Moving back up North

brownknees

My wife wants to move back to just north of Udon Thani from where we live just outside of Pattaya.We have a large plot of land and aim to build a house there (22k from udon).So can any expat living in Udon give me an idea of what there is in the way of social life (not clubbing I am 72 and a bit past that!),I know fuzzy kens place and that's it but there must be more than that?Do they show movies there in English or are they all dubbed?My wife has convinced herself the climate is cooler!!From what I can remember when we did live there in 2000 it was cooler in dec/jan/feb and after that same same !Any advice appreciated.

Although I live in the sticks, I would join the previous post.

Moving for better/cooler wheather is not a sufficient reasoning.

Udon city is not that much boring, but you live 22 km outside.

Do you have a car? Can you drive on your own?

Looks like your wife has some selfish reasons to persuade you.

Is it her "homeplace"? Family close by?

She wants "her house" for familiy/kids?

In this case you could have a lot of headaches and lost money.

Hope you don't have hard decisions to take!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes I drive and I am not really a "night" person any more!I just like a few beers and "good "conversation so as long as I can find a few farang neighbors of the same ilk I will be ok!I read a lot and fuzzy kens will probably see a lot of me!

As for Pattaya ,well the traffic is awful and will not get better and crime is as bad as ever .we have a condo in Jomtein so it will not be a 100%split and flying down tpo pattaya is easy from Udon.The city is just about to start major road works on Sukhumit between Pattaya north and central to put in a tunnel!!No idea how long this will take but another reason to avoid the place!

Now I need to find a good builder as a precondition of moving was that the new house will be built to my spec!!!

That sounds plausible.

Just wanted to check whether you are one of the naive newbies biggrin.png

The same reasons keep me away from moving/living in Pattaya.

The logistic advantages for farangs are undisputable, but can not outweigh this chaotic mess and crime and it will not become any better.

Udon has the best flight connections of all Isan cities.

If you take the drive to the city you will find misc. expat spots.

Of course I can not tell about your neighbourhood, you would have to look around on your own.

Farang shopping in Udon is also very good.

Not only the big places, but also bakers, butchers etc. if you care for.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Agree and I have already moved from Pattaya to Udon - after 15 years in Pattaya- a couple of years ago. I live just the other side of the ring road near Big Wing but agree with what Khunbenq said, everything you want is here BUT I cannot hand on heart recommend a builder as mine was rubbish ...

I did live up there when I first came to live(between jobs!)inThailand and we stayed in a cousins house sleeping communal style on the floor!Then we bought what appeared to be an old buffalo barn and lived in that for a while until I went to work in Egypt and my wife had a typical thai style village house built!We didnt stay long and moved to Pattaya.

Where I went wrong was not realizing at that time that it was just a bus ride from Udon and soon all sorts of village folk turned up looking for jobs and my wife helped them out of course!So after 14 years we are going back but now I have a grasp of what living near the village will entail and it wont involve any more handouts !!!All the family have prospered as a result of me being there except the usual two brothers who produced children and thought we should bring them up 1It will be a new existence for me and I hope a rewarding one!

I live between Udorn and Loei and would recommend you consider TrueVisions for your TV.

We have the gold package and there is plenty of available viewing in movies, drama, reality and sports to watch Two set top boxes costs us less that 2,200 baht monthly.

My internet is TOT and costs 450 monthly on a land line. Generally reliable.

Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

I recognise though that it must be an unbearable strain when there is a huge and unbridgeable gap between the expectations within a family of your resources and reality. I recognise also that the out and out loafer/spongers are a real pain. Luckily for me my wife has no truck with that sort and has run the main culprit out of the parental family home.

Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted. I agree that "helping" the family out is a real balancing act. In my family I fixed up the MIL's house, give her a bit of money every month and pay her electrical bill. In return she deflects most of the other requests that come our way. She also helps us out with child care and managing our land. If there is a death, birth, injury, illness or other issue that comes up I often get asked to contribute but usually it is a small sum and I often get much of my money back if there is a collection.

It can be tough to find that middle road between being a tightwad or a walking ATM but once you find it, your marital and out-law relations will go much smoother. Everything I have contributed has been greatly appreciated and it has also (surprisingly) given me a voice in family matters.

I will grant though that my approach only works then the wife's family are at least somewhat reasonable and I know some guys have the misfortune to marry into problem families where this is not the case.

Let's see if got this right.

Op has nice condominium (probably in his name), just outside of Pattaya. Hardly a crime-infested area. Could basically lead a peaceful, worryfree life. But no:

- Wife has discovered that the climate is better in Udon.

- OP has discovered that "WE" own a large plot of land. (WE is the wife and the family).

- OP is not even considering going into a rental-situation in the future neighborhood for a limited period of time , to assess the situation as far as geographical surroundings, infrastructure suitable for a Farang and of course the climate is concerned. Not to speak of what kind of Family-Members he will be blessed with in the future.

Instead of bothering with such trivial things as mentioned above, OP is already crying out for a "good contractor" to build a house !!!!!!!!

" With age comes wisdom". Seems to me, that Thais "wise-up" faster than Farangs.

Cheers.

• Like 2

How far to the hospital? (22Km is a long way if you have a medical emergency)

Are you happy in the company of village Thais? (there will be no English speakers in the locality)

Can you speak the Thai dialect of that village? (cos they ain't gonna speak in any other language)

Is there even internet?

Moving from a modern city with all the comforts of your homeland to a rural Thai village is a big step for someone your age.

Why not let her wait till you're gone?

PS

I own a farm in a similar shit-hole.

Never in a million years would I move there.

And I speak the village language (but 50 years out of date).

PPS

In summer it's hot as hell and twice as humid.

In rainy season, you can't even drive down the mud road.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

In your situation I would consider a six month rental of a house in or near Udon town, defraying the cost if necessary by renting out your Jomtien condo.

Your wife should be happy to be nearer her family.

You will be closer to the local amenities.

You're not making an irreversible financial commitment until you're sure you will enjoy life up here.

Some local info:

3 cinemas in Udon, only the one in Central shows undubbed movies. Not very often, though.

Golf, chess and bridge are played regularly.There is a local pool league with quite a few players in their 70's (or maybe they've just led hard lives).

Several decent places to eat around town.

2 local internet forums where you can practise your keyboard warrior skills.

22km from Udon sounds nice, you'll be in the countryside but with a decent sized city only a 15-20 min drive away.

Udon will have all the amenities you need/want, so western food, shopping malls, English movies, Farang bars and even a skating rink.

You likely also have a hospital in the local Amphur town, which I assume won't be too far away?

If you were there in 2000, you and your wife are likely pretty solid together after 14 years, and probably have already established the way of things with the family/neighbours, so you likely already know what to expect.

Also yes, Dec-Feb is cooler, Mar-May is probably hotter though.

The air is cleaner, people nicer, and less crime. If you do not like bars...Pattaya is not the place to be....

22 Miles puts you half way to Nong Khai. You have a good selection of places to go.

I doubt you will miss the Pattaya beach very much. Udon has a few excellent shopping areas, a small "farang street": and an excellent immigration office, airport and train station.

Actually, with the convenience that Udon Airport offers, you can fly to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi whenever you like....with no hassle.

Edited by slipperylobster