Is a one year visa enough to get Internet banking at Bangkok Bank?

I remember reading here somewhere that Bangkok bank requires a visa longer than one year in order to give you Internet banking.

I have a one-year non-immigrant educational visa, so I'm not sure if I just barely made the cut off, or not. My visa is the type that has to be extended every three months at immigration.

Anyone else have the same visa? Were you able to get Internet banking?

Edited by Hal65

The max length of any visa/extension of stay is basically one year (a.k.a., long stay visa/extension of stay). Banks are really looking to see what kind of visa/extension of stay stamp you have & time permitted to stay in the kingdom.

Most Bangkok Bank branches should have no problem giving you internet banking also with a long stay visa....but as you may have seen is many posts "some branches" (of all banks, just not Bangkok Bank) just won't do it or even open an account for a farang without a work permit. That's when you walk down the soi and try opening an account and ibanking at another branch. Summary: if one branch turns you down, try another one....you are not put on any banking blacklist if one branch says no...just try another branch.

• Like 2

ask your bank. there is no easier way to get a definitive answer

Your answer applies to sooooo many of the questions asked on this forum. But in this particular case, as Pib pointed out "'some branches' (of all banks, just not Bangkok Bank) just won't do it or even open an account for a farang without a work permit". But other branches of the same bank will. So, unless you ask at every branch of "your bank" (or unless/until you get a "yes" in response), you won't really know if your bank (or just that branch) won't open an account with ibanking privileges. But the "definitive" answer has, I think, been given here.....

• Like 1

No ,bangkok bank open account without work permit . Visit their site it's clearly stated . You have to give passport, a second proof of identity ( your driver license of your country ) and a proof of adress in thailand ( lease agreement ) ...and you can have internet banking. I opened an account like that...the staff was friendly and i show them on their website the papers needed . No problem

Sent from my AT300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ask your bank. there is no easier way to get a definitive answer

Your answer applies to sooooo many of the questions asked on this forum. But in this particular case, as Pib pointed out "'some branches' (of all banks, just not Bangkok Bank) just won't do it or even open an account for a farang without a work permit". But other branches of the same bank will. So, unless you ask at every branch of "your bank" (or unless/until you get a "yes" in response), you won't really know if your bank (or just that branch) won't open an account with ibanking privileges. But the "definitive" answer has, I think, been given here.....

Banks don't issue CREDIT cards to most farangs. It's only DEBIT cards. So if someone skips the country, they leave their own money behind, not the bank's. The same card is of course, used in ATMs. You can open two or more accounts, and not leave your day-to-today money linked to your ATM/VISA card. Just use internet banking and move funds around as required.

Anyway, you have to have money in a Thai bank in order to apply for a Retirement "Visa" (extension).

If you're in Chiang Mai, the BKK Bank inside Kad Suan Keow is a favourite with expats, and the staff at the international desk all speak excellent English.

When I asked for Internet banking at Bangkok Bank a few years ago I was told I could not qualify because I had no work permit. I completed the application anyway and put a note at the bottom that I would withdraw all my money and go to a different bank if they did not grant my request. A few days later I received a temporary password in the mail and I had Internet bamking.

No ,bangkok bank open account without work permit . Visit their site it's clearly stated . You have to give passport, a second proof of identity ( your driver license of your country ) and a proof of adress in thailand ( lease agreement ) ...and you can have internet banking. I opened an account like that...the staff was friendly and i show them on their website the papers needed . No problem

No ,bangkok bank open account without work permit ???

sorry not accurate info

• Like 1

sorry not accurate info

for Bkk Bank no Visa required, even on 30 day stamp you get a account + internetbanking,

• Like 2

I was able to open a BB account with internet access with only a 1 month visa exempt stamp. What I did was, I got a government official from my wife's village to come and sign for me(I paid him for his time). You can get a lawyer, a teacher etc. anyone in a prominent position to sign for you. So if they refuse you because you don't have a work permit then just get some Thai in a respected position to come in with you and sign. It's very easy to do...swing a cat in any residential area and you are bound to hit a teacher or 2.

As several other posters have already said, it really does seem to be down to the people at your branch.

I've had a Bangkok Bank account for years and tried to set up internet banking through the atm. I got halfway into the process and then got a message saying I couldn't complete the process and should go to my branch.

I went to my branch and explained the problem, they assured me it could be done through the atm and took me outside to take me through the process.

After three goes, each of which halted at the same point as when I tried it myself, they gave me my card back and said I couldn't have internet banking because I wasn't Thai (I deliberately avoided using the 'f' word).

I tried going to the main branch and they told me internet banking was available to me (I was on a 30 day exempt) but as a non-Thai I had to go to my branch and get it set up manually by the manager.

I asked if they could possibly write a note in Thai explaining the procedure which I could take with me, got a smile and a shake of the head.

• Like 1

I only had a 30 day visa & I opened up a bank account straight away with Bangkok Bank, Pattaya City Branch. With Internet banking with Bangkok Bank is that you have to wait 2 weeks for them to email you a username & another 3 weeks for them to post an Internet banking password to you. This was my experience. I hope you have better luck than me. Most other banks in Thailand require you to have a 1 year visa, but not Bangkok Bank. Just take in your passport & all the other Id you can find & be prepared to sign a lot of paper work.

Best to get it all done the same day or following day. Best to open your account (preferibly the first acct) in a foreigner-friendly branch of the bank; dont worry about the province. Get the internet banking setup. Subsequent accts *should* be a tad easier to open. But more importantly, you just add the new acct to internet banking access. Takes about 5 days to add any additional acct. But one login can manage multiple accts. Make sure all accts you want on internet banking are setup before you leave.

You dont need an atm card on all accts. But the first one that you attempt internet access should have atm card; easier to setup alerts, internet access, etc that way.

Edit

.....I asked if they could possibly write a note in Thai explaining the procedure which I could take with me, got a smile and a shake of the head.

Did you ever get that sorted? A copy of that note

And i remember the bkb employee doing something on their system; Then taking me to atm to initiate internet banking. The receipt prints out username/ temp password. It might be a bit different now.

Edited by 4evermaat

gerry123, on 03 Nov 2014 - 09:34, said:gerry123, on 03 Nov 2014 - 09:34, said:
motyduke, on 02 Nov 2014 - 23:16, said:motyduke, on 02 Nov 2014 - 23:16, said:

sorry not accurate info

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/PERSONALBANKING/SPECIALSERVICES/FOREIGNCUSTOMERS/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

Staying for a longer time?

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

To find out more, please see below.

A savings account can be opened even on a Tourist Visa and gives you a debit card but not a cheque book.

For a cheque account, then you need either a Work permit, permanent residency, extension of stay, or long term Visa.

Online banking is offered even on Savings accounts with a long term Visa, PR, WP, or extension of stay.

Edited by Faz

Hi,

I got internet banking at Bangkok Bank with my long-stay, extendable visa based on retirement (did I get that right?). This requires annual extension.

I chose BKK Bank was because I can do free ACH transfers (bank to bank) in the USA at no charge. It's worth the hassle. Also, savings accounts in THB yield more here.

That said, it was a pain: the manager on Rama IV was unprofessional, and didn't seem to know what the internet was, so went to Silom. Better, but still a lot of runaround and time-wasting. Now, in Chiang Mai, they won't transfer my account up here - they'll charge me to open an entirely new account. YES, branches have lots of autonomy in Thailand.

• Like 1

I was in the purple bank (forgot the name) on soi 11 with my girlfriend who has been banking with them for years. I wanted to open an account with 100000 baht cash. They refused me because of work permit.

I will try the other banks mentioned here today.

I have also since then got my school sorted out for a 1 year course paid them 39k baht and awaiting my letter from minister of education to take to Lao for my 1 year visa /extension of stay

I was able to get Internet banking at BY at the Headquarters building on Silom Rd with just a 30 day entry stamp on my passport. To show residency since i stay at hotels and move around the country like a normal tourist, I had a local friend add me to his lease as a roommate, but the lady at the bank said my name needed to be first name on the lease.

Then she decided that a secured 500 bhat debit card would do the trick, but we needed to wait until the card & pin # were mailed to my friends residence, which actually didn't happen until my next 30 day trip to the country.

One thing I found out that even different people at the same branch had different ideas about what the bank policy was, even showing them printouts of the English version of the bank's Web page on this matter. I started the process with what appeared to be an older & more senior Assistant Branch Mgr, and the times that I visited and she was not at her desk, but younger junior Asst. Mgr were, they told me what I was doing was impossible and that I should give up mid stream (the loosing face thing for these younger people). But I persisted, and when I eventually did find the original lady, I made a point to get her business card, so on future trips back, if she was not on the Customer Service Ctr, I would request her in person to assist me.

Be aware, she told me that the Internet banking wouldn't work outside Thailand as some functions that you might do will require a One Time pass code to be sent to your Thai phone number text message. Fortunately, I was able to my Thai phone & SIM card to work back in USA, at least for the purpose of receiving text messages from Thailand.

sorry not accurate info

Sorry but you can open bank account with bangkok bank without work permit ( i did without work permit ).....and if you pay a fee you have inetrnet banking without problem ( i did it too ). The info was accurate because of the papers needed and stated in the website . If staff don't know , show us their website ( that' s what idid ) and they accpet very well. I did it not in a mall....in a street near Punawhitti...i think i am their first faranh customer maybe and they welcome me very well each time . They want customers i can assure !

Not difficult really. Use your ATM card in any Bangkok bank ATM and select "other services" Select Bualuang i banking and click, It will ask you for your PIN number again, then press complete. The machine will issue you a user account number, which you will need later. Close the ATM and go to the Bangkok Bank website when you get home and go to Bualuang i banking. Log on using your number on the ATM slip and it will ask you to choose a password. After this big wheels will turn and smaller wheels will go even faster while they access you banking details. If your banking details meet the criteria, your account for internet banking will be approved. I went through the exercise on Friday as I am going overseas shortly.

Completely painless, and no need to go near a bank!