Bangkok: Bribe-taking investigation following a pub raid

webfact

Bribe-taking investigation following a pub raid

11-2-2014-9-55-45-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An investigation has been ordered by the national police chief, Pol Gen Somyos Poompanmuang, into alleged bribe taking by police from several units from a wellknown pub on Srinagarind road.

The pub, Rider and KumPhra Ram, was raided by police Saturday night after a tip off that the night entertainment venue also provided prostitution services to clients. Police seized narcotics drugs and found several young women in the pub.

A notebook showing the names of several police units and amounts of money thought to be bribes or protection fees was also found by the policemen.

Pol Lt-Gen Prawuth Thavornsiri, the police spokesman, said that the investigation was intended to find out whether bribes or protection fees had actually been paid to the police units as shown in the notebook.

Two police teams have been formed to carry out the probe – one from Metropolitan Police Bureau and the other from the police inspector-general’s office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bribe-taking-investigation-following-pub-raid/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-03

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police chief orders probe into bribery scandal over Srinakarin resort
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The national police chief has ordered a probe into an allegation that local and central police were taking kickbacks from a resort on Srinakarin Road, Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt General Prawut Thavornsiri said yesterday.

They found the Rider Resort operated a restaurant, massage parlour and resort as "front businesses" plus a prostitution ring behind the scenes with 10 Thai women and two foreign women.

Illegal drugs - six tablets of "ice" and five packs of marijuana - were also found at the scene, Prawut said.

According to Prawet Police Station's deputy superintendent, Lt Colonel Padet Phubupphakarn, one of the officers accused of taking bribes holds the rank of police lieutenant colonel but does not work at the Prawet station now. "I am looking into the case and will report the progress to my supervisor," he said.

Amarin Puangchinda, 39, told police he was the resort's manager, police spokesman Prawut said.

Images of documents, which recorded monthly payments paid by the resort to a local police station and several central police units, have gone viral on social media.

Prawut said the national police chief had received reports about the payment of bribes but had not yet seen the actual documents. He said any police found to be involved in receiving kickbacks would face disciplinary and criminal action.

He said in other cases records of bribes were mostly written by hand but in this case it was typed on paper with the official stamp of the venue.

Two local police officers whose names appeared on the paper have been transferred out of the jurisdiction.

Police would track down owners of the resort, who would face charges of running an entertainment business without a licence, procuring women for prostitution, harbouring illegal aliens, possessing illegal drugs and extending a building without permission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-chief-orders-probe-into-bribery-scandal-ove-30246807.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-03

Police chief orders probe into bribery scandal over Srinakarin resort

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The national police chief has ordered a probe into an allegation that local and central police were taking kickbacks from a resort on Srinakarin Road, Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt General Prawut Thavornsiri said yesterday.

They found the Rider Resort operated a restaurant, massage parlour and resort as "front businesses" plus a prostitution ring behind the scenes with 10 Thai women and two foreign women.

Illegal drugs - six tablets of "ice" and five packs of marijuana - were also found at the scene, Prawut said.

According to Prawet Police Station's deputy superintendent, Lt Colonel Padet Phubupphakarn, one of the officers accused of taking bribes holds the rank of police lieutenant colonel but does not work at the Prawet station now. "I am looking into the case and will report the progress to my supervisor," he said.

Amarin Puangchinda, 39, told police he was the resort's manager, police spokesman Prawut said.

Images of documents, which recorded monthly payments paid by the resort to a local police station and several central police units, have gone viral on social media.

Prawut said the national police chief had received reports about the payment of bribes but had not yet seen the actual documents. He said any police found to be involved in receiving kickbacks would face disciplinary and criminal action.

He said in other cases records of bribes were mostly written by hand but in this case it was typed on paper with the official stamp of the venue.

Two local police officers whose names appeared on the paper have been transferred out of the jurisdiction.

Police would track down owners of the resort, who would face charges of running an entertainment business without a licence, procuring women for prostitution, harbouring illegal aliens, possessing illegal drugs and extending a building without permission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-chief-orders-probe-into-bribery-scandal-ove-30246807.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-11-03

I could tell the authoriies that under the illegal lottery system in whole Thailand are every month millions changing the hands! But probably they know this aswell since ever. I mean some honest police until now under threat of ....! Imagine.

• Like 1

Is anyone the slightest bit surprised. One down (maybe) hundreds of thousands to go.

Isn't that the truth. I would hate to see them charging the business owners for doing this since this has been the accepted business model in Thailand forever. If businesses did not pay, then bad things would happen otherwise so in essence they are victims.

The owner of the bar appears to have made a significant investment in his licensing process with representatives of the RTP. But as is often the case he was probably unaware of the new sheriff in town and his collectors.

Probably the last we here of this case, owner will pay his fine in court, license suspended for a month or two. Then back to business as usual, maybe under new management.

Illegal drugs - six tablets of "ice" and five packs of marijuana - were also found at the scene

Still, despite those factors, based on reviews by people who stayed there on Agoda, the establishment manages to rate overall above average. thumbsup.gif

Not despite, but because of those factors, the establisment manages to rate above average!!

Why do I have a feeling, that many posters will be walking their dog in that neighbourhood tonight??whistling.gif

I don't think that many of the readers see the significance of this. Instead of sweeping it under the already lumpy carpet, they are actually investigating what has been happening.

Without being too optimistic, for me anyway, it is a step in the right direction. There will be quite a few people panicking about this.

Get rid of the inactive posts and enforce the full force of the law, they might be on the path to making a difference.......................rolleyes.gif

Yes, but...reading that "someone" posted images of bribery evidence online makes me think that was what prompted the investigation, not that the evidence was found but that it was published. Now the next question: who has access to evidence and would post it on the internet? Got to be a vigilante BiB!

• Like 2

Two local police officers whose names appeared on the paper have been transferred out of the jurisdiction around the corner. The police officer who reported the findings has since been fired.

"The police officer who reported the findings has since been fired."

You sure about that nonsense?

The Resort is near my house and is behind Seacon Square. Been there with my family for meals and entertainment up to a year ago and never seen any prostitution. Must have been something new to make some money due to the the military crackdown affecting their tourist trade and therefore profits. Can't say I blame them. Story is that the Army got the tip off, they have been visiting the moo bahns around here asking for information on illegal activities and ensuring we are "Happy".

The police here openly walk from business to business collecting money for 'protection'. Every bar, restaurant..... basically if you want to do business, you pay the police or they will have you arrested on trumped up charges.

The coup has changed nothing here at all in Thailand's second biggest city.