Air Asia could learn something from Thai Smile

jko

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no problem with AirAsia. Flew domestic AirAsia for the first time last June and the only negative was the legroom.

My wife and I return to LOS next week and I've booked three domestic AirAsia flights but seated in premium 1D and 1E this time for an extra £10 per person per flight. Bargain.

I flew with Thai Smile from BKK to PNH. I only used them so wouldn't have to go through immigration and activate my Thai visa.

Never again! Their legroom is horrendous, I wouldn't be able to sit there comfortably without my knees being pushed deeply into the front seat. How can they charge premium and get away with this? I'm not short (187 cms) but not too tall either.

On the way back I flew Airasia and it was much better legroom-wise.

And what is it with the guys who can't add up the fees? I agree that the payment fee is cheeky cause it is unavoidable. But not everyone needs luggage (visa runners, weekend trips etc) so why not get a discount for that?

Even with all the fees Airasia is often the cheapest.

Don't think Thai Smile fly to PNH (Phnom Penh -Cambodia)

These flights seem to be operated under the THAI brand but you still get a Thai Smile plane. I booked a flight to Cambodia from Europe with THAI and changed planes in BKK.

That is why I use tiger air fares were good service awesome change flight date online free as many times as you like. Hate that Cebu bought the Clark route to BKK and shut it down then doubled cost or fare, hate fricken Manila.

Edited by Strangebrew

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I flew with Thai Smile from BKK to PNH. I only used them so wouldn't have to go through immigration and activate my Thai visa.

Never again! Their legroom is horrendous, I wouldn't be able to sit there comfortably without my knees being pushed deeply into the front seat. How can they charge premium and get away with this? I'm not short (187 cms) but not too tall either.

On the way back I flew Airasia and it was much better legroom-wise.

And what is it with the guys who can't add up the fees? I agree that the payment fee is cheeky cause it is unavoidable. But not everyone needs luggage (visa runners, weekend trips etc) so why not get a discount for that?

Even with all the fees Airasia is often the cheapest.

I would say that 187 cm IS tall, particularly in Asian countries.

I flew with my girlfriend to Udon Thani last year with Bangkok Air and they were cheaper than Air Asia. We didn't have to pay for a meal on the plane plus we got a 20 kg baggage allowance included. I've been looking at flight to Chiang Mai for next year and at present, Bangkok Air are only around 1,000 baht more expensive than Air Asia so unless something drastic changes, we'll be flying with them again. Also, Don Muang is on the wrong side of Bangkok for me so Suwarnabumi is much more conventient.

Alan

I said not too tall :). So if Thai Smile wants to be a premium budget carrier (?!) how come they squeeze in more seats then a proper budget carrier like ThaiAirasia? This has nothing to do with Asians being smaller, it's about why should I pay more to have even less legroom. To get a chicken sandwich for free? Thanks, I can do 55 minutes without food.

An interesting use of the word ''coy.''

artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
shy; modest.
showing reluctance, especially when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand:
The mayor was coy about his future political aspirations.
Archaic. disdainful; aloof.

Indeed the definition of the word ''coy'' in connection to the police farce force is somewhat apt with the exclusion of number 2 of course.

Ive flown regularly with Air asia for 6 years , Penang -BKK or Hay Yai - Bangkok probably 10 return flights a ear. Now they did get on my tits a bit , so I tried Nok who were utter shit , I also tried Thai form Pen to BKK , not a great deal given away for 900RM

So Ive realised my problems with air asia was that I'd used them for so long and had built up a whinge list , that seemed a lot but for 60 to 70 flights wasn't that bad

You don't get add ons unless you ask for them , if you cannot negotiate there website , that is hardly their fault

Edited by ExPratt

For us lesser mortals who have to watch out baht, airasia is the best and cheapest, most punctual.

You must play be their rules, if the website foxes you go to a travel agent, it will still be much cheaper than competitors.

I regularly fly Bangkok to udon thani for 200baht and Hatyai for 250 baht

200 thb ? Dont feel ridiculous to say such BS ?

No, 3 pax UTH-DMK-UTH

Flight

3 Guest 0.00 THB

Airport Tax 450.00 THB

Sub Total 450.00 THB

Services & Fees

1 x Direct Debit Processing Fee 40.00 THB

Value Added Tax 2.80 THB

Sub Total 42.80 THB

Total Amount 492.80 THB

Total VAT 2.80 THB

Total Paid 492.80 THB

shy; modest.
showing reluctance, especially when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand:

Indeed the definition of the word ''coy'' in connection to the police farce force is somewhat apt with the exclusion of number 2 of course.

Ive flown regularly with Air asia for 6 years , Penang -BKK or Hay Yai - Bangkok probably 10 return flights a ear. Now they did get on my tits a bit , so I tried Nok who were utter shit , I also tried Thai form Pen to BKK , not a great deal given away for 900RM

So Ive realised my problems with air asia was that I'd used them for so long and had built up a whinge list , that seemed a lot but for 60 to 70 flights wasn't that bad

You don't get add ons unless you ask for them , if you cannot negotiate there website , that is hardly their fault

I am afraid you miss the point.

You don't ask Air Asia for add ons, you get them unless you take special care to avoid them.

For that reason, the web site is misleading - whose fault is that?

• Like 1

I said not too tall smile.png. So if Thai Smile wants to be a premium budget carrier (?!) how come they squeeze in more seats then a proper budget carrier like ThaiAirasia? This has nothing to do with Asians being smaller, it's about why should I pay more to have even less legroom. To get a chicken sandwich for free? Thanks, I can do 55 minutes without food.

AirAsia is a full-on, low-cost carrier. Thai Smile is the low-budget traveler operation of Thai Airways (more expensive)

AirAsia doesn't have offices apart from at the airports they serve. Thai Smile uses Thai Airways offices (higher overheads).

AirAsia online booking makes just about everything optional and/or chargeable. Thai Smile uses a standard online airline booking format (more all-inclusive, higher-cost options).

AirAsia makes you pay for onboard food purchases. Thai Smile grub is complimentary (increased overhead again).

AirAsia never use air bridges, always park on stands and use buses. Thai Smile can use air bridges (incurs airport fees).

Therefore AirAsia makes large savings in sales, logistics and support services and extra money of selling 'extras'. So they have nice leather seats with a decent seat pitch. They don't count solely on bums on seats to make a profit hence more room.

Whereas Thai Smile uses a shorter seat pitch for MOST of their seats so they can accommodate more pax in a similar-sized plane. They need more bums on seats to make a profit hence more seats.

Edited by NanLaew

Jetstar (aka s**tstar) is just as duplicitous and unethical as Air Asia in its charges and so-called cheap flight promotions. You really have to focus on the fine print and conditions to get a realistic idea of the real costs once the hidden fees and charges are exposed.

I recently booked return flights from Bangkok to Darwin and initially went to Jetstar to do the costings. I then went to SIA/Silk Air and by the time all the necessary (not just a wish list) add-ons to the base fare - you know, seating, luggage, taxes, fuel surcharge, etc. for Jetstar were factored in the SIA/Silk Air option was a few dollars more. Guess which airline won hands down?

So for a comparable fare we get 30kg luggage allowance, full service, efficiency and comfort.

For the Lampang-Bangkok return trip we have and always will use Bangkok Airways, despite Nok Air joining the route recently.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I think all the stuff you mentioned doesn't even come close to the huge price difference.

"they need more bums to make a profit" ...What? They already charge like 1-3,000 Baht more to make a profit. If anything, they should need LESS bums.

The air bridges statement is also untrue for many international AA flights.

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

shy; modest.

I am afraid you miss the point.

You don't ask Air Asia for add ons, you get them unless you take special care to avoid them.

For that reason, the web site is misleading - whose fault is that?

Agree some of them are a bit unclear when you first use the site, but the " Amount Due" shows the final price , if its added on extras you need to go back and delete them. Their best one is to purchase 20k bag charge for you , but you can set it up so that you always get 0kg and then change it if you need to. The insurance one used to be a bit tricky but they have made it a yes/no option now. Ive used them for years , not perfect but consistently better than most of whats out there

They operate from two completely different business models, so I doubt Air Asia is going to learn anything from your experience with Thai Smile

Why is it that everyone has such a hard time with the AirAsia booking site? It isn't rocket surgery to use.

Anyway, nice to hear you had a good experience with Thai Smile... Best of luck to you

I am not sure that Air Asia will learn anything from anyone. Remember....what goes up comes down.

I see from your profile you are at Jalan Bukit Bintang

maybe you could pass up the information that few are satisfied.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I said not too tall smile.png. So if Thai Smile wants to be a premium budget carrier (?!) how come they squeeze in more seats then a proper budget carrier like ThaiAirasia? This has nothing to do with Asians being smaller, it's about why should I pay more to have even less legroom. To get a chicken sandwich for free? Thanks, I can do 55 minutes without food.

Actually, the seats on Thai smile are less than on Thai air asia.

Thai smile seat allocation: 29 rows, 174 seats

Thai Air Asia seat allocation: 30 rows, 180 seats

I have been a regular user of Air Asia since 2009 and not had any "surprise" problems, good pricing (that is IMPORTANT to me) and happy to use them.

Never used Thai Smile so cannot compare them for overseas flights outside SE Asia.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I have used Air Asia since they started in Thailand and I've noticed they have become more efficient in turning around flights and their on time record is very good (obviously operating out of Don Muang helps). My one gripe is that they eliminated the 15 kg luggage option and the 20 kg price is a bit expensive. One great improvement is that you no longer have to go to check-in counter if you print your boarding pass online and just have a carry-on bag.

I noticed with NOK that they took an hour to turn the plane around in Hat Yai.

The only major winge I have with Airasia is their use of Busses at the airport in many cases rather than a gate , form landing to immigration at DM can be about 25 minutes

I forgot to add this. Several Air Asia sales offices exist. If you are unsure of what you are doing on their website, you can buy a ticket there and tell them to cancel out the baggage, meal and insurance option. You may not get a "special deal" that you see online....but the price is pretty close to normal.. Perhaps 100 baht over.

Yup, plenty of domestic flights use airbridges, e.g. HKT, DMK

And now that KLIA2 is open, all flights through KL get a gate with airbridges

And plenty of domestic flights don't use airbridges, eg. UTH-DMK.

The opening of KLIA2 was partly delayed due to LCC's being compelled to use the airbridges. Mr Fernandes resisted that for ages as it was an add-on charge that they never had as the sole carrier operating out of the barn old LCC terminal.

• Like 1

I think all the stuff you mentioned doesn't even come close to the huge price difference.

"they need more bums to make a profit" ...What? They already charge like 1-3,000 Baht more to make a profit. If anything, they should need LESS bums.

The air bridges statement is also untrue for many international AA flights.

Huge price difference? Maybe on some 'premium' domestic routes like Krabi and Phuket but based on my recent experience when selecting carriers to Udon, AirAsia were more expensive than Thai Smile (as we had baggage) and Bangkok Air trumped them both. Nok of course was cheapest with more flights but nobody in my group likes DMK too much (smart bunch).

I will take your comment on airbridges being used on many AirAsia international flights as gospel as I have only ever used them once to KUL and back and that was a bus at BKK (when they were based there) and walk at the LCC barn (when theye were based there). However, I wouldn't be too surprised that some of the less traveled hops to less developed countries, if there's an option not to use the jetway and save a few bob, they will make you walk.

I said not too tall. So if Thai Smile wants to be a premium budget carrier (?!) how come they squeeze in more seats then a proper budget carrier like ThaiAirasia? This has nothing to do with Asians being smaller, it's about why should I pay more to have even less legroom. To get a chicken sandwich for free? Thanks, I can do 55 minutes without food.

Actually, the seats on Thai smile are less than on Thai air asia.

Thai smile seat allocation: 29 rows, 174 seats

Thai Air Asia seat allocation: 30 rows, 180 seats

Once again, apples and oranges. Although similar size and even possibly same model, AirAsia's cabin layout is entirely different from Thai Smile's. From partitions, galleys to the dunny's, there's no common configuration. When it comes to seat pitch (distance between seats), AirAsia has more room between seat rows than Thai Smile... probably because they took out a whole row of seats.

There may be less seats on Thai Smile because they have to store food and other freebies whereas the diners on AirAsia are undeniably very few. Maybe Air Asia can afford to have a few more empty seats than Thai Smile because the latter's profit margins are smaller having to serve food, albeit a small bun and a bottle of water.

Anyway, AirAsia fully embraces the LCC model whereas Thai Smile is a budget airline. Apples and oranges.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

They operate from two completely different business models, so I doubt Air Asia is going to learn anything from your experience with Thai Smile

Why is it that everyone has such a hard time with the AirAsia booking site? It isn't rocket surgery to use.

Anyway, nice to hear you had a good experience with Thai Smile... Best of luck to you

We are not talking here about business models, but business ethics.

Air Asia operate on a similar 'Bait and Switch' technique long-favoured by some dubious Indian tailor shops, whereby the price they feature as a lure, rarely matches the final product you wish to buy. Agreed, it may not be rocket science for savvy travellers, but for older people and first-timers, the Air Asia web site is misleading, unethical, and in my book, unacceptable. As a finale, and after avoiding all the add-on pricing snares, to be forced to pay them more just to be able to pay, sums up their level of integrity.

If an airline is a slickly operated and profitable company, which Air Asia is indeed, then chapeau, and well done. And for those smart enough to grab the super-cheapies, good luck.

At the end of the day, it is not what you do to be successful, but how openly and honestly you do it. For me, that is important - and the reason I try whenever possible, to avoid travelling with Air Asia. I have no doubt others feel the same way.

My sentiments exactly! Personally, I will always reward an honest easy-to-deal-with vendor with my loyalty, even if it costs me a couple of extra Baht. But looking at AA's success, I'm clearly part of a minority.

For us lesser mortals who have to watch out baht, airasia is the best and cheapest, most punctual.

You must play be their rules, if the website foxes you go to a travel agent, it will still be much cheaper than competitors.

I regularly fly Bangkok to udon thani for 200baht and Hatyai for 250 baht

We are discussing REAL airplane flights, not those that are alcohol induced. 200 baht? Must be quite a broom.....

• Like 1

As alluded to in a couple of posts - there is a way to opt out of the excess baggage by default when making an AirAsia booking.

Register as a member and complete the profile. There is a section which allows you to choose whether you travel with baggage or not, and whether you want travel insurance or not.

My flying style
Let us know your flying style to book faster. You can always edit your style later during booking.
I always carry
Please select No checked baggage Check-In Baggage - 15kg Check-In Baggage - 20kg Check-In Baggage - 25kg Check-In Baggage - 30kg Check-In Baggage - 40kg
AirAsia Insure Travel Protection
Yes please!
No, thank you

We are not talking here about business models, but business ethics.

Air Asia operate on a similar 'Bait and Switch' technique long-favoured by some dubious Indian tailor shops, whereby the price they feature as a lure, rarely matches the final product you wish to buy. Agreed, it may not be rocket science for savvy travellers, but for older people and first-timers, the Air Asia web site is misleading, unethical, and in my book, unacceptable. As a finale, and after avoiding all the add-on pricing snares, to be forced to pay them more just to be able to pay, sums up their level of integrity.

If an airline is a slickly operated and profitable company, which Air Asia is indeed, then chapeau, and well done. And for those smart enough to grab the super-cheapies, good luck.

At the end of the day, it is not what you do to be successful, but how openly and honestly you do it. For me, that is important - and the reason I try whenever possible, to avoid travelling with Air Asia. I have no doubt others feel the same way.

"AirAsia do not have a fuel surcharge"

HA! From CNX to OOL the fuel surcharge is AU$73.70 EACH WAY!!!

Also, if you don't want to hang around KUL terminal all day and take the afternoon flight, it is $122.00 extra.

The fuel surcharge only applies to AirAsiaX from KUL to OOL. There is no fuel surcharge on the AirAsia flight to or from CNX.

I have used Air Asia since they started in Thailand and I've noticed they have become more efficient in turning around flights and their on time record is very good (obviously operating out of Don Muang helps). My one gripe is that they eliminated the 15 kg luggage option and the 20 kg price is a bit expensive. One great improvement is that you no longer have to go to check-in counter if you print your boarding pass online and just have a carry-on bag.

I noticed with NOK that they took an hour to turn the plane around in Hat Yai.

The only major winge I have with Airasia is their use of Busses at the airport in many cases rather than a gate , form landing to immigration at DM can be about 25 minutes

Nok's turnround time at HDY is 30 mins. As for ops at DMK, it is normal for AirAsia to use airbridges the same as Nok and Thai Lion - the use of buses would be the exception rather than the rule.

The good thing about AirAsia is that their add-ons are optional. The same can't be said for NOK, where the add-ons are compulsory.

Edited by rajyindee

I thought air bridges would be normal for Air Asia at Don Muang but most of the flights I have taken from there leave from the lower level where you take buses to the planes. Also 50% of the time (for me) there is no air bridge on return either. Just last week I returned from Bali on a full plane which parked in an area next to terminal where the air bridge had been removed and it was a long bus ride to Immigration. Hopefully when Terminal 2 opens this will improve.