Recommendation for Shipping of Personal Effects

Khon Baan Nok

I have personal items - books, papers, clothes, similar such effects - that I am not using here. Much I will give to others who could use them, but some things can be returned to the US where they will be useful to me.

Questions:

1. Has anyone done such shipping using the Thai postal service? If so, what are the rules and restrictions regarding weight, size, containers, etc.? How was your experience.

2. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shipping/freight company that can do things that the postal service does not do?

3. I have a few Buddha images, some of which I have brought IN to Thailand, and none of which are old or particularly valuable except to me. That would not guarantee an easy exit from Thailand, depending on the luck of the the Customs Official draw. How do you do the paperwork to ensure that you have no problems with hand-carried or checked luggage exit of such images?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

S.

Your concern should be customs in the US, not customs in Thailand for goods leaving the country. But the US is notorious for not charging customs duty so that is no really a problem

A lot depends upon exactly what the weight of your shipment is going to be. Mail may be expensive, but may be less than a dedicated shipper who may have a large shipping minimum

As covered in other threads about Customs at the airport there is no "customs" inspections upon leaving Thailand and only a cursory one, if that, entering Thailand

You should preferably visit the Fine Arts Department - taking the images with you - and they will certify that they are not important relics and provide Documentation.

It's usually pretty straight forward but some years ago a friend was given a hard time there by one Official because he - my friend - was not Buddhist and the Official took exception and was at pains to point out the images were Religious in nature, not simply Home Decoration. I can see his point.

Patrick

How big are your Buddha statues? If not too big, possible put them in your luggage when you fly back? Extra luggage, depending on the airline, can be a reasonable way to go.

I had a friend who shipped 10 big boxes back to the US a few years ago via the Thai post office. It wasn't that expensive. One didn't make it. But the others did just fine.

Can't help about the images, but everything else can go ThaiPost. They have special boxes available and a cheap mailing rate if you don't want it in a rush - surface mail can take up to two or three months, but no problem.

Do a search and you'll find many other postings about using ThaiPost for overseas stuff. I'll have one more large parcel to go in a week or so, and have no hesitation in sending it by ThaiPost.