Dog Meat Trade in Thailand Is Under Pressure and May Be Banned

Lite Beer

Dog Meat Trade in Thailand Is Under Pressure and May Be Banned
By THOMAS FULLERNOV.

BAAN KLANG, Thailand — The dog-eating community here, a small minority of rice farmers and day laborers, has long understood that its culinary habits do not sit well with people from other parts of Thailand, especially the pet-loving urban middle and upper classes.

But these days, they feel under siege.

Thailand’s military government, which seized power from an elected government in May, is considering a law that would ban the dog meat trade, a move that animal rights activists backing the bill are portraying as a way the junta can enhance its image internationally.

The national police, pressured by some of the same activists, began a crackdown two years ago on the dog trade, arresting those involved in the business on the grounds that they did not have licenses required for the slaughter or transportation of animals.

The police have set up sting operations in the forests where dogs are slaughtered and have arrested what they describe as dog meat kingpins, who export trucks loaded with the animals to Vietnam and China, both countries where dog eating is prevalent.

Dog lovers far outnumber dog eaters among Thailand’s nearly 70 million people. The residents of this picturesque village profess to be both.

“We only eat the fierce dogs — the dogs that bite people or kill chickens,” said Praprut Thanthongdee, 45, a rice farmer who has eaten dog since he was a child. As he spoke with a reporter, he stroked the neck of his pet dog, Money, a white and brown mutt who serves as guard dog, companion in the rice paddies, hunter of dangerous snakes and assistant in herding the water buffalo.

Eating dog, by no means a mainstream tradition in Thai cuisine, is confined to isolated pockets of aficionados, mostly in northeastern Thailand. The practice has existed for decades, chiefly among communities of ethnic Vietnamese, and was put into the national spotlight by the Thai news media in recent years.

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/world/asia/dog-meat-trade-in-thailand-is-under-pressure-and-may-be-banned.html?_r=0

--The New York Times 2014-11-01

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has finally been hounded into doing something about this situation for it to have made the New York Times..

Let's see how long it lasts, if at all.

Why is it any business of Americans, what Thai people eat??

Continue to bomb the Middle-East back further into the stoneage!!

I agree to the first part of your post. However-

Are you indicating the tribal areas of Afghanistan and the frontier states of Pakistan ever got out of stone age? Go and have a look yourself.

I just wonder if the government would close down the outlets of about 500 dog butchers in LOS in a multimillion Baht business and if they have plans to convert everyone making a living out of this business into tour guides?

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

I spoke recently to a young man who is a sailor in the US Navy. He had been located for some reason to Dutch Harbor, Alaska. The area has a problem with feral dogs. Every few years there, such as when a child was mauled to death, a "cull" is announced. All pets are to be held inside and the locals set loose with their firearms to clean up the area. Bounty set at five dollars a tail. 50 baht would be good for Thailand.

Sounds odd. Do you have a link?

I googled it. No info. Perhaps a bar story. We have a mutual facebook friend (the mamasan from the Guam tavern) friend so I will try to authenticate. I am a huge dog lover, don't be mistaken by my post.

On the other hand I am not a prey item to be chased, harried, and bitten by potentially rabid soi dogs who exist only due to the arrogance and irresponsibility of humans.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

If this industry is such a thing as an industry, how are they exporting this product legally, why are they bothering to slaughter covertly in forests, and where do the dogs that come to the kill floor come from. If they are just opportunistically obtaining animals, then I would doubt this to be the case, they would have to be slaughtering animals set for the purpose. I could be wrong...

It does not seem right if these businesses can be registered and brought under inspection like other slaughterhouse business and export businesses why they should not be allowed to continue operation. Of course the source of their animals would have to be verified to ensure they aren't as I some have suggested other threads they are soi dogs or pets stolen. Then I think it would be time to put some people in jail and make an example of them, and step up export checks at the borders to prevent dog meat exports to try and close the supply chain to the bigger export market.

• Like 2

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

Its a cultural difference no different from them probably being disgusted that you eat beef.

It is meat and that is all there is to it.

Do you not find it equally disturbing that everything that you like to feast on has to lose its life to feed you?

No I am not a veggie, I am a meat lover, I just don't sit in judgement of others.

Well an expected response from someone who uses that swivel eyed loon as his avatar.

Oh CULTURE! That hoary old chestnut dusted and put forward as a , haha, valid intelligent argument for the barbarism of tribal peoples from the truly ignorant. It used to be the culture to bind young girls' feet ensuring a lifetime's inability to walk. That okay with you? It still is the culture to marry pre pubescent girls in some countries, after they'd had their genitals mutilated. Ok with that? How about the breeding and slaughtering of tigers to enable some old man to get his dick up [sic]. There are just SIX White Rhinos left on the planet, - Chinese medicine. The Japanese are still defending their culture of slaughtering whales and dolphins under the guise of 'science'. How we doing so far? huh.png

As to my eating habits I am a lifelong vegetarian. I would not condone the suffering of another sentient creature for my supposed enjoyment. And no, I don't wear leather either, so let's not go there.

BTW 'Meat Lover' Are you aware that when you die it will take at least 2 months for your last 'steak and chips' (you sound like that type), to rot in your gut along with the rest of you. After your pulmonary embolism laugh.png

post of the day....its hard to not bite at stupid posts..even i do but you are spot on sir

• Like 2

Dogs and pigs are a lot smarter than cows and chickens. That's mainly why I avoid pork. I wouldn't dream of eating dog meat.

you will be richer healthier and sleep better if you ate none at all..wai2.gif meat is murder..

• Like 2

BTW 'Meat Lover' Are you aware that when you die it will take at least 2 months for your last 'steak and chips' (you sound like that type), to rot in your gut along with the rest of you. After your pulmonary embolism img]

Rubbish.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Pigs have higher intelligence than a dog, but the Americans and British have no issues about eating them and subjecting those animals to grotesque living conditions. However, eating dogs or whales or anything that looks cute, is a huge taboo. Epic double standards.

I would never eat dog, but would never criticize anyone for it.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket
  • Like 1

Thailand has finally been hounded into doing something about this situation for it to have made the New York Times..

Let's see how long it lasts, if at all.

Why is it any business of Americans, what Thai people eat??

Continue to bomb the Middle-East back further into the stoneage!!

First comment, agree.

Second comment, totally wrong and uncalled for and off topic!

• Like 1

Animism is allegedly [if not apparently in this case] a deep and profound associate belief of many who practice Buddhism.

Animistic followers believe that "Every living thing has a soul" and Buddhists believe in Karma.

Animism is apparently most-prevalent in the north east and that is where most of the trading of dogs for their meat goes on.

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

Its a cultural difference no different from them probably being disgusted that you eat beef.

It is meat and that is all there is to it.

Do you not find it equally disturbing that everything that you like to feast on has to lose its life to feed you?

No I am not a veggie, I am a meat lover, I just don't sit in judgement of others.

Well an expected response from someone who uses that swivel eyed loon as his avatar.

Oh CULTURE! That hoary old chestnut dusted and put forward as a , haha, valid intelligent argument for the barbarism of tribal peoples from the truly ignorant. It used to be the culture to bind young girls' feet ensuring a lifetime's inability to walk. That okay with you? It still is the culture to marry pre pubescent girls in some countries, after they'd had their genitals mutilated. Ok with that? How about the breeding and slaughtering of tigers to enable some old man to get his dick up [sic]. There are just SIX White Rhinos left on the planet, - Chinese medicine. The Japanese are still defending their culture of slaughtering whales and dolphins under the guise of 'science'. How we doing so far? huh.png

As to my eating habits I am a lifelong vegetarian. I would not condone the suffering of another sentient creature for my supposed enjoyment. And no, I don't wear leather either, so let's not go there.

BTW 'Meat Lover' Are you aware that when you die it will take at least 2 months for your last 'steak and chips' (you sound like that type), to rot in your gut along with the rest of you. After your pulmonary embolism laugh.png

The last sentence is pure myth...