Volvo C70 Convertible

teej

Hi, does anybody own or know somebody who owns a Volvo C70 Convertible (not the new ones, but the soft top version just before the new hard top version)?

I know Terdsak doesn't think highly of Volvos, but opinions aside, I'd just like to know if anybody knows anybody who has one of these. I'm thinking about buying one, and would just like to know about Volvo service, etc. (whether Volvo Thailand is good or not, experiences, etc.)...

Thanks

Jack Sheppard, the Lawyer in the book "The Big Mango" and others drives one of them.

He always says in every book that he feels stupid driving in Bangkok traffic with the top down..and does not really know why he brought one.

For me though, I love convertibles, nothing like that "Wind in your hair" feeling...well it would be if I had any!!!

Must admit I've a hankering for a BMW Z4 at the moment, but they are a bit pricey at 3.75m second hand..but absolutley stunning looks and performance.

Hehe I've seen that "Compatible"... it's on ChangWattana. Well they write that it's a 2004, but when I talked to the guy there he said 2002, but I'm almost sure that it's a late 90's cuz of the two-tone leather... then again, USA specs might have been different... I'd have to check the VIN or Volvo Thailand for that car. It's been at that 'tent' for ages.... Very pretty tho (although red would not be my choice).... 19" wheels and lowered suspension and it would be a lot prettier...

Problem is that they advertise as 2.5L.. I don't think the C70 ever had a 2.5L engine, only a 2.3FullPressureTurbo and a 2.4 LPT.

Either way, all things seem fishy over there... plus if it's not the 2.3FPT then it'll be no fun to drive, i think the LPT only cranks out less than 200hp as opposed to almost 240 for the FPT. Ugraded ECU, intercooler, intake and exhaust and you could get 300 out of the thing... I'd buy it then.

Hehe I've seen that "Compatible"... it's on ChangWattana. Well they write that it's a 2004, but when I talked to the guy there he said 2002, but I'm almost sure that it's a late 90's cuz of the two-tone leather... then again, USA specs might have been different... I'd have to check the VIN or Volvo Thailand for that car. It's been at that 'tent' for ages.... Very pretty tho (although red would not be my choice).... 19" wheels and lowered suspension and it would be a lot prettier...

Problem is that they advertise as 2.5L.. I don't think the C70 ever had a 2.5L engine, only a 2.3FullPressureTurbo and a 2.4 LPT.

Either way, all things seem fishy over there... plus if it's not the 2.3FPT then it'll be no fun to drive, i think the LPT only cranks out less than 200hp as opposed to almost 240 for the FPT. Ugraded ECU, intercooler, intake and exhaust and you could get 300 out of the thing... I'd buy it then.

:D Saabs, Volvos, any old engine will do..... :o:D

No experience of the soft top but, a couple of thousand miles in the hard. Top motor all round for me, reasonable residuals too.

New Volvos are a cut above they're old image but, still haven't quite got rid of it.

redrus

• 2 years later...
Anyone have any idea of the pricing of the new C70? Debating between that and the Z4 or SLK at the moment but the Volvo showroom in Phuket doesn't have any info on it and Volvo in BKK never answer emails.

From Volvo's own price list:

C70 2.4i

Cylinders/Valves: 5/20

Engine: Benzene

Displacement: 2435

Max Power (hp/rpm): 170/6000

Top Speed (km/h): 215

Retail Price (baht): 4,299,000

Extras:

Volvo Maintenance: 5 years or 100,000km

Volvo Assistance: 3 years

Volvo Warranty: 3 years or 100,000km

As a Volvo fan and former C70 owner, I can say that you should stay away from the first generation C70 convertibles like the plague. I have no experience with the new ones. If you look on wikipedia for information on the car you will see they have a huge shudder problem, along with the usual run of electrical problems that model has. The 1.9mill they want for it is ridiculous, but someone more concerned with how they look in it will buy it, it is a handsome ride ...lol... The C70 Coupe was the pick of the litter there, have not seen one here as yet.

I think the Z4 and the SLK are good choices, but not comparable to the C70, they are sports cars, where as the C70 is a sporty styled luxury cruiser, it just happens they are all convertible but the C70 was only also available in a convertible. S70, V70, C70.

Oz

post-54765-1218780888_thumb.jpg

Why did someone post a price list 2 YEARS after the OP asked for it??

Im guessing the OP has worn out a few pairs of shoes in the meantime!

Doh! Cheers Moonfruit, didn't look at the date, maybe the OP has one already!

Though it wasn't the OP I replied to, it was Colonel Mustard, with the wrench in the garage...

T

[Must remember to check the dates on posts..]

Edited by Thairish