Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody think that a paper lantern weighing just a few ounces at most poses a serious threat threat to a modern aircraft weighing several tons whose engines are specifically designed to withstand strikes from large birds? The pointing of laser beams is another matter and should be rigorously stamped out.

You should look back a couple pages, read a post from Hawker9000.

Do you really think a jet engine continues to operate normally after ingesting a large bird?

@55Jay... Forget it. It's beyond their comprehension. They could google bird hits but they won't. They could think of how the Red Shirt protests 2010 got the army helicopters away from their protest sites. They won't. Aircraft can fly in the most difficult and impossible weather... but they aren't designed to HIT THINGS!

Yeah, OK. More fun than Google would be to get them to stick their head out the car window at a moderate ground speed of 100kph and wait for a good sized bug to impact their face. When they get out of the hospital, have them do it again but increase the speed to 250 knots and replace the insect with a festival lantern.

• Like 1

How exactly are they going to arrest people? DNA the lanterns or dust for fingerprints? At least tell us how far we have to be from airport to release them and does the wind direction matter?

"How exactly are they going to arrest people?"

No they arrest anyone and everyone that does it. It only happens on certain holidays... Police prevention is the best policy.

"DNA the lanterns or dust for fingerprints?"

Probably impossible unless the person that launched it has his DNA and fingerprints on file.

"At least tell us how far we have to be from airport to release them and does the wind direction matter?"

Why do YOU need to launch a lantern near an airport? It's common sense... you don't!

---- deleted ------

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

First time I've agreed with anything you've posted. Well said sir!

Well this is the country where someone picking a few wild mushrooms can be sentenced by to 30 years in prison for their trouble by a fully educated and probably still serving judge.

I agree with you about the mushroom pickers... but they weren't going to bring down an A-380 or disrupt traffic at a major airport doing that.

These lanterns aren't going to bring down a jet either. Any disruption is introduced on a voluntary basis by the airports.

The lanterns are 'crap' and a complete waste but they've been in use for many many years now. I remember seeing 1000's of them drifting across the sky on Phuket once and I haven't been to Phuket for what must be about 10 years. I don't remember airports being closed at any time since then apart from when the 'crazies' take over them.

Violators may face:

A. Execution

B. Life sentence

C. 5 to 10 years in prison

D. Bribe the police when they come knocking.. assuming they can find you of course, which is a fairly big assumption

E. The most likely of the bunch.. Nothing at all

how close is "near"?

5km, 10km, the parking lot??

Perhaps it is codified in the respective Thai law. I try to avoid nit-picking the news articles since often times they seem to be misquoted, ambiguous or just plain not my business.

Well this is the country where someone picking a few wild mushrooms can be sentenced by to 30 years in prison for their trouble by a fully educated and probably still serving judge.

I agree with you about the mushroom pickers... but they weren't going to bring down an A-380 or disrupt traffic at a major airport doing that.

These lanterns aren't going to bring down a jet either. Any disruption is introduced on a voluntary basis by the airports.

The lanterns are 'crap' and a complete waste but they've been in use for many many years now. I remember seeing 1000's of them drifting across the sky on Phuket once and I haven't been to Phuket for what must be about 10 years. I don't remember airports being closed at any time since then apart from when the 'crazies' take over

Not disagreeing with you,but what brought down the Air France Concorde,a piece of metal from a previous flight.Punctured a tyre on take off.Now think about it,if you can get a puncture in your car from a nail or a screw,or any foreign object what are the consesquencies?

• Like 1

The lanterns are 'crap' and a complete waste but they've been in use for many many years now. I remember seeing 1000's of them drifting across the sky on Phuket once and I haven't been to Phuket for what must be about 10 years. I don't remember airports being closed at any time since then apart from when the 'crazies' take over them.

Well... It's been about the same time since I last went to Phuket... But that's not relevant to the issues of aviation safety. The lanterns are lovely floating against a black sky, but you don't do it near an airport.

The stupid things are dangerous anywhere. Fire hazard. If they're really worried about air safety...don't let Thais fly airplanes. They can't even taxi them on the ground properly.

Edited by Fullstop

I think what is being lost on he here is the probability of an air accident happening.This is why our nanny states pre-empts the situation.It's what is called foresight.Just as a matter of interest.I was a MOD PLOD based at a Fleet Air Arm Station.There was a law that nothing,including kites could be flown within a 2 mile radius of the airfield.I had the misfortune on many occasions to curtail famiy"s kite flying activeties.

Violators may face:

A. Execution

B. Life sentence

C. 5 to 10 years in prison

D. Bribe the police when they come knocking.. assuming they can find you of course, which is a fairly big assumption

E. The most likely of the bunch.. Nothing at all

If you are some high society kid with a wealthy mum and dad the latter will certainly be the case and you can take out a bus stop full of pedestrians plus a cop on his motorbike with little chance of seeing the inside of a cell.

For normal Thai people the other punishments will certainly apply.

Edited by Jay Sata

I guess the threat of death isn't enough assurance for Bangkok Air. If this isn't a convenient excuse to cancel loss leader flights, then somebody's over-reacting and putting safety ahead of revenue. tongue.png

Admin

• av-327.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.ce.mcAA1C0JNB

Posted Today, 15:53

Bangkok Airways adjusts flight timetable to avoid lantern floating

BANGKOK, 5 November 2014 (NNT) - Bangkok Airways has announced adjustments and cancellations of its flights to some provinces in the North where lantern floating is scheduled during 5-7 November 2014.

As a result, flights operating between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are cancelled everyday from 5-7 November. They include PG235 and PG236 on the Bangkok – Chiang Rai route, PG227, PG228 PG221 and PG220 on the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route.

As for flights to Myanmar, cancellations are made to two routes. They are PG724 and PG723 between Yangon – Chiang Mai on 5 and 7 November; and PG 726 and PG 725 on November 6. Flights between Chiang Mai and Mandalay (Myanmar), PG726 and PG725, are cancelled on 6 November.

Besides, adjustments of flights are made during 5-7 November as follows: PG906 Bangkok-Chiang Mai will depart from Suvarnabhumi international airport at 16.30 and arrive in Chiang Mai at 17.45. PG246 Chiang Mai –Udon Thaini will depart from Chiang Mai international airport at 13.40 and arrive at Udon Thani Airport at 15.05. PG245 will depart from Udon Thani at 15.25 and arrive in Chiang Mai at 16.50.

Those who need more information can call Bangkok Airways Call Center at 1771 around the clock (3 baht/min only for landline telephone)

Edited by 55Jay

Violators may face execution or a life sentence or serve a lighter sentence of 5 to 10 years in prison, if damages done were not too severe. In addition, such offenders are also guilty of violating Section 232 of the Criminal Code and that alone carries a sentence of 6 to 7 years in prison and a fine up to 1,000 to 14,000 baht.

Seems VERY reasonable.

In the US if you point a laser and interfere with the operation of an aircraft, it is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollars fine. I imagine if it brought down the plane killing people then you would received a life sentence or possibly the death penalty.

Just curious, & not saying it isn't dangerous, but how does a laser affect an aircraft?

Another out fit for police to scam tourist.

Sell them the lantern, than arrest them for releasing it, unless pocket money is paid.

How do you know if you are near or far from the airport?

The sight of low flying airplanes and signs that say, airport, are the usual clues that an airport is not far away.

• Like 2

---deleted----

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

None that I am aware of BUT...do you want to be the first person to cause an air disaster, or perhaps you would like to pick up the cost involved in re-scheduling flights throughout Thailand?

The LAW is the LAW, live with it or live elsewhere, is the simple solution.

• Like 1

Last few lines of this article even mentions the lantern problem up in CM. It's "trending" now.....

Khon Kaen Airport resumes service
By Digital Content

x14151676946804-640x390x1.jpg.pagespeed.

KHON KAEN, Nov 5 -- Khon Kaen Airport reopened this morning as the aircraft which slipped off the runway has been removed.

The Airbus A330 TG047 of Thai Airways International slipped off the runway on Monday and was stuck.

Consequently Khon Kaen airport was closed through yesterday.

Workers' attempts to remove the plane took about 30 hours before achieving success at about 3am today.

The plane was moved away from the runway and was parked within the airport compound pending investigation of the incident.

Airport services resumed after the authorities checked the runway and navigation systems and found nothing wrong with them.

The resumed services began with the landings of Thai AirAsia and Thai Smile flights at 8am and 8.05am. The first takeoff from Khon Kaen to Bangkok occurred at 8.45am.

Airport director Atthaya Lapmak said the nose tire of the plane was ruptured but it was not yet determined if the damage happened before or after the plane went off the runway. The body of the plane remains intact.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai airport workers are trying hard to collect used sky lanterns that are falling onto the airport due to the Loy Krathong festival.

Chiang Mai airport director Visoot Chanthana said although the authorities were asking people to take careful consideration on releasing sky lanterns to prevent adverse impacts on aviation, the number of such lanterns falling into the airport was increasing.

Airport staff collected more than 100 sky lanterns in the past 3-4 years, he said. (MCOT online news)

xtnalogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RfiuWLSbQJ.jpg

ban air flights during the festival

sorted

Ban water at Song Khran-----ban tourists to save death and rape-------ban suspect pilots-----

By the way if ThaiVisa could ban a few posters I would be happy tootongue.png

(no offence you'r not concerned ginjagwink.png)

• Like 1

Well, it "nearly" happened already. Maybe there's something to this?

Incident: China Southern B738 at Shantou on Oct 4th 2009, rejected takeoff Tuesday, Oct 6th 2009 15:26Z

skylantern.jpgA Sky Lantern

A China Southern Airlines Boeing 737-800, flight CZ-3853 from Shantou to Shanghai (China), rejected takeoff from Shantou on command of the control tower, when the tower controller spotted a sky lantern in the departure path of the aircraft. The airplane slowed safely, the sky lantern subsequently floated onto the runway from where the object was picked up by airport staff.

China is currently celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival, launching sky lanterns is a traditional and popular part of the festival.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on this, does it not seem absurd they would use this timing on the matter? After all, the sellers have by now likely sold massive amounts of these already. That might be good for the sellers but how about the buyers? Nobody care that they've spent their money already? And, of course the sellers also have spent on stock they now won't be able to sell. I mean, this is the day before it begins for crying out loud! Is one legally required to be up on the news? If so, what would be sufficient, reading the newspapers, checking it out on t.v., or going to a fortune teller? Is whoever thought this up an

infant or an elder with Alzheimers?

Soooooo ,,,, A small child, or a "dumb" farlang that know's no better,,, releases a lantern, NEAR an airport,,, that, HAPPENS to maybe drift into airport air space,,,, "DEATH TO YOU!',,,, yet the BIB,, the Nigerians, the typical,, yada, yada, yada, day to day REAL criminal,, that gets away with, MURDER on a daily basis,,,, $500 baht fine,,, please include this in a way that no one can see as in,,, please pass to me under my fake "finable offences, liminated placard",,,,, gets a, ,, "free pass"..... wanna BET if anyone is actually caught/convicted of this will be a Thai male?,,,,, any takers???,,,, The last time I was stopped, for, "not riding on hard left side", while driving in the middle lane, to make a LEGAL U TURN, I had my Thai girl ask them on my behalf,, "why are all these laws/infractions, only written in ENGLISH language?" he laughed and said,,, "because Thai's have no money to pay",,,,,,, TRUE STORY!!!!

Edited by Adeeos