Is it just me or are Thai people not very thankful of gifts?

yzak

Chocolate always wins in my experience....what other gift is there??

Believe it or not ... MissFarmGirl has gone off the Chocolate ... w00t.gif

Took a box of Lindt Balls over ... a month later, they were still some left and 1/2 of those eaten were probably nicked by me the Farm Family.

You can solve these issues by taking some stinky blue cheese.

They won't touch anything within a foot of it...especially if you leave it open on a plate in the fridge.

Ahh those evil farang....:P

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took a box of Lindt Balls over ...

I'll bet.

Oh yee of little faith ... facepalm.gif

I actually asked her what she wanted. The reply was a couple of chunky meat pies.

Sadly, they didn't make the journey as the Farm has no oven and a pie with soggy pastry is ... bah.gif

Made it up to her. Mate of mine showed me the Thai-French Butchery in Bangkok and grabbed 400g of a nice cut, bought some Champion Mushrooms and some butter in those little containers I nicked from the Breakfast Buffet and cooked up one of her favourite dishes.

Loved it.

A rare treat at the Farm.

Next time OP don't bother with gifts.

Just give them some bank notes, preferably Baht and they will be very thankful.

I speak from own experience.

About a year ago I gave my 47-yr old gf of a few years an expensive ring for her B-day (not an engagement ring). Her initial reaction when opening the ring box was kinda subdued; tho she always likes gifts of perfume and other smaller personal things. The original ring did not fit so we returned to Bvlgari to exchange sizes. When trying on different new sizes, my gf saw the price of the ring. After selecting a correct size, we left the store and my gf's first comment was "Why didn't you give me gold instead'!! In the year she's had the ring she's never taken it off and has posted FB pics of it so I know she appreciated it. But I'll never forget her first comment of gold would have been better. Entirely different culture and perspective of gifts. "Different strokes for different folks" I guess.

• Like 1

Maybe it was stuff that Westerners like, but not very exciting to Thais. I would have been VERY grateful. Thais usually give something cheap and simple that is unique to the area that they visited.

Thais give some really awful gifts from holidays usually a key ring or a massive bag of seaweed.

• Like 1

About gifts. Maybe it is best to just give them something they can use (besides money). I worked for a rancher for a while in southern Oregon He was quite well to do, owed more than 10,000 acres, a saw mill, cattle, a shale pit. I was invited to Christmas dinner. I noticed that under his Christmas tree were mostly things like jars of honey and cases of canned vegetables. Seemed odd to me. Later that day, at home, I hear a knock on the door. There he stood holding a big steaming sheep's liver in his hands that he had just got from butchering. I big happy smile on his face with the joy of giving. I tried to except with as much joy:)

• Like 1

I give my gf´s mother calcium tablets for healthy bone structure. She likes the Chinese herbal crap or whatever so I figured if she wants to pop pills it should be something useful. She loves it and I make sure to have the gf tell her its really good stuff from Sweden, which it is but nothing fancy just cheap, plane calcium supplement. She very politely asked the gf if I could get some more and of course I will. In other instances I have also found Thais to be very grateful.

Edited by Kaalle

I hate it when u buy something for yourself or give it to someone and a thai person asks you how much it was and they tell u they could of got it cheaper for u amd u paid too much for it. Everytime i buy something for my wife she does it.

• Like 1

I hate it when u buy something for yourself or give it to someone and a thai person asks you how much it was and they tell u they could of got it cheaper for u amd u paid too much for it. Everytime i buy something for my wife she does it.

Oh brother, I know just what you are talking about !

frankly i dont understand why anyone expects something in return. you want to give a gift? give it. after that , its not yours anymore... i love giving gifts... i dont really care if i get thanked or not... i dont give gifts specifically on birthdays etc but when i see something that an oother person might like.

as for thai family, hubby always reminds me to give 100$ to each of the old folk (parents), and then we dispersed bahts of all denominations throughout our stay, to old codgers, young kids, etc... and i know that behind our backs they appreciated it... i usually jsut wei, hand it over, and then walk off to do something else, not even waiting for thanks. often if i give clothes i will see it on someone (not neccesarily the person i gave it to), which is fine.

you buy icecream for your workers, cause YOU want to. why do they have to thank you? thai workers expect their bosses to provide for them. its undestood. even in israel the employers know to give beers/whiskey after hard day or on holidays, to thai workers. they dont do that for isralei employees. (we dont have the same expectation. reversed. usually presents are for co workers or bosses).

gratitude is a waste of time. when you give in order to receive you will mostly be disappointed. my parents and other foreigners always get so upset here also when giving gifts for weddingsl etc, thank yous are nver written, nor are phone calls made. its understood that if u go to a wedding then you MUST give $$ to cover the cost of the meal, like a business deal. if you want to personalize it, lyou can also give objects/material goods as well.

also, the guy that gave his gf the baht for her parents, it would have been more appropriate had you given it to them, with a wei and and a smile, and leave it at that. much more face coming straight from you... it shows your appreciation of them as older people, parents of your gf, etc. and that you were thinking of them properly.

with wierd food items, like olives, etc., we just give the presents, then open them and start to eat them, then the kids come over to try and then the older folks, that way no one loses face about thinking its icky or whatever.

• Like 2

My wife brings home all the presents they get at work (from customers i guess). We have many bottles of olive oil now, much spirali pasta, i like it.

But what they like the most is free holidays/outings with the department, unlimited booze/food (nothing cheap though).

When i look in the big supermarkets what thai gift boxes are sold there i have no idea what's inside. Loads of small glass jars filled with something unknown. Happy i never got one of those.

Around Songkran or 31 December one can't even walk in the supermarkets, there are huge gifts on the floors all over the place, hundreds. At Chinese new year we always get a high quality fruitbox from a chinese-thai friend. They come to bring it personally. Mostly huge oranges/mandarins and other supersized fruit.

They probably think u are tight only giving them 100$. Especially if your husband has to remind u.

im a kibbutznik and my husband makes 4000 shekel a month (1300$). we borrowed to make the visit. for me and for them, 300 shekels (100$) is a lot of money and he only requested that i give them as from me and he gave them also from him (and not as together.). they know we are basically poor and appreciate that we think of them.

since to most westerners , who obviously ahve more money , that seems miserly. for us, on an incredibably tight budget (taking int o account that the two months he was on a home visit, he pays for all food, any trips/shopping/medicines etc and then when i arrive we add another mouth to feed,and we both eat and sleep issaan style on the floor in a open air shack and that he doesnt then work for two months and we still pay off all expenses and i am on a kibbutz budget) actually you havent a clue. btw 300 shekels here is seen as quite a lot of money although granted to expats perhaps it seems a pittance.

therefore, think before you send.

Just gave the waitress at a restaurant I like 2 keychains, when I left for work last time she told me she collects them. She was very happy and thanked me 2 separate times. Seems to me they don't like the gifts your giving them. Next time find out what they like then I'd they act the same stop giving gifts.

Edited by Chwooly

It is just you!

No, seriously,

Thais are" different" about receiving gifts.

In Thai culture, when you give a Thai person a gift, you should hand them the gift and leave.

Do not wait for them to open the gift and observe their reaction.

That makes them very uncomfortable.

Maybe they fear that if they do not like your gift, your feelings will be hurt? Not sure..

Since I have learned this custom and follow it, I get many warm thanks for gifts I give.

Different people...

Different culture...

Different customs...

Try it this way, it works!