Adsl

cme

Could anybody tell me if a European ADSL Modem/ Router (FritzBox 3030) will function in Thailand? I have been unable to find out if the ADSL Standard is a global standard or if each country/region has its own version.

Thanks,

[email protected]

Can't answer your question, but TOT provide ADSL modems free when you apply for the service in Thailand.

I have used a European ADSL modem/router, and bought one locally which didn't have any firmware localisation, both worked fine. I doubt you will have any trouble.

You need to make sure the username, password, encapsulation, VPI & VCI settings are correct for your Thai ISP, and if using the router as DNS proxy, update the DNS settings (European DNS servers might not be the fastest).

TOT and the others provide them 'free' in exchange for a contract, usually 1 year.

Edited by silvero

To enlarge on geoffphuket's post, almost every ADSL/Cable ISP here is going to do you a promotion that includes the router.

I would like to say thanks to all of you that responded, I guess I will just bring it and try it when I arrive.

cme

Can't answer your question, but TOT provide ADSL modems free when you apply for the service in Thailand.

Really? I and five of my neighbours have ADSL from TOT and each one of us paid 1,926 baht for a TOT ADSL router! On the other hand, maybe we paid because we have 4-port routers rather than modems. That might explain it.

Really? I and five of my neighbours have ADSL from TOT and each one of us paid 1,926 baht for a TOT ADSL router! On the other hand, maybe we paid because we have 4-port routers rather than modems. That might explain it.

Just to clarify, the free modem is just that, not a router or anything fancy. The contract is for 12 months @ 500Bt/month - 256/128Kb connection.

I know TOT take a lot flack regarding their service, but I've nothing but praise for them. I was handed the modem on signing the contract at the shop - with detailed instructions (in english!) for setting it up, and it became active after three days as promised. All this without paying anything. Having now used it for the best part of 6 weeks, during that time it's never once let me down....maybe I'm just lucky :o I'm sure others could paint a different picture.

Just to clarify, the free modem is just that, not a router or anything fancy. The contract is for 12 months @ 500Bt/month - 256/128Kb connection.

I know TOT take a lot flack regarding their service, but I've nothing but praise for them. I was handed the modem on signing the contract at the shop - with detailed instructions (in english!) for setting it up, and it became active after three days as promised. All this without paying anything. Having now used it for the best part of 6 weeks, during that time it's never once let me down....maybe I'm just lucky :o I'm sure others could paint a different picture.

That explains it. Similar service to that given by TOT to me and, after 9 months of using the Goldcyber package (1024/256 Kb), I have no complaints. Sometimes the service is down for a short while but TOT telephones me to apologise!

Edited by Artisan

I got ADSL from TOT 2 weeeks ago. I wanted a WLAN modem for my Mac laptop. The modem ADSL modem from TOT did not work with Mac OSX 10.4.

TOT in Ban Phai (Khon Kaen) told me do buy any ADSL modem in Switzerland and then use it here. They are all the same (there is just one ADSL norm worldwide).

I then bought a D-Link WLAN ADSL modem/router in Khon Kaen (J-Net, near Oasis) for 2800 Baht and had it installed and running within 5 minutes with the help of a TOT employee (he just had to give me the username/password and VCI and VPI paramters). I now have an own WLAN and LAN with a Mac laptop and a Windows XP PC.

You will probably buy things cheaper here, because they are made in this region anyway and then send and sold in EU.

Regards Thedi