2 new white cameras before Loy Kroh?

Holy Cow

Today coming back from taking the kids to school I saw 2 new elevated back to back white cameras facing oposite directions. Location was after Blue Bar on corner in front of Power Bar. Had to google look at the street view that info. Direction of the cameras appears to be pointing down perfectly same in oposite directions for front and back, but exact angle and purpose not sure. One reason could be peopele traffic, the other could be for vehicle traffic. A few weeks ago I received a photo pic of me on bike no helmet on back view. I am wondering if this is the same style of robotic catch you and ticket us methods, or if it for face recognition. Beware of things in CM now, all is changing.

Anyone see these 2 white cameras? I just noticed them today as schol is back in this week. And your consensus is?

Beware of things in CM now, all is changing.

Beware? Or applaud? If it's for traffic violation control, it's a great move. If there was really efficient and effective traffic control we would avoid much of the traffic jams, and a large percentage of the accidents.

As for facial recognition... wow. Who is looking for you? Being a farang in Thailand means that every Thai in your neighborhood knows who you are and where you live. And a lot of them who aren't from your neighborhood too. You can be sure the police know where you are already without installing expensive cameras.

• Like 2

Traffic Violation control and you applaud? Maybe it will shoot a laser out and rub out the offenders?

What are the only defining points to Thai Police handing out violations through a camera with a set angle? No helmet, errrr, and?

Nobody is looking for me, as you say, our lives are open as a book for those of us who stay here. But the visitors? Maybe it is going to catch the guys going after the Lady Boys and then???? Just seems to be more military thumb control.

I would bet that more will spring up in and around that particular area. On the Thai news this morning it showed raids on Karoke bars arresting the girls + the owners for prostitution, and then the next frame went to a boys for men style place doing the same. Just seemed a matter of time before the hard powers that be tackled that red light toursit and locals attractions. Sort of like crumbling the institution Thailand is expected to have.

Welcome to the 21st century and electronic surveillance.

Electronic ticketing of traffic offenders has been running in many western and some ASEAN countries for some years:

No helmet, too many pillion passengers, running red lights, turning against a red arrow, illegal U turns, speeding, out-of-date registration.

Hopefully, next they can run a check on noise and pollution levels. tongue.png

• Like 2

Hah, maybe just put there, as by coincidence I saw 2 CCTV cameras up near Wat Phra Singh today. Slightly west of the police station. I didn't stop to take a good look but I was walking so they sort of stuck out to me. But the weird thing was they were on a tree, under a whole load of foliage. The only thing they will be catching is falling leaves!

cmsally. Were they white cameras back to back? As for getting caught, I just received my first camera shot last week for no helmet. Still need to go pay it and it is what it is. Now just need to find a comfortable helmet so to join the rank and file. The ways of the Wild Wild East are going away.

Well, if they are going to use the cameras, then they should use them to get the lady boys doing selfies in their ultra skimpy outfits out in the open at 7 am. That is not only a menace to traffic, gives one an eyesore as well. That was the other morning on the way to the kiddies school.

You sound quite paranoid.....posting 5 times. Maybe you don't want your family to get a photo in the post of you and a transvestite riding your motorcycle without helmets.laugh.png

I also applaud any efforts to catch these terrible, irresponsible, careless drivers who kill and disfigure thousands of people on the roads every year. The white cameras are going up everywhere.

• Like 1

Traffic Violation control and you applaud? Maybe it will shoot a laser out and rub out the offenders?

A fine would be suffient, and being paid to the police station would slow down the comments about corruption and bribery.

Nobody is looking for me, as you say, our lives are open as a book for those of us who stay here. But the visitors? Maybe it is going to catch the guys going after the Lady Boys and then????

I doubt mult-million dollar Facial Recognition systems would be installed to look for visitor seeking Ladyboys. Much more likely these cameras are for traffic offenses.

I would bet that more will spring up in and around that particular area.

Let's hope so. If a person gets enough moving violation fines without learning anything, then at least they can be taken off the road.

• Like 2

Is being a ladyboy illegal? I never knew. Selfies are popular and hardly illegal so hard to figure Holy Cow's problem. Maybe some kind of latent sexual thing and dislikes those who ideas are different. Many groups, like IS islam, hate difference and will chop your head if not same as them. Huge insecurity deep inside those folks.

• Like 1

You sound quite paranoid.....posting 5 times. Maybe you don't want your family to get a photo in the post of you and a transvestite riding your motorcycle without helmets.laugh.png

I also applaud any efforts to catch these terrible, irresponsible, careless drivers who kill and disfigure thousands of people on the roads every year. The white cameras are going up everywhere.

Not paranoid. And that is actually very comical to think. What if someone actually got a ticket photo in the mail and did have something funky on the back side when out playinmg around when the family or wife or G-friend is at home. Could this be like a photo bomb? Going to be someone in hot water at home some time or the other..

For me, I rarely ever go out, and at that, I never ride anyone. My concern is just getting another ticket in the mail, or wondering how many are on their way at this moment. Could be any sort of 1-10 more and the fine suggested is 500bht, and that is a nice slap if it is 10. I have a new helmet now and am getting used to wearing it.

After taking a second look on way home from getting the kiddies from school yesterday, it appears there are around 4-5 more camersa from that point I mentioned going straight down past DK book store. seems a little overkill, but up to them.. Even saw they have a new little bubble one direct on the Loy Kroh corner for the 360 view. Perhaps that is for the people and for the motorcylces doing straight across cut through to go down Loy Kroh. Who knows, and not really coincerned and 100% not worried. I am legit.

Yes, understood times are changing and cameras are in and must adjust. No problem with that, .

Is that a better more respondsible post for you now?

Have a nice day and a safe Loy Krathong!

They should install cameras at every junction with traffic lights,

to catch or deter the red light runners,I think they could recoup

the costs of cameras in a few weeks.with fines from the violators.

regards Worgeordie

Yup, and as the points lost start to add up, they'll be walking in no time at all.

They DO have points here don't they? whistling.gif

And then 1 more further down and from there with another having outlet screwed in but no actual camera. Today may be more, and as cmsally stated she saw over by Watt Prasing, so just presume CM all over on the whole. Kind of makes sense in another way as keeping a live eyeball on CM by the Self acclaimed Gov as it is a red hot spot.

And then 1 more further down and from there with another having outlet screwed in but no actual camera. Today may be more, and as cmsally stated she saw over by Watt Prasing, so just presume CM all over on the whole. Kind of makes sense in another way as keeping a live eyeball on CM by the Self acclaimed Gov as it is a red hot spot.

When you are out spotting all these cameras are you walking like cmsally or are you just plain an idiot stargazing as he rides around? do you text at the same time?

Oh, it's worse than that. The new CCTV cams are EVERYWHERE around the city now. Most of the major roads have had them installed now (not actively working yet) and more are going up. I've noticed about 20 or 30 of them so far in various places and 10 that were being added (probably are built by now).

Literally, the entire moat area and even down around Nimman is covered now. They have also started putting them on the inside of the moat on the roads there, some of them very tiny sois.

Under total surveillance is what Chiang Mai is about to be. A little creepy, but as always.... will anyone be watching them or will they even work in a year?

When you are out spotting all these cameras are you walking like cmsally or are you just plain an idiot stargazing as he rides around? do you text at the same time?

I walk the entire moat 3 times a week, starting near Doi Suthep. I have noticed them too, they are everywhere now. Once I saw the first few, I have been looking for more, and finding them.

• Like 1

Oh, it's worse than that. The new CCTV cams are EVERYWHERE around the city now. Most of the major roads have had them installed now (not actively working yet) and more are going up. I've noticed about 20 or 30 of them so far in various places and 10 that were being added (probably are built by now).

Literally, the entire moat area and even down around Nimman is covered now. They have also started putting them on the inside of the moat on the roads there, some of them very tiny sois.

Under total surveillance is what Chiang Mai is about to be. A little creepy, but as always.... will anyone be watching them or will they even work in a year?

Seems like they need them more on certain islands than in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Are those cameras attached to buildings ?

No, they are all on poles holding the spaghetti cables up. There are 2 cams per station, pointing each direction down the road.

hooray! someone has noticed that they are POLES!

The extra weight of the cameras plus the zillion metres of cable must be putting a strain on the city's communications.

Actually northernjohn, I can tell you what was in and how it looked in CM over 20+++ years ago. How northern enlightened are you really?

It would be interesting to compare the findings of what you guys & girls are reporting for the mass of cameras inside CM with that of other Red cities like Khon Kaen Etc, then compared with cities that were allegiant to the other color. May be stated under the purpose of one guise having the real first movement being the other.

It would be interesting to compare the findings of what you guys & girls are reporting for the mass of cameras inside CM with that of other Red cities like Khon Kaen Etc, then compared with cities that were allegiant to the other color. May be stated under the purpose of one guise having the real first movement being the other.

You may have a point, but I think surveillance - to the degree of being Orwellian - is a worldwide phenomenon.

These CCTV systems are installed in the name of road safety and public security, but they could be used in a bewildering array of creative ways by governments.

The prophetic novels of Huxley, Kafka, and Orwell outlined many of the possibilities available to states with access to high technology.

Actually northernjohn, I can tell you what was in and how it looked in CM over 20+++ years ago. How northern enlightened are you really?

Enlightened enough to know that some one riding around staring into trees is not a good driver? I don't care if you can tell me about 100 years ago. You are still an accident looking for a place to happen or a passerby causing one.

I base that on common sense and you failed to claim you were walking around like cmsally.