ED VISA - Hour Requirments

Hey everyone,

I want to start a Thai course in BKK in January 2015 and have found lots of different information regarding the hour requirments of ED VISA in this forum and on the websites of language schools.

The Thai embassy in Vienna does not say anything about the number of hours required:

http://www.thaiembassy.at/images/stories/embassy/pdf/2011%20Non%20ED.pdf

The school I am interested in states that 180 hours per year (2 days with 2 hours each per week) is sufficient:

http://www.prolanguage.co.th/price-list/

Other schools state that in Bangkok 4 or even 5 days per week are required (200 hours for 6 months).facepalm.gif

http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Language_Prices

So what is actually true? I much would apreciate some help!

Thank you!

Just got this reply from Pro language:

Yes at the moment we can provide visa 1 year with 180 lessons for the same fee 23,000 baht , but the students who is available to pay for 400 lessons 46,000 baht they can do that too , there schedule would be 4 -5 days / week
Anyway , i confirm that you can still get NON - ED visa with the same schedule twice a week at the moment till we finish to change the curriculum soon.
Can I trust this Info?

Can I trust this Info?

It depends on the consulate where you apply. You have to ask them, not the school.

Notwithstanding the visa, you may have issues with getting an extension after 90 days.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Just applied at penang today and got rejected because my school said I was to study 2 days a week for 2 hours a day. Thai consulate guy told me minimum 4 days a week at 2 hours a day.

That has been reported few days ago already.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769984-last-minute-change-of-rules-in-penang-for-ed-visa

Edited by paz

The rules are changing. It seems the new requirement is 8 hours a week (2 hours a day of study).

Maybe the school hasn't updated it's informaiton yet? I would send them an e-mail.

When you apply ED visa in Penang schools must have a plan for you 5 days a week for two hours, and they also set up time like 9:00 to 11:00. The reason is att Emigration come and check if you are in school and take a picture of you, They have checked me 3 times now with my picture and one Officer from Phuket Emigration.

The rules are changing. It seems the new requirement is 8 hours a week (2 hours a day of study).

Maybe the school hasn't updated it's informaiton yet? I would send them an e-mail.

When you apply ED visa in Penang schools must have a plan for you 5 days a week for two hours, and they also set up time like 9:00 to 11:00. The reason is att Emigration come and check if you are in school and take a picture of you, They have checked me 3 times now with my picture and one Officer from Phuket Emigration.

Wow! They are really serious about this crap now eh? 3 times? I can't believe they have the resources to do this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow! They are really serious about this crap now eh? 3 times? I can't believe they have the resources to do this.

Yes they are very serious now, and when you go for stamp your 90 days you most have the rent contract + Id card from the land lord + coli off the House book (Blue Book) if you don't have that you don`t get a 90 days or 1 Year visa. + when you finish 1 year ED visa you most take a big test if you don`t past you finish (New rules in Phuket last week) The problem here in Phuket it`s 46 language schools and all are not schools (Money)

Just got this reply from Pro language:

Yes at the moment we can provide visa 1 year with 180 lessons for the same fee 23,000 baht , but the students who is available to pay for 400 lessons 46,000 baht they can do that too , there schedule would be 4 -5 days / week
Anyway , i confirm that you can still get NON - ED visa with the same schedule twice a week at the moment till we finish to change the curriculum soon.
Can I trust this Info?

I studied there before, they're very relaxed and easygoing.

Actually if you push for 20k that's the group discount or 'know someone who got that price' discount. Ask for Kat (pro language bkk), say a friend paid 20k.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Does anyone know if a departure flight is needed for ED Visa (for example after 90 days)?

If not, how do you fill out the departure card?

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have any valid visa.

The departure flight info is not required on the departure card. I have always just put my name and passport number on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Phuket Immigration they speaking to you in Thai and you most writing some ting in Thai, And fore me Immigration they come and still coming to my school and they picture off student in classroom. The school most mace a plan whits day and time you go class and give to the Immigration.

How about the hour requirements for schools in Chiang Mai?

And has anyone had immigration "testing" you on the language or checking on the school for your attendance?

It's currently 4 hours (2x2 hours) a week and as yet immigration have not checked my school although the school have taken many pictures. I have done my first extension without any testing, not sure about the next one. I talked with my teacher yesterday and she said not to worry as my Thai already passes any level of testing that has been used so far. I understand there is a minimum attendance rate although not sure what that is, I'm currently 100% and enjoy every lesson.