Malaysian carrier makes emergency landing in Thailand

webfact

Malaysian carrier makes emergency landing in Thailand
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- A Malaysia-bound Malindo Air flight diverted to Thailand and made an emergency landing on Monday after the cabin started to de-pressurise, the airline said, adding that none of the 129 people aboard was hurt.

The Malaysia-based carrier's flight OD206 from Delhi had been due to arrive in Kuala Lumpur early Monday but instead re-routed to Bangkok after the incident, which caused oxygen masks to deploy inside the plane.

"A slow decompression was detected by the pilot," said a Malindo spokesman, who suggested it may have been caused by oxygen leaking from the fuselage.

"In our case, oxygen masks were deployed as a precautionary measure according to SOP (standard operating procedure)."

The Boeing 737-900ER had 121 passengers and eight crew aboard.

The incident was still being investigated.

Malaysian aviation has endured a horrible year with flag carrier Malaysia Airlines losing two jets and 537 people.

Flight MH370 disappeared in March with 239 people aboard and is believed to have mysteriously diverted and crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, but no evidence to prove the theory has been found.

Flight MH17 came down over conflict-torn Ukraine in July, believed to have been shot down by a surface-to-air missile, killing all 298 people aboard.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-11-03

A potentially dangerous situation averted by a professional air-crew. Well done!!thumbsup.gif

Here, Here..........I agree with you.

But I don't think I will be travelling with any Malaysian airline in the future.

Costas may I recommend Olympic Airways whistling.gif

How about the latest Greek airline. ICARUS Airlines?

• Like 1

A potentially dangerous situation averted by a professional air-crew. Well done!!thumbsup.gif

But I don't think I will be travelling with any Malaysian airline in the future.

Your recommendation would be very welcome if they were still flying.

But on 29 September 2009 Olympic Airlines ceased all operations and most flights.

Also, I don't remember any accidents happening with Olympic.

Except the tragic helicopter accident that killed Onassis son, Alexandros, that we still don't know if it was an accident or not.

Do they have wax wings?

• Like 2

Had it been a slow decompression as reported then the Cabin Altitude Warning System would have activated both aural and red alert visual warnings. The pilots would have then taken immediate remedial measures to descend and the oxy masks wouldn't have deployed. This sounds more like rapid decompression followed by auto deployment of masks as designed. Anyway, glad all turned out well.

Your recommendation would be very welcome if they were still flying.

But on 29 September 2009 Olympic Airlines ceased all operations and most flights.

Also, I don't remember any accidents happening with Olympic.

Except the tragic helicopter accident that killed Onassis son, Alexandros, that we still don't know if it was an accident or not.

Olympic Airways then Olympic Air now Aegean Airways, all the same, still flying giggle.gif
29 October 1959: Crashed. 19 Killed
08 December 1969: Crashed. 90 Killed
18 February 1972: Crashed. 2 Killed
21 October 1972: Crashed. 37 Killed
23 November 1976: Crashed. 50 Killed
Plus an other 12 inncidents without fatalities
Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

Choose Phoenix Airlines and you will rise from the ashes.

• Like 1

Strange, never heard of this airline before.

"there is (in my opinion) much more to MH17 than the official story may suggest."

Someone shot it down with a surface based missile and now nobody wants to have been the culprit. What much more is there?

I have heard the silliest theories about both flights and it's just plain ridiculous some of the things people post with a straight face (and a disregard for the facts).

"there is (in my opinion) much more to MH17 than the official story may suggest."

Someone shot it down with a surface based missile and now nobody wants to have been the culprit. What much more is there?

I have heard the silliest theories about both flights and it's just plain ridiculous some of the things people post with a straight face (and a disregard for the facts).

One flight has only theories and none of them make sense

Other flight was indeed shot down but thats where the facts stop and the political bs starts, i noticed lately they have backpedaled from "putin's missile" and are now saying it came from a Ukranian base. lol

• Like 1

Indeed. Wonder how many clicks this article would of gotten if the headline read "Malindo Air"? Well, given I've also never heard of it, I may have clicked just to find out WTH country it was from. LOL.

I have travelled many times with Malaysian air carriers with no problems.

You need to read between the lines when looking at the two Malaysia Airline jets that were lost this year, neither is straightforward and there is (in my opinion) much more to MH17 than the official story may suggest.

I don't think the loss of MH370 & MH17 are reliable indicators that there is anything unsafe about Malaysian carriers per se.

I agree with your concensus. An airplane shot down at random, near Ukraine airspace at a poltical and sensitive time, and another which appears to have been 'hijacked', although no evidence. It does make one wonder about the need for Malysian Air to tigthen or re-educate its stafffing however, especially at initial point of engagement at check in through to baggage handling. Having said the latter, there have been no reports of aircraft failure, to my knowledge, for many a year.

The emergency landing, as JOC rightly pointed out, points to professional staff, esp the pilots, and an over all good end to what may have become a catastrophe.

Another spin on the two MH planes:

MH17 shot down over the Ukaraine was flying over a war zone which many other airlines choose not to fly over, bad decision making on the part of the MH management.

MH370 we don't really know what happened here. What we do know is that MH did not enable / pay for easily available tracking and remote engine management systems which would have pinpointed where the plane went down. They also totally mis-handled the post crash media storm. They also still have not released the full cargo manifest, what are they hiding?

Frankly I do not trust the MH management and look forward to the truth coming out on MH370.

Another spin on the two MH planes:

MH17 shot down over the Ukaraine was flying over a war zone which many other airlines choose not to fly over, bad decision making on the part of the MH management.

MH370 we don't really know what happened here. What we do know is that MH did not enable / pay for easily available tracking and remote engine management systems which would have pinpointed where the plane went down. They also totally mis-handled the post crash media storm. They also still have not released the full cargo manifest, what are they hiding?

Frankly I do not trust the MH management and look forward to the truth coming out on MH370.

We all look forward to the truth coming out on MH370 and MH17, but personally I think that's unlikely to happen.

Regarding MH17, it's true it was flying over a war zone however so did lots of other airlines. What you have to look at in the question of MH17 is who had the most to gain, politically, from the event. Or you can believe that someone mistook MH17 for a military aircraft, that's a version of events which I don't believe myself but I'm not trying to convince anyone else of my point of view.

There are very few concrete facts regarding MH370. Scientists at Immersat (the suppliers of the onboard satellite telephone) spent a great deal of effort determining the likely last location of MH370, but to date THAT location HAS NOT been searched. This strikes me as odd, but again I'm not trying to convince anyone. Either you have an open and enquiring mind on these matters, or you don't.