True Limiting Torrent Downloads?

dsan

hey all,

anyone know if True limits downloads made via torrents.

Ive done some investigation and it seems that initially the torrent connects at the highest available rate of the seed/peer, but then after 2 minutes drops to a limit below 20k/sec

Having a 2.5mb line is pointless if they limit inbound traffic

hey all,

anyone know if True limits downloads made via torrents.

Ive done some investigation and it seems that initially the torrent connects at the highest available rate of the seed/peer, but then after 2 minutes drops to a limit below 20k/sec

Having a 2.5mb line is pointless if they limit inbound traffic

Yes , they packet shape p2p traffic. There was a press article awhile back on this forums mentioning the software / hardware they use to do it.

Hate to break the news, but True ADSL limits downloads of *everything* to one degree or another; ftp, pop3, https, file sharing, what have you. File sharing seems to have the slowest speed limit of them all; in my experience even slower than 56k dialup. Other countries vision of the internet is to make it bigger and wider for new usages. true's vision of the internet is to find out what eats bandwidth and strangle it. That's just the ISP mindset here.

dsan: I hope you're not using TOR for p2p filesharing!!!!

I am on True ADSL and enabled the "Protocol Encryption" function in my bittorrent client. As a result I can transfer up and down at full speed, so long as there are sufficient compatible clients on a seed - which there usually is these days.

Edit: I also want to point out that I throttle down or usually just close my p2p clients in the evenings, so don't blame me for the lack of bandwidth during those hours. :o

Edited by clokwise

Actually im using torrents in the way they were originally developed, for easing the bandwidth load on any 1 server.

Its pretty pathetic that True shape all bandwidth

What do you expect them to do? .. International bandwidth is limited and expensive.

Hate to break the news, but True ADSL limits downloads of *everything* to one degree or another; ftp, pop3, https, file sharing, what have you. File sharing seems to have the slowest speed limit of them all; in my experience even slower than 56k dialup. Other countries vision of the internet is to make it bigger and wider for new usages. true's vision of the internet is to find out what eats bandwidth and strangle it. That's just the ISP mindset here.

Couldn't have put it better myself, trying to listen to 128k stream here, is a joke most of the time, and I am using a 512 connexion. Sometimes it is okay in the morning, but come the afternoon, no chance. As to the Bit Torrent, thing, I am just using the encrypt, to by pass the stupidity!

Please can you tell me which bit torrent client you are using which enables encryption

In uTorrent Options/Preferences/Bit Torrent you can select encryption options.

Also, in Options/Preferences/Connection you can select the port to use, or use a random port (ie port will change everytime you launch uTorrent), always use a port number higher than 10 000.

Actually im using torrents in the way they were originally developed, for easing the bandwidth load on any 1 server.

So I guess you don't use torrents to download movies, tv series or music.

Because for this you could use Direct Connect and connect to a local hub (PM me if you want more information).