Coleman's Mustard?

Janni

Is there an international gourmet shop somewhere in Bangkok? Where does one find Coleman's mustard? Amul cheese? hoisin? decent French wines? a variety of vinegars? tortilla chips? salsa? tamales??? I know no one cooks... why am I trying?

COLEMAN mustard is easy to find,I buy it from a little market shop,and also at TOPLAND,which is a fair size mkt.and the only one in our area, as to the rest of the things, I wouldn't know .

I had to change my cooking style when I mover here as a lot of things are hard or impossible to get,,and if you ask a Thai about CARREFOUR they will call it CARFOO. it is a french owned chain.

If you want to enjoy "farang food" go right ahead, my Thai husband loves baked beans, bacon & eggs and our Thai staff loves schnitzel. When in Thailand do as the Thais do :o

Carrefour locations in thailand

Map to locations is on the website.

Here is the webpage:

New Store in Pattaya:

333 Moo 9 Pattaya Klang Rd., Tumbon Nongprue, Amphur Banglamung Chonburi 20260

Tel. (66) 038 360-444 Fax. (66) 038 360-456

E-mail : [email protected]

Bangkok Stores:

Sukapiban 3 Tel. 0-2735-3062-73

Srinakarin Tel. 0-2758-8263-8

Suwintawong Tel. 0-2906-4814-21

Bangyai Tel. 0-2903-1112-9

Rangsit Tel. 0-2995-0912-9

Petchkasem Tel. 0-2807-4754-60

Ramintra Tel. 0-2971-7555-62

Chaengwattana Tel. 0-2962-6170-7

Rattanatibet Tel. 0-2950-4888

Rama IV Tel. 0-2661-5580-4

Bangkae Tel. 0-2804-7340-43

Ratchadapisek Tel. 0-2354-0570

Bangbon Tel. 0-2898-0991-8

Bangpakok Tel. 0-2872-2000

Onnuch Tel. 0-2311-8099

Samrong Tel. 0-2380-6999

Ladprao Tel. 0-2983-7333

The Villa supermarket chain stock a large selection of Farang food, best one I've been to is on Sukhumvit nr Soi 33. Quite expensive, be warned :o

The (fluffy) Emporium is another one worth trying, on soi 24 opposite Villa.

Top floor.

The Villa supermarket chain stock a large selection of Farang food, best one I've been to is on Sukhumvit nr Soi 33. Quite expensive, be warned  :o

The (fluffy) Emporium is another one worth trying, on soi 24 opposite Villa.

Top floor.

Yes this Villa s/market does have Colmans although if you want to check ingredients on any food stuffs they are covered over by an import sticker in Thai which, given the target customer, i find odd - also the staff dont speak much English (not thats suprising in Thailand but given the prices youd think they would have one or two 'experts') - rip off joint.

Guest timbee

to those who say we farang should adapt to local food once here, i say "you are what you eat" and as my body's cells were constructed from potatoes, veg and meat, it doesn't like it if i only ingest rice, chilli and insects.

so, knowing where to get my native grub is particularly important. i note that it is also important to my thai friends, who never fail to leave thailand on overseas trips without packing noodles and chilli in the suitcase.

my penny ha'p'ny worth:

1. i find the carrefour on rama iv has an especially good selection of french items, unavailable at some other carrefours.

2. i lament villa's appalling and unimaginative selection of stock.

3. i commend "food for thought", a small aussie deli two thirds of the way up sukhumvit soi 71, on the left hand side as you drive north towards petchburi, for the quality of their meats (best lamb in thailand), veggies, cheeses and ready cooked frozen items. not a huge stock, but a gem everytime.

4. on the last friday of the month, when the paycheck is still untouched in my pocket, the mandarin's shop at central chidlom has some occasionally tempting items, as does the tops supermarket on the same floor.

bon appetite!

Without a doubt, Villa Market on Sukhumvit by Soi 33 carries the widest selction if imported foodstuffs in Thailand. Other stores carry some things but Villa is the place to get the widest selection. Thats not to say they are the best of the products - but they have the biggest range in Thailand - otherwise you need to hunt out specific deli stors that do there own importing. For example, Italian stuff, the best selction I have found is the store connected to La Piola in Suk Soi 13 which was originally an importer for the high end Italian restaurants and hotels. Indian stuff is at the minmart on the corner of Suk Soi 12 by the footbridge - Aussie stuff on Suk 71 as someone has already said. Marks & Spencers stuff from England, the largest I have found (and it aint that great) is at Central Chidlom on Plonchit.

Tesco and Carrefour aim at the Thai market and carry predominnantly Thai products - there is hardly anything of any mention in Tesco from a UK perpective other once or twice I have seen mint sauce and they used to have decent English tea, albeit at a price.

Hope this helps

american...I haven't seen any of the usual US packaged shrimp cocktail sauce around but you can assemble what you want from ingredients available from places like foodland in BKK. You might want to try some of the local packaged sauces which can be quite good. Where I live I can get a kilo of good freshwater shrimp for 100 baht...it's finding a good dipping sauce that's the problem. Try some of the local stuff (small bottle...usually has a picture of a shrimp on the label)...you might be pleasantly surprised.

re: Colemans mustard...the mixed version in a pot is around even in the wilds of Suphan Buri...can't find no powder, though. Who cares...US French's mustard is available everywhere and that's all you need for your sausages and cooking needs...they even got a good dijon item (expensive) excellent for belgian style roast pork loin.

Never could understand the brits and their little dabs of mustard...who wants something that scours you sinuses? In the US we slather it the way it should be used on sausages and etc. But...of course savages in blighty use brown sauce on their sawdust bangers rather than mustard like white men...

Recipe for cocktail saus

I'm sure anybody can make this....

A pot of mayonaisse.

A bottle of ketchup

some whisky left over from last night.

mixe some spoons of the mayonaisse with some ketchup in a bowl. whisk until corect coulour pink, taste to determin if you need more ketchup.

Drizzle in some whisky.

taste, voila cocktail sauce,

For Thousand island drop in some small cut onions and spring onions.

Want to make your own mayonaisse?

2 egg yellows in a bowl

1 teaspoon medium strong mustard

whisk to mix them.

Drizzle Sunflower oil in while whisking , not to quick or it will separate. After a while you get mayonaisse to right thickness.

Depending on what type of mayo you are used to and from which country you come

Add little Vinegar (belgium france)

Add sugar ( Holland)

Add cream ( USA)

some pepper and salt to taste.

Voila mayo.

Maybe i should start a Farang "Basic cooking at the condo Manual "?

B

Ps if your mayo did seperate pour a little cold water in one corner and start whisking from there slowly again.

zen...re your recipie for cocktail sauce sounds like the generic mishmash for thousand island dressing for salads...ain't no mayo for cocktail sauce recipies. But to be fair and extrapolate, a cocktail sauce in the US in Louisiana ain't gonna be the same in California (for non-smoking shrimps only) or elsewhere in coastal areas.

A greater challenge would be where does the best bbq sauce for ribs come from and what are the ingredients? For my money it would be Flints bbq in Oakland CA run by large sweating black women who are pledged to die before revealing the secret. I have assembled possible scenarios including kidnapping and torture and threatening their grandchildren with death...

better than that Kansas city stuff anyday that you can buy in a jar down the liquor store...

Does anyone know where to get marmite from? Would be eternally grateful if someone could lead me to the prize!

Again.... Villa on sujk 33 have it as they do cocktail sauce etc etc - however i hate to promote this store as they make no other effort and must be making a fortune with the prices charged. Cashiers have faces like thunder and ....a bit of market research and effort to understand their customers would do wonders for business but hey ho......why do i bother.....TIT and all that........and Udon yr right there is the nice manager type (claims has 'no power') who speaks English but he runs a mile when he sees crazy pom asking for organic wine and 'NOT-BACON and ask questions like 'why do you allow these thai langiage stickers over the English ingredients if your clientele is at least 50% non-thai' and 'please remove this sticker so i can see the pissin ingredients' (have to watch my cholesterol level). Still its the best for imports i found so far (incl Marmite).

zen...re your recipie for cocktail sauce sounds like the generic mishmash for thousand island dressing for salads...ain't no mayo for cocktail sauce recipies. But to be fair and extrapolate, a cocktail sauce in the US in Louisiana ain't gonna be the same in California (for non-smoking shrimps only) or elsewhere in coastal areas.

That's probably because you are an american and never seen or tasted Real European French Cocktial Sauce.

What you describe as cocktail sauce we call in Europe Ketchup with some pepper in it. You guy's trow ketchup all over the place.

Don't tell i don't know. I worked on an american cruiseship for a year.

Oysters with ketchup ... blrrrbbllrrr. bha.

Surely now you wouldn't suggest America as the birthplace of Haute cuisine do you ?? :o

tutsi~

CI's barbecue sauce, give it a try if you have a chance.

SIMPLE SWEET AND TANGY

BARBECUE SAUCE

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 medium onion, peeled and quartered

1 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

5 tablespoons molasses

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 medium garlic clove, minced

(about 1 teaspoon)

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Process onion and 1/4 cup water in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until pureed and mixture resembles slush, about 30 seconds. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids with rubber spatula to obtain 1/2 cup juice. Discard solids in strainer.

2. Whisk onion juice, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, molasses, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, and liquid smoke (if using) in medium bowl.

3. Heat oil in large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add garlic, chili powder, and cayenne pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in ketchup mixture and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently, uncovered, until flavors meld and sauce is thickened, about 25 minutes. Cool sauce to room temperature before using. (Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 7 days.)

Jeepz

p.s. cider vinegar is "apple cider vinegar". You might try a malt vinegar or wine vinegar if you can't find any cider vinegar. But best to find it if you can.

zen...cochon du merde...anyone that suggests that americans put ketchup on their oysters is 'gettin' on the fighting side of me' (famous patriotic US c&w song from the late 60s...)

engarde, monsieur!!!

jeepz...the bbq sauce recipie sounds familiar and is a good one. The one that I refer to has eau de large sweaty black woman and real smoked pork pan drippings...the secret ingredients...hence the necessity to commit crimes in order to find the final combination. I do like liquid smoke and use it when I can find it...it is a wonderful alternative to deodorant or when applied to the necks and shoulders of swell dames...wanna eat them up....

Tutsi~

I hear you about the smoked pork and all. A black guy with a tiny little restaurant close to where I lived fifteen or twenty years back had the best pulled pork sandwichs and barbecued ribs. And his cornbread! I don't like cornbread, but I loved his. It was moist and fine textured and tasted superb. Never have run into anything close to it since.

Jeepz

Does anyone know where to get marmite from? Would be eternally grateful if someone could lead me to the prize!

Again.... Villa on sujk 33 have it as they do cocktail sauce etc etc - however i hate to promote this store as they make no other effort and must be making a fortune with the prices charged. ....... Still its the best for imports i found so far (incl Marmite).

Marmite I can find in most towns ...... what I miss is a nice mug of hot Bovril at night, or before going out in the evening.

Definitely not available as the ubiquitous Marmite. Any suggestions (esp. around Pattaya)?