Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

My brother's house caught fire 3 years ago on ok pansaa due to lanterns.

Death is a bit severe.

If he and 400 other people had been locked inside while it burned what would you have said?

He's got a big house?............................coffee1.gif

He hasn't any more has he. Just like the 400 in the airliner don't have an airplane.

Oh, Lighten up, hah, see what I did there.................................coffee1.gif

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Well the turbines get tested by throwing in a full size big duck at full speed of the turbine. And an airplane should be able to handle a problem at one turbine.

I doubt that such a light lantern can cause a serious problem.

Of course it shouldn't be done near the airport but the penalty (execute only the father or also the children who helped?) is way off. a 5000 Baht fee would be OK.

Why do people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about insist on pretending that they do? I doubt you've even taken the trouble to read what's already been explained on this very issue. Are you a pilot with turbine experience? A powerplants engineer or technician? How many FOD'ed turbines have you torn down or NDI'd? How many oil samples have you processed? How many damaged engines have you written the check to repair? How much time have you spent working around high performance engines or on carrier flight decks? Maybe you're an accident investigator? Oh, I know. You've seen all the Airport movies.

Yes, the lanterns surely do represent a potential hazard to aviation. And yes, the death penalty talk is ridiculous (but do you really think it'll ever be used?).

• Like 2

It is a problem especially during take off as if engine power is lost the plane cannot gain enough speed/height to turn around as generally a plane loses speed when turning and if the speed goes below a critical speed it will stall and drop from the sky (NY plane crash by bird strike very lucky he had water to land on) Also many airports are near cities and populated area so a plane full of fuel on take off could kill thousands on the ground. The limit should be many kilometres away from the airport as the lanterns not only take off but when they stop burning fall back to groud and with a wind of 20kmh if they stay up for 30 mins they could move 10 kms.

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Well the turbines get tested by throwing in a full size big duck at full speed of the turbine. And an airplane should be able to handle a problem at one turbine.

Of course it shouldn't be done near the airport but the penalty (execute only the father or also the children who helped?) is way off. a 5000 Baht fee would be OK.

Why do people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about insist on pretending that they do? I doubt you've even taken the trouble to read what's already been explained on this very issue. Are you a pilot with turbine experience? A powerplants engineer or technician? How many FOD'ed turbines have you torn down or NDI'd? How many oil samples have you processed? How many damaged engines have you written the check to repair? How much time have you spent working around high performance engines or on carrier flight decks? Maybe you're an accident investigator? Oh, I know. You've seen all the Airport movies.

Yes, the lanterns surely do represent a potential hazard to aviation. And yes, the death penalty talk is ridiculous (but do you really think it'll ever be used?).

The law may give a penalty of up to death here for this offence as the law is one of interfering with the safety of flight. I am sure there are more than a few posters who would quite happily have given the death penalty to people such as the Lockerbie bombers. This is an offence which could potentially bring down an aircraft and kill its occupants. In this case a heavy penalty would be given, if not a smaller one.

He also mentioned lasers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2795836/moment-police-helicopter-tracks-party-goer-shone-laser-pen-pilot-s-eyes-officers-ground-arrest-him.html

shows an english case..7 months suspended and in this case no injuries.

and for those who prefer the other side of the Atlantic.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-01-04-laser-aircraft_x.htm

and and even larger summary

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

Edited by harrry

Do they only execute the father who, or also the children and the mother who helped releasing the floating lanterns?

Sheesh, that's an easy one. Just the kids get it. The mother and father are then sterilized to prevent further spawning. Simple.

I had training in constructing turbines, but never constructed a complete one. That throw in a duck when the turbine is at full speed was what I have learned there. That was 1990 so things may have changed. Considering that lanterns is only paper without metal (is it without metal??) and a small candle it should be much less than a small bird.

But sure you can explain me what will happen when it sucks in a lantern (considering it is only thin paper a small candle and no metal wire (which I am not sure about).

Do they only execute the father who, or also the children and the mother who helped releasing the floating lanterns?

Sheesh, that's an easy one. Just the kids get it. The mother and father are then sterilized to prevent further spawning. Simple.

Or easier, they just take the next 3 Burmese they can find instead.

Waiting to find out the penalty for floating krathongs in shipping lanes.

Was that you who asked that a couple pages back?

Funny you ask because my Mrs. was just telling me the other night they should be made from bread so that eventually they dissolve and/or are eaten by fish. Reduces pollution and I reckon it would speak to the potential hazard to maritime navigation and even prevent an far out scenario like a false man overboard which puts lives at risk during search operations.

These Thais never cease to amaze, eh? They need to be threatened with death, imprisonment and laughable fines when it comes to hazarding aircraft full of people hundreds or thousands of feet AGL, but on this one, they self-regulate and multi-task. Wow! clap2.gif

Or easier, they just take the next 3 Burmese they can find instead.

Oh yes, that's a great idea but of course, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure pound.

I would suggest hanging 1 Burmese from each and every lantern, and give them a flash light to blink on and off to warn any aircraft in the area. If they sing the Loy Krathong song on the way up, they'll earn an extra 100 Baht per flight.

I had training in constructing turbines, but never constructed a complete one. That throw in a duck when the turbine is at full speed was what I have learned there. That was 1990 so things may have changed. Considering that lanterns is only paper without metal (is it without metal??) and a small candle it should be much less than a small bird.

But sure you can explain me what will happen when it sucks in a lantern (considering it is only thin paper a small candle and no metal wire (which I am not sure about).

They usually have a large ring of about welding rod thichkness.

I studied engineering and did 1 semester in the aviation dept. breaking metal, with my petty knowledge even I can tell you the use of a bird to test state of the art machinery is absurd. Throw in a Burmese, then maybe.

Just go back a page, maybe now two... Quite lazy to not read the thread you're actually posting into. rolleyes.gif

Can you imagine big Bubba Somchai in his cell asking new little wimpy Somchai why you're in prison?

Well...I sent off a floating lantern near the airport!

Bend over ...were gonna be here many years. You are my new wife....Bubba Somchai declares.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

In the last 10 minutes I have watched 40 to 50 lanterns going up about 10k south of CM airport. I know its not that close to the airport but they are going up in the usual landing and take off path.

We've just lit ours :-) were in Bo Sang there appears hundreds up there.

Since I last posted there has been another 50 or 60 go up. I just looked at flight tracker and the usual planes landing over me have cancelled status, except Air Asia it should be landing in five minutes. The lanterns are disappearing in the very low clouds just about the altitude planes are landing at where I am.

In the last 10 minutes I have watched 40 to 50 lanterns going up about 10k south of CM airport. I know its not that close to the airport but they are going up in the usual landing and take off path.

Since I last posted there has been another 50 or 60 go up. I just looked at flight tracker and the usual planes landing over me have cancelled status, except Air Asia it should be landing in five minutes. The lanterns are disappearing in the very low clouds just about the altitude planes are landing at where I am.

We can't see the airport from here in fact I can't see any planes either :-( there's a lot going up near here as well.

We can't see the airport from here in fact I can't see any planes either :-( there's a lot going up near here as well.

I was mistaken, I thought an Air Asia flight was landing at CNX it was actually departing. Air Asia has just changed their status from on time 2155 departure to scheduled. I guess the lanterns are to thick in the flight path. I guess the death sentence threat didnt take hold up here.

...then you should have some small understanding of what happens when any solid object gets sucked into the rotor blades, and what happens when a rapidly spinning compressor or turbine stage becomes unbalanced at operating speeds (thousands of RPMs; over 10,000 RPM for some N2s). Blade tips can actually get supersonic. Already explained all this in this thread. Even something as small as a rivet or small screw - which ground crews, BTW, inspect meticulously for prior to flight; 'used to call it "duct-diving" - can FOD an engine. And the testing with bird carcasses has been explained as well - it's NOT for the purpose of demonstrating that a particular engine is "FOD-proof".