British Tourist reunited with money and passport at Pattaya Police Station

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week it was Russians (?) in a baht bus, wandering around Pattaya with thousands of whatever in a bag which they leave on the seat of the baht bus. Today, it's a Brit, here for the first time.

They certainly make 'good news' stories for the authorities.

All I want to know is how people can be so dumb carrying around so much cash and conveniently leaving it, in a small bag on seats, whilst at the same time remembering to collect the suitcase etc.

Also, how the 'victims' manage to turn up at the cop shop at the same time as the finders.

Lastly, I don't travel much via swampy, but I do remember that at Don Muang years ago, there used to be a sign saying you would be refused entry into the kingdom if you were not properly attired. Does that still apply?

The reason I ask this is that the guy in the OP appears not to comply with that. Unless of course, he checked into his room, had a shower and change before deciding to go to the cop shop. (but he would have needed his passport at the hotel reception)

Sorry to appear slightly cynical but if next week an unfortunate Aussie or American has his 'day' in the police station, then I will begin to wonder.

In the meantime, if these two reports are absolutely accurate, then I salute the Thai baht bus and taxi driver.

I guess it's a sign of the times here that leads me not to believe everything in the papers being what they are.

Dressing have nothing to do with Quality tourists !!

He had for his first bar trip already prepaired 1.000,- pounds !

Thats very good for the first night !!

First ever trip to Thailand and already wearing the correct Pattaya Explorer Outfit, must have mail-ordered in advance.thumbsup.gif

What about the overweight and tattoos bit, you don't get them mail ordered.

Quality wealthy tourists usually owerwighted !

Even Paris H. ; Rihanna; a.s.o. have tatoos ;

My experience in Thailand has been much the same - the vast majority of Thais I have encountered have been lovely, kind, honest. Reading this forum I often wonder what triggers the negative experiences detailed here. Couldn't have anything to do with the attitudes of entitled Farang, I'm sure ;)

Yes totally agree with you, but I'm afraid some people wouldn't be happy if they had nothing to winge about.

• Like 1

My experience in Thailand has been much the same - the vast majority of Thais I have encountered have been lovely, kind, honest. Reading this forum I often wonder what triggers the negative experiences detailed here. Couldn't have anything to do with the attitudes of entitled Farang, I'm sure wink.png

I agree with you 100%. Nice to hear someone that is not all ate up with hate and sarcasm.

• Like 1

Last week it was Russians (?) in a baht bus, wandering around Pattaya with thousands of whatever in a bag which they leave on the seat of the baht bus. Today, it's a Brit, here for the first time.

They certainly make 'good news' stories for the authorities.

All I want to know is how people can be so dumb carrying around so much cash and conveniently leaving it, in a small bag on seats, whilst at the same time remembering to collect the suitcase etc.

Also, how the 'victims' manage to turn up at the cop shop at the same time as the finders.

Lastly, I don't travel much via swampy, but I do remember that at Don Muang years ago, there used to be a sign saying you would be refused entry into the kingdom if you were not properly attired. Does that still apply?

The reason I ask this is that the guy in the OP appears not to comply with that. Unless of course, he checked into his room, had a shower and change before deciding to go to the cop shop. (but he would have needed his passport at the hotel reception)

Sorry to appear slightly cynical but if next week an unfortunate Aussie or American has his 'day' in the police station, then I will begin to wonder.

In the meantime, if these two reports are absolutely accurate, then I salute the Thai baht bus and taxi driver.

I guess it's a sign of the times here that leads me not to believe everything in the papers being what they are.

I think part of the problem these days is that using an ATM card to withdraw money is just so expensive. The whole point of ATM card made it unnecessary to carry cash and in the old days I could use my Nationwide ATM card at zero cost apart from exchange rates. These days I pay is it 150 baht or is it more now this end plus a charge from Nationwide which last time I looked was 2% plus one pound. I am sure all other banks are much the same. So these days its back to cash again with all the attendant risks.

My mobile phone came out of my pocket in a taxi on the way to the airport. I was on my way to Vietnam to see my wife, girlfriend at the time, and just wrote it off.

The following morning we were sat having coffee and my wife was quite surprised to get a call from me, it was the taxi driver calling the last number used.

I got the phone back when I returned to Thailand.

• Like 1

After many decades in Bangkok and almost another here in Pattaya, I have many, many, such positive stories.

This type of story just doesn't make the news as often as the scurrilous and negative stories tend to.

Pity, but it is a fact of life that negatives things gets the most attention.

After many decades in Bangkok and almost another here in Pattaya, I have many, many, such positive stories.

This type of story just doesn't make the news as often as the scurrilous and negative stories tend to.

Pity, but it is a fact of life that negatives things gets the most attention.

You have a point there of course.

I think we will see plenty more 'good news' stories over the next few months as it's part of the strategy of this 'government".

That's fine, but also I hope they (the press) maintain a 'balance' of stories and we are not just fed a diet of the good news variety.

My experience in Thailand has been much the same - the vast majority of Thais I have encountered have been lovely, kind, honest. Reading this forum I often wonder what triggers the negative experiences detailed here. Couldn't have anything to do with the attitudes of entitled Farang, I'm sure wink.png

Have you ever rented a house and asked for the deposit back. One way or the other an excuse will often be made why the deposit can not be repaid. In this regards have you ever tried to get a refund for anything in Thailand and got one . I think there are positives here or I would not live here but these two which are really part of the same concept really annoy me. Also have you ever lent money and been paid back?

Nice with a story showing there is an other side of Thailand: honest people living and working here.

So true, I've been coming here for 5 years now. Yes there is corruption but I find most Thai's are honest and helpful individuals and I'm proud to call many of them my friends.

For the most part Thai cab driver have been good in what I seen Only found only one low life cab driver tried to sell me some pot and and under age girl told him to piss off. I'm not no angel but not that stupid to buy drugs and underage girls I got daughters If he had one I might have end up in prison cause I might of snapped his neck Hate perverts.

Funny you mention the deposit after arriving to my rental home for another season Miss dodgy decides to suddenly raise the rent i refused but agreed 1000 baht more for this one month would be ok since i now plan to leave early. Now two weeks later she suddenly wants a deposit. The answer was NO! As far as leading money i have and have always got it back maybe not on time. I would not lend money to anyone in America. Getting back to the British tourist he just looks like a typical brainless idiot that arrives here by the thousands. Guess he was so busy thinking about booze and dodgy bar girls he never thought about perhaps a money belt. My hunch is his misadventures will continue. He got damn lucky. Having said that i have had far more good experiences than bad but then again i totally avoid the tourists traps far less problems because yes there are many entitled rude obnoxious foreigners here.

Have you ever rented a house and asked for the deposit back. One way or the other an excuse will often be made why the deposit can not be repaid. In this regards have you ever tried to get a refund for anything in Thailand and got one . I think there are positives here or I would not live here but these two which are really part of the same concept really annoy me. Also have you ever lent money and been paid back?

I don't suppose the police maintain an online list of found items, what happens to things not claimed?

My Mrs left my sons new pram in the boot of a taxi recently, no such luck as this guy and that driver new where we lived.

If not, assuming they could apply a little bit of common sense in claim credibility checking it could generate some good tourist and publicity Kudos.

The basket of small found items at Soi 9 police station has dozens of passports, credit cards, wallets (empty), small bags etc.

Reasonable proof of ownership is needed but if you have lost such an item, it is a good place to start looking.

You need to ask the lady at the reception desk just inside the door to the left.

But, no, there is no on-line list .....

I moved house 3 weeks ago - met the landlady at the condo, let her inspect the condition and was given my entire deposit back.

you got damn lucky. the one i have is super dodgy. moving out after the first month. wonder why her ten buildings sit empty most of the year. can,t wait to see the bank take everything back! wish i could post the name so others could avoid her.

I moved house 3 weeks ago - met the landlady at the condo, let her inspect the condition and was given my entire deposit back.

"Khun Kumsin aged 49, an AOT Taxi Driver, based at the Airport in Bangkok, took Mr. David Pennington, from Hillingdon in UK, to Pattaya but after he had dropped him off at his Hotel and began his return journey to Bangkok, the driver realized a bag had been left on the back seat of the Taxi."

Had to read that twice and remember it is Thaiglish not English. and he did not pick up his fare in Hillingdon.

I've never really had any problems with theft no more than anywhere else in the world and have generally found the Thais quiet helpful and nice. But I've never been shaken down by the Police or been asked for tea money either, in fact my experience of the RTP has generally been positive and less heavy handed than say the MET in London who seem to over react to anyone and everything.

Do people really have all these issues or are they making it up?

Agree - and they beat the LAPD hands down, as they are actually polite and respectful when they talk to me here as opposed to the uniformed thugs on the streets of Los Angeles.

I've never really had any problems with theft no more than anywhere else in the world and have generally found the Thais quiet helpful and nice. But I've never been shaken down by the Police or been asked for tea money either, in fact my experience of the RTP has generally been positive and less heavy handed than say the MET in London who seem to over react to anyone and everything.

Do people really have all these issues or are they making it up?