. this will surely change in the future, as it has in Thailand.

if it's only Thailand you are interested teaching in, than i recommend you take the wise advice of other posters on this forum.

Thanks, another guy recently told me the same thing.

I like both countries, so Cambodia is def something to check out.

Should I still get a TEFL, or CELTA?

The CELTA is a TEFL qualification. It's probably the most well known (worldwide), is relatively expensive, and takes a month of intensive work (lessons in the morning, observed teaching practice with real students in the afternoon, peer feedback after that, then lesson planning for the next day, and finally 3 long written assignments in the evening). There are hundreds of other TEFL courses if you don't fancy the CELTA, and if you're not planning on making a career out of TEFL, they are fine. I'd stay away from any online TEFL courses though. If you haven't taught before, teaching practice is essential!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Like previously mentioned, many of the responses are based on reality and the experiences from many ppl.

They are based on their reality.

If you are a cold-hearted person, the world will seem cold and dangerous.

So your reality will be a lot different from mine.

The Universe is simple in that you get what you give. If you treat others poorly, they will treat you poorly.

I get what you're saying but dealing in generalizations and specifics are different. Personally I have not taught but know some guys which have said similar things as others have said here. It's just too simplistic what you just said. Personally it took me a bit to get over some hang ups here after the honeymoon period was over but have over came them and they're not a big deal any longer.

I don't know your experience here and how you deal with ppl or potentially sticky situation but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Teach in Vietnam. Cheaper place to live. Don't need a degree.

Mind you today's degrees you can do online and much shorter time frame. Bit like off the back of cereol packet.

OP as for saying you get nothing from AU government. Give me a break. You get centerlink you get rent assistance.....to name a few.

Clearly you haven't been sick. In AU you have one of worlds best health care and its free. Hope you don't get sick here or break limb etc....your tune may change.

Edited by jacksam

Great White, I'm curious, why don't you want to get a degree?

Southeast Asia is going through an integration process. We are only at the very beginning of this process. ASEAN has been liberalizing restrictions on service jobs (in all 12 service sectors as defined by the WTO) for ASEAN citizens since 1995. This means that slowly, the entire labor force of the ASEAN countries will being merged into one. This includes all forms of teaching.

In 2012, the size of the ASEAN labor force (according to the World Bank) was 310 million people with an annual growth rate of 2% which would put the labor force this year at around 322 million people . Not everyone in the labor force wants to be an English teacher but there are a lot that do and they are going to a university to earn a degree so they can compete in the ASEAN labor market. The more ASEAN English teachers integrate into the English teaching market, the less the number of Western native English teachers the ASEAN countries will need.

It's only a matter of time before ASEAN education standards in all levels of education are integrated. This has already started with the ASEAN University Network (AUN).

I do not expect teaching qualifications to get any easier as ASEAN continues its integration process. Most likely ASEAN will have an agreed upon minimum standard in the future. If you are not qualified you may find yourself unemployed, just like many western English teachers are finding out now as Thailand's requirements are changing, .

A degree gives you options. Not having one limits your options to whatever is offered to you. Unless you're already rich, without a degree there is a good chance you, and whatever family you create in the future, will be poor for the rest of your life.

I do wish you the best of luck because moving into this labor market with no qualifications is risky.

Would you be able to get a teaching job, with your current qualifications and experience in Australia?

If no, please don't think you can do so somewhere else.

I think you'll find that there are thousands of people with his experience/qualifications who get teaching jobs in Thailand every year, and tens of thousands more who get teaching jobs elsewhere. So his interest in a teaching job seems well founded don't you think?

Particularly as he is looking to improve his qualifications by taking a TESOL or CELTA course. Either of which would likely qualify him to teach English as a second language in Australian English language schools (Although they do like to also see experience teaching abroad as well).

So please get down off your high horse :)

Great White, I'm curious, why don't you want to get a degree?

A degree gives you options. Not having one limits your options to whatever is offered to you. Unless you're already rich, without a degree there is a good chance you, and whatever family you create in the future, will be poor for the rest of your life.

I do wish you the best of luck because moving into this labor market with no qualifications is risky.

It's not hugely surprising that he wouldn't want to get a degree. When he has a wife (and possibly kids) to support, the prospect of spending 3-4 years studying fulltime probably isn't the most tempting option from a financial perspective, unless of course he were already rich.

But you've put the same caveat as a valid reason for not studying lol.

He hasn't said how old he is, but studying is both more difficult and of less long term value as you get older (Since your time until retirement/pension becomes less each year).

Not to mention of course that if he was enjoyed studying, and had the inclination for it, then he would have likely studied after he finished high school. so if he didn't then, and it's more difficult now (both mentally and financially), as well as being of less long term value, then it's not going to be an easy choice, especially when he's never taught before and so doesn't know if he'll enjoy it as a career path or not.

@OP - I'd say take your CELTA course (they're generally better regarded than standard TESOL courses) and you'll get some practical teaching experience while you do it. You can then likely get a job teaching in Thailand or elsewhere for 6-12 months to see if you enjoy it of not.

If you do enjoy it and see it as a valid career path, then look into studying part time while teaching to increase your employability and secure your ability to work as a teacher long term. Thongsook College has a good degree course which people can study during the school holidays, and there are various courses available online/via correspondence as well.

• Like 1

Great white, 30000 baht mth in Australia? You must be on the dole or work part time. I suggest you don't go to Thailand , it's not kind to people. Especially guys, guys seemed to be sucked in by the life style, teaching English is great just to experience Thailand for 3 mths, stay any longer and u end up on the treadmill, live pay packet to pay packet, that's a month without a pay. Think carefully before you take the leap, all is not greener on the other side of the fence

Often when someone asks a question on this forum they are really just looking for reassurance and not really listening to any advice that is contrary to what they already decided they want to do.

Coming to Thailand with no degree and wanting to teach English is a disaster waiting to happen. Ok, I know others have done it but they usually lead miserable lives and wish they had never come here.

You think you can live here on 20k per month and be happy ?

If the most you can earn in Australia is $1000 per month then you probably have no skills to speak of, you would be much better of learning a skill, working for a while and saving some money. If you can get a degree the it will stand you in good stead for the future in whatever you choose to do.

• Like 1

Good point.

If you ability to earn money in Australia is the same as a part time English teacher in Thailand I would questions you skills and ambition.

I think he said he has a Thai wife(living in Thailand) but he is still living in Australia?

Have you ever lived in the same city as her?

Can she support him?

Education is never too late. Since I want to continue to teach legally and have a secure future, at 48 years it was necessary to go to school to get my M. ED.

Without it, I would have few legal options and difficult to find any work when older.

Would be lovely if people that wish to call themselves teachers at very least have the recognized qualifications that are required in farang world.

At very most call youself an assistant or trainee ....something other than insult the profession.

Also what's with the failed people in their own country that are attracted to cheap life style here.....don't you get it ? Unless you have made your bucks already, Thailand will end in tears. Get over the free lunch.

• Like 1