How much should I pay.

Garryandrade

Banditos here don't bother folks much but cops and military do. One never knows. It is a feeling of insecurity. Tourists such as I never encounter problems. Murders of said folks make international news. I remember someone getting beaten and robbed in an elevator once last year. I did notice however that many folks die falling out of windows in Thailand, or are murdered on the beach etc. Is it bad?

A large proportion of people who "fall out of windows" do it for 2 reasons

1; alcohol, you said you dont drink

2: girl and beer money all gone so jump, you said you dont want a girl or drink

you will be fine if you live a normal life,

• Like 1

I have looked at the various offerings of housing and frankly I am impressed by quality. Intangibles like bugs and smells are not obvious as are neighbours. Is it difficult to deal with difficult neighbours, I,e, could you call the cops and not have your house burned down later or do you go over and knock and bow and say shut the f... Up... These things I do not ok now but I like the look of the houses. A lot seem to have a lot of air conditioners. Is it bad heat humidity wise. Note that I live in the tropics. My ac bill on the beach last year was about 700 dollars. Fell outside of the subsidy.

I have looked at the various offerings of housing and frankly I am impressed by quality. Intangibles like bugs and smells are not obvious as are neighbours. Is it difficult to deal with difficult neighbours, I,e, could you call the cops and not have your house burned down later or do you go over and knock and bow and say shut the f... Up... These things I do not ok now but I like the look of the houses. A lot seem to have a lot of air conditioners. Is it bad heat humidity wise. Note that I live in the tropics. My ac bill on the beach last year was about 700 dollars. Fell outside of the subsidy.

£700 dollars a month? Are you a penguin??

Banditos here don't bother folks much but cops and military do. One never knows. It is a feeling of insecurity. Tourists such as I never encounter problems. Murders of said folks make international news. I remember someone getting beaten and robbed in an elevator once last year. I did notice however that many folks die falling out of windows in Thailand, or are murdered on the beach etc. Is it bad?

A large proportion of people who "fall out of windows" do it for 2 reasons

1; alcohol, you said you dont drink

2: girl and beer money all gone so jump, you said you dont want a girl or drink

you will be fine if you live a normal life,

While people don't get murdered here, we do have a problem with kidnappings... Basically taxi drivers will take you to an ATM and get you to make withdrawals... Often in cahoots with the cops.

Are police a threat there or are they there to serve? Taxis etc..?

My main problem with this expat life is not the people but the authorities who are corrupt. Around here, except for Chile and Uruguay, corruption is rife. In Mexico Mordita, I.e. Pay to cops is affected by inflation and the going rate of late is about 100 dollars. Hate that part.

how about using the old financial rule of thumb, dont spend anymore than 1/3 of your income on the rent ?...you should find yourself a half decent place for 30k/m odd

30,000 per month will get you better than a half decent place. You will be able to live a very good life here on that kind of money as you do not have expensive vices.

as for your Visa I have a retirement one. I originally got it in Vancouver B C. Not sure what is available any more as even then you could not get one at all the conciliates. Best to go on the forum for visas some smart up to date people on that one. What part of Mexico. I loved a little fishing village close to Ixstapa.

My main problem with this expat life is not the people but the authorities who are corrupt. Around here, except for Chile and Uruguay, corruption is rife. In Mexico Mordita, I.e. Pay to cops is affected by inflation and the going rate of late is about 100 dollars. Hate that part.

I have no problem with the police as I don't drive that much and I obey the rules. I run a lot of electricity and the highest bill I ever had was one month when I ran the air cob 24/7 for a month plus other electronic items. The bill that much was about $300 American. If you get a house you can pay direct to the elec. co. at a lot cheaper rate. Some condo's mine included you have to pay the condo and they charge any where from 50% more to over 100% more.

You talked about noisy neighbors that is some thing you will have to investigate in an area that you wish to move into. Not that easy to get them to quite up.

• Like 1

Oh ok Piratebay, illegal downloads site,

Yes Nong Khai, as i previously said borders Laos, it is a convenient place to live for border runs because of the Friendship Bridge, crossing to Laos.

Alot of people use the crossing. and as it says in an article i read, the Swedish Pirate Bay guy lived in Laos

• Like 1

Nong Khai is deadly quite. I would try Chiang Mai first, or even Chiang Rai. 90,000 baht is enough if you have health insurance. Do not pay more than 20,000 rent. No need for it even in Chiang Mai.

You can rent a two-story townhouse in Chiang Mai Nimmenhaemin area for 25,000 baht a month and that is the most expensive land in the city. You don't need to live in that area and you don't need a two story townhouse, I'm guessing.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the police as I don't drive that much and I obey the rules. I run a lot of electricity and the highest bill I ever had was one month when I ran the air cob 24/7 for a month plus other electronic items. The bill that much was about $300 American. If you get a house you can pay direct to the elec. co. at a lot cheaper rate. Some condo's mine included you have to pay the condo and they charge any where from 50% more to over 100% more.

You talked about noisy neighbors that is some thing you will have to investigate in an area that you wish to move into. Not that easy to get them to quite up.

Ouch 300 dollars is alot, I think the most I have racked up was 3500 thats with two aircons, one usually running 24/7 for the dog! (he is a hiso dog who likes his aircon) plus various things on fridge, tv, laptops etc, and I am in a 4 bedroom house, 50-100% is harsh

13k can get a nice & new 1 bedroom condo in Chiangmai Business Park just behind Big C Extra and future Platinum mall, which is easy for daily food and shopping. Maintenance fee and elecrtic maybe around4-5k max if you turn on a/c 24/7 so total rental cost not more than 18k baht.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1457008997887709.1073741833.1420806904841252&type=3

Vinikintana

An interesting name. I like what you have written. I have never looked North. Yanks scare me. And I fear the costs. Mexico is suppose to be cheap, but at the end of the month, I sometimes scrape to dig up garbage money! I only pay 300 per month rent on don't monger .. I must be dong something seriously wrong. I do give money to poor people though but it can't be that much. Have a maid which I need. I worry that I might not be able to get one in the USA.....

Don't let the Yanks scare you. There are more Swiss people there than you could imagine. My family came from Switzerland to live there. Don't know anything about Arizona other than it's warm and dry and no mosquitoes.

Don't see how you would avoid mosquitoes in Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't drink, go out to my porch only, love to eat well and not interested in unmarried sex etc. I write at home. Hate mosquitos, don't golf, fish or ride elephants. I hate the beach and drunken folks. I love the comforts of home and a clean house. I live in Mexico but am Swiss and want to move due to banditos

Sounds like Switzerland would do you.

Singapore or just across in to Malaysia would seem perfect for you.

There's quite an active and social Swiss community in Chiang Mai. Very nice people. While the OP says a nice house is his most important criteria, it's still important to have a good social network of people he could count on as friends if he needs help. The Swiss community here seems to do that for each other. Very good and caring Hon. Swiss Consul, too. http://www.swiss-lanna-society.com/

Also, since he obviously speaks English, he can enjoy all the English-speaking expat activities that don't revolve around alcohol. http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

At age 60, he should be thinking about future health care needs. Nong Khai is lovely, but removed from good health care. There are many good health care providers in Chiang Mai.

As has already been said, his budget is more than adequate for a very nice lifestyle here. He should come and check it out for a few months. Not make any long-term commitments right away, but just to see what it's like for a few months. Life isn't perfect here, but the dangers are different than in Mexico and it may take the OP a time to figure that out. (Note to OP -- don't get into any long-term relationship with Thai people during your first year! You'll find the lovely Thai women consider you to be a handsome, rich man.)

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Get a hotel for a week then visit the many serviced apartments. Your priority should be a mountain view from your balcony and a place which has a cleaning service. Maybe there are less mosquitos in apartments a few floors up?

I would budget in leaving Chiang Mai for March to stay in Hua Hin. This will give you a nice seaside break for a month whilst avoiding the worst of the smokey air. Staying within walking distance to a Rimping, which sells imported food, would be a bonus. March until soon is hot, aircon weather.