Android TV, sold in Fortune and Panthip, does it work?

forumuser10

Went to Fortune town the other day. Found something called Android tv box, the seller claimed it uses wifi and by downloading apps from apps store, one can be allowed to stream TV from the US and Europe for free, does this really work?

Anyone has any experience with these kinds of boxes?

The price was around 2600 thb.

I am using one of the latest models with a heap of extras like three usb ports, SD card reader and a hard drive connector.

It has Wi Fi and a LAN connector.

I am using it on channels worldwide. The quality depends on your Internet provider. German channels live come a bit unclear, whereas Asian channels are far better.

On the third. floor at Pantip its a corner shop called Digi Life. The salesman will set up the Apps that you will need.

I bought the latest model for 3990 BT. They have offers from 1990 BT onwards for the older models.

I hope this information helps.

post-175275-0-31391200-1415111795_thumb.

One of the best gadgets I have bought, I have signed up to https://secure.ilikehd.com/heimdall-GUI/login.php

350 p/month for a whole bunch of channels from all over the world including thai/english with subtitles and various movie, sports channels etc

Sign up for the monthly package and go to the website on your andrioid box and away you go stream anything

Download XBMC for free and install it on your PC; does the same thing.

Or even better, install XBMC/Kodi on the Android TV Box, control it via remote-control or Yatse.

Absolutely silent, much less power consumption than a PC and most of your videos will be played more smooth, because of Androids Hardware acceleration.

The newer Amlogic boxes also support 4K video and the h265 codec....try this with a PC.

And not to forget, these boxes are highly movable.

Two more views of what I use.

Is it a "himedia q5x"?

What Android Version is running?

Download XBMC for free and install it on your PC; does the same thing.

Or even better, install XBMC/Kodi on the Android TV Box, control it via remote-control or Yatse.

Absolutely silent, much less power consumption than a PC and most of your videos will be played more smooth, because of Androids Hardware acceleration.

The newer Amlogic boxes also support 4K video and the h265 codec....try this with a PC.

And not to forget, these boxes are highly movable.

Two more views of what I use.

Is it a "himedia q5x"?

What Android Version is running?

You can run any version you want. There's more than one image on Android.. its not windows.

One of the best gadgets I have bought, I have signed up to https://secure.ilikehd.com/heimdall-GUI/login.php

350 p/month for a whole bunch of channels from all over the world including thai/english with subtitles and various movie, sports channels etc

Sign up for the monthly package and go to the website on your andrioid box and away you go stream anything

English is 350. Doesn't include Thai... unless you mean the free channels which are on FTA.

I bought the Minix X7 and love it. Channels are hit or miss, but for thinks like Discovery Channel, CNN, BBC, etc. it is GREAT!!!

Just have a good internet connection, the faster the better.

And I think they have an X8 model out now as well.

Bought it at Pantip, I think the 3rd floor.

You can run any version you want. There's more than one image on Android.. its not windows.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.

@ sarathjay: If it's possible, could you post a screenshot from settings --> about phone?

I am interested about the specs.

thanks

I bought the Minix X7 ..

And I think they have an X8 model out now as well.

I have a Tronsmart with Amlogic S802 (identical specs to the Minix X8).

Bought it recently from Lazada for 2990 Baht, but has an inferior build quality, compared to the Minix!

Otherwise a decent device, XBMC/Kodi's user-interface is running as smooth as on my PC.

Also well supported by the community (freaktab.com).

Edited by Turkleton

Check out ROKU, Not Android but will suit your needs I think. Anything these boxes do can pretty much be done on your computer. It is just easier to do with the box and makes it more like using normal TV

hi,

i myself bought in my country, Holland, the G box, xbmc

I am very happy with it.

But since i am in Thailand the thing doesnt work properly.

Every time i load a movie it falter or doesnt even start.

many times i get a screen they cannot find the url.

then sometimes it just suddenly starts.

maybe because the connection is not used by many people?

The Gbox is brandnew and i am sure its not the Gbox that gives me the trouble.

I use for internet, 3BB 10mb.

Any suggestions or ideas would be really welcome.

hi,

i myself bought in my country, Holland, the G box, xbmc

I am very happy with it.

But since i am in Thailand the thing doesnt work properly.

Every time i load a movie it falter or doesnt even start.

many times i get a screen they cannot find the url.

then sometimes it just suddenly starts.

maybe because the connection is not used by many people?

The Gbox is brandnew and i am sure its not the Gbox that gives me the trouble.

I use for internet, 3BB 10mb.

Any suggestions or ideas would be really welcome.

When connecting internet you need to be aware that the quoted speed is usually internal Thailand speed. If you want "fast" international speeds you need to get the Premium package with 3BB. This could explain many problems people experience with streaming services.

I am using one of the latest models with a heap of extras like three usb ports, SD card reader and a hard drive connector.

I am using it on channels worldwide. The quality depends on your Internet provider. German channels live come a bit unclear, whereas Asian channels are far better.

On the third. floor at Pantip its a corner shop called Digi Life. The salesman will set up the Apps that you will need.

I bought the latest model for 3990 BT. They have offers from 1990 BT onwards for the older models.

I just had a look on Aliexpress and what appear to be the same product are listed for US$233? Just a note of caution. The ones sold may be a less advanced version.

post-220266-0-19192100-1415168797_thumb.

Is this connected to a TV set (as with IPTV) or to a PC monitor?

( sorry the fonts have become very small and do not succeed to change them to medium or large)

It is connected to a TV. As I understands it, it becomes more like a "smart TV". That is, you can access internet, surf the web, etc with this little box.

And most importantly, and what I am interested in, watching live streamed TV from BBC, CNN, FOX, Al Jazeera, Bloomberg etc without having to pay a monthly fee as I do now, and I do not get even half of the above mentioned channels.

Yes, it does, thank you.

Do you know if you have the XBMC software installed? It seems like it is almost necessary in order for live TV (streaming) to work smoothly.

Edited by forumuser10

I've got a minix X7 which I bought in Fortune last year and it works great.

Installed XBMC and some of the addons such as Filmon, MX BBC, MX world news, FTV, USTVNow, UplayHD and some movie channels from tvaddons.ag.

You can ask whomever you buy from in Pantip or Fortune to install XBMC/KODI for you or you can have a look on You Tube for guides on installing XBMC and the fusion addon.

You can ask whomever you buy from in Pantip or Fortune to install XBMC/KODI for you or you can have a look on You Tube for guides on installing XBMC and the fusion addon.

If you need somebody to install XBMC (or even better SPMC for Android), it's not for you.

XBMC is by far the best, definitely, but you'll need some "nerdy tendencies and playfulness" to keep most of the Addons up and running. wink.png

I can't remember how many times I've edited config files or addon scripts to fix broken functionality.

Since most, if not all of the, ehhmm "interesting" addons are not officially supported, they can break from one day to the next.

However, there's no real alternative.

• 2 weeks later...