Air Asia could learn something from Thai Smile

jko

I flew with Thai Smile from BKK to PNH. I only used them so wouldn't have to go through immigration and activate my Thai visa.

Never again! Their legroom is horrendous, I wouldn't be able to sit there comfortably without my knees being pushed deeply into the front seat. How can they charge premium and get away with this? I'm not short (187 cms) but not too tall either.

On the way back I flew Airasia and it was much better legroom-wise.

And what is it with the guys who can't add up the fees? I agree that the payment fee is cheeky cause it is unavoidable. But not everyone needs luggage (visa runners, weekend trips etc) so why not get a discount for that?

Even with all the fees Airasia is often the cheapest.

Yeah but can you earn frequent flyer miles with AirAsia? Nope.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flight

3 Guest 0.00 THB

Airport Tax 450.00 THB

Sub Total 450.00 THB

Services & Fees

1 x Direct Debit Processing Fee 40.00 THB

Value Added Tax 2.80 THB

Sub Total 42.80 THB

Total Amount 492.80 THB

Total VAT 2.80 THB

Total Paid 492.80 THB

Direct debit processing fees are illegal in Canada, those costs must be included in the price of the ticket.

For us lesser mortals who have to watch out baht, airasia is the best and cheapest, most punctual.

You must play be their rules, if the website foxes you go to a travel agent, it will still be much cheaper than competitors.

I regularly fly Bangkok to udon thani for 200baht and Hatyai for 250 baht

We are discussing REAL airplane flights, not those that are alcohol induced. 200 baht? Must be quite a broom.....

Actually those flight do exist. See what you are missing out on...over a bun and a bottle of water? Best time to check for those deals are early in the morning....4 am on Mondays.

"Not worthy" !!!!

w00t.gif

Really? I only heard a few people complain About the Air Asia web site. I think they actually clicked through without reading the polite questions, which made the price closer to advertised. Or perhaps not savvy people at all. Airline companies have no similarities to vendors.... Saying, "They are not worthy of your patronage" is kind of only hurting yourself....as savvy travelers will always look for bargains. Why limit your options? Sometimes you need to arrive at a particular time, and there are only a few airlines at some domestic airports to choose from.

Go google "cheap tickets" and see how this plays out over almost any smaller airline in the world. The price quoted is only an indication. Cebu Pacific sends me really weird "Special Prices"....but I know very well that the fees are never included...for example. Not actually lying...or dishonest. Just your perception. Child's play, buying tickets online...actually. I go for the bargains, as I am a frequent flyer. If I stuck with just one airlines (like Thai Smile)...I would lose thousands of baht over the period of one year.

However, if you feel you are a winner, by paying more....up 2 u whistling.gif

In fact...that leaves more seats open for me on Air Asia.....and more deals. thumbsup.gif

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

The following info was taken from this website: http://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards_2013/lowcost2013.htm

"AirAsia enjoys a repeat success with the airline being named the World's Best Low-Cost Airline at the 2013 World Airline Awards, held at the Paris Air Show. The World Airline Awards are a global benchmark of airline excellence."

-and-

"It is an honour to be ranked as Asia and the World’s Best Low Cost Airline for the fifth time in a row"

Give credit where credit is due. One person's opinion will not change world opinion.

I looked for something similar for Thai Smile...but not even in the rankings... for now.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I have used Air Asia since they started in Thailand and I've noticed they have become more efficient in turning around flights and their on time record is very good (obviously operating out of Don Muang helps). My one gripe is that they eliminated the 15 kg luggage option and the 20 kg price is a bit expensive. One great improvement is that you no longer have to go to check-in counter if you print your boarding pass online and just have a carry-on bag.

I noticed with NOK that they took an hour to turn the plane around in Hat Yai.

The only major winge I have with Airasia is their use of Busses at the airport in many cases rather than a gate , form landing to immigration at DM can be about 25 minutes

Nok's turnround time at HDY is 30 mins. As for ops at DMK, it is normal for AirAsia to use airbridges the same as Nok and Thai Lion - the use of buses would be the exception rather than the rule.

The good thing about AirAsia is that their add-ons are optional. The same can't be said for NOK, where the add-ons are compulsory.

"Nok's turnround time at HDY is 30 mins."
It wasnt the day I was there

Booked with Air Asia recently, I booked a $135 base fare flight, total cost including card fee was about $137

Untick baggage if you dont need it

Untick insurance

Skip picking your seat, cost was an extra $10 for me

Skip meal selection if you dont need it, ill be sleeping most of my flight then having Christmas lunch so i didnt need it

If you have an international credit card, see if the fare is cheaper in other currencies

With Australia $, you can pay in paypal to avoid card charges but they addon a few dollars to the base fare to offset that, it was cheaper to pay in THB or RM + $2-3 card fee

AA is not for everyone though, overweight fusspots who carry around loads of baggage and must constantly be eating or drinking something who like to complain and pick faults for example

Edited by Jdiddy

It was either that or a complete lack of urgency from the Nok staff

Quite possibly, but their scheduled turnaround time is 30 mins. Maybe they arrived early?

I got into Bangkok 40 minutes later than scheduled. The first time Ive used them for a long time so may have been a one off

Flight

3 Guest 0.00 THB

Airport Tax 450.00 THB

Sub Total 450.00 THB

Services & Fees

Value Added Tax 2.80 THB

Sub Total 42.80 THB

Total Amount 492.80 THB

Total VAT 2.80 THB

Total Paid 492.80 THB

Direct debit processing fees are illegal in Canada, those costs must be included in the price of the ticket.

Direct debit processing fees are legal in Thailand, those costs must be clearly itemized in the make-up price of the ticket.

So a Canuck and a Thai would pay the same in the end for an equivalent airfare.

Next?

I've never taken Air Asia but I have taken Thai Smile and while I have been critical of Thai Airways, Thai Smile was a good experience for me. Booking was easy, the flight was the cheapest out of all the other carriers and the staff was nice. Absolutely no leg room and I am not a tall man but what can one expect on a low cost carrier. It was only a 50 minute flight and I got a small meal which I didn't have to pay extra for as well.

Please inform us of your version of LOW COST.???? THAI SMIKE is not cheaper at all. Other airlines offer more.

I flew with Thai Smile from BKK to PNH. I only used them so wouldn't have to go through immigration and activate my Thai visa.

Never again! Their legroom is horrendous, I wouldn't be able to sit there comfortably without my knees being pushed deeply into the front seat. How can they charge premium and get away with this? I'm not short (187 cms) but not too tall either.

On the way back I flew Airasia and it was much better legroom-wise.

And what is it with the guys who can't add up the fees? I agree that the payment fee is cheeky cause it is unavoidable. But not everyone needs luggage (visa runners, weekend trips etc) so why not get a discount for that?

Even with all the fees Airasia is often the cheapest.

Yeah but can you earn frequent flyer miles with AirAsia? Nope.

AirAsia has a loyalty points program.

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=448

• Like 1

It was either that or a complete lack of urgency from the Nok staff

Quite possibly, but their scheduled turnaround time is 30 mins. Maybe they arrived early?

I got into Bangkok 40 minutes later than scheduled. The first time Ive used them for a long time so may have been a one off

In other words, your departure was delayed. Happens all the time to all airlines for a whole host of reasons.

Flight

3 Guest 0.00 THB

Airport Tax 450.00 THB

Sub Total 450.00 THB

Services & Fees

Value Added Tax 2.80 THB

Sub Total 42.80 THB

Total Amount 492.80 THB

Total VAT 2.80 THB

Total Paid 492.80 THB

40 baht ??? are we losing sleep over 40 baht now? sounds like the poster who got overcharged 5 baht for a slice of pineapple at the market.

As far as Canada having different laws than Thailand...well... yeah. Same like you won't get a lot of chili in your curry in Canada as well.

For us lesser mortals who have to watch out baht, airasia is the best and cheapest, most punctual.

You must play be their rules, if the website foxes you go to a travel agent, it will still be much cheaper than competitors.

I regularly fly Bangkok to udon thani for 200baht and Hatyai for 250 baht

200 thb ? Dont feel ridiculous to say such BS ?

My last flight udon thani to Bangkok at end of August - 196 baht. Hatyai is 300baht.

There is a big sale starting at 1am tonight too if you are card member, 24 hours later if you are not.

post-190319-0-82695900-1415438072_thumb.

Edited by parmo2

Last night I bought udon thani to Bangkok return trip for 150 baht. If you don't have a AA credit card you must also pay Cc charge however.

You can keep your 2 inches extra legroom and unnecessary snack for which you pay 2000 baht plus, your choice. Snobbery costs and jealousy of others who get the same journey at a fraction of the cost makes me laugh. Even if it involves ticking extra boxes.