Stoping after the line on red lights law..

mataleo

No road rage, respect insistance and I don't let the Thai mafia intimidate me. You get more respect from Thai's not letting them roll over you as is the case with many cultures to be honest.

I get u.

But it might escalate

Have look

Basically what it says is wheelchair guy was driving and lory comes wrong way they start argue and lory drive in and crash disabled guy car. Police come and force farang sign paper its his fault. And big police man not even talk to him etc... Pattaya...

Edited by mataleo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's always a key to knowing what action to take and how far you can push. In any instance never being a door mat is a good thing and I can't speak to some random case.

Here just yesterday I was driving and a guy in a Jeep swerved half way into my lane to avoid a car in his lane that turned in front of him. I swerved too to avoid him and wasn't upset with the guy who avoided the other idiot, he did what he had to do.

When he swerved I noticed his drivers door almost came open, I ran up next to him to tell him but he was a gang banging looking dude with his music up loud and was completely ignoring me and acting as if I wasn't there so I ran up further in my lane so I was more in front and he couldn't miss me waving. I shouted and pointed to his door thinking the moron would turn down his crap wrap music long enough to hear what I had to say. He kept driving acting totally oblivious and then when we got up to the next light I had given up on trying to tell him and was 2 lanes over from him and he pulls up and holds up his middle finger and just sits there with it pointing at me. I was both miffed and mystified at the stupidity of this thug but now also pissed off. Finally I just left him behind hoping if there was a God he'd fall out of his open door and went on my way and at the next light as I moved over into a turn lane he came by again and honked and shot the bird again, my boys were in the car too, I was flipping mad. You try to do a good thing for someone and people are so uptight they can't even be bothered to lower their crap wrap music for a second to hear when someone is trying to do them a favor and they end up flipping you off to boot. Now he deserved to be shot IMO.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Well there's always a key to knowing what action to take and how far you can push. In any instance never being a door mat is a good thing and I can't speak to some random case.

Here just yesterday I was driving and a guy in a Jeep swerved half way into my lane to avoid a car in his lane that turned in front of him. I swerved too to avoid him and wasn't upset with the guy who avoided the other idiot, he did what he had to do.

When he swerved I noticed his drivers door almost came open, I ran up next to him to tell him but he was a gang banging looking dude with his music up loud and was completely ignoring me and acting as if I wasn't there so I ran up further in my lane so I was more in front and he couldn't miss me waving. I shouted and pointed to his door thinking the moron would turn down his crap wrap music long enough to hear what I had to say. He kept driving acting totally oblivious and then when we got up to the next light I had given up on trying to tell him and was 2 lanes over from him and he pulls up and holds up his middle finger and just sits there with it pointing at me. I was both miffed and mystified at the stupidity of this thug but now also pissed off. Finally I just left him behind hoping if there was a God he'd fall out of his open door and went on my way and at the next light as I moved over into a turn lane he came by again and honked and shot the bird again, my boys were in the car too, I was flipping mad. You try to do a good thing for someone and people are so uptight they can't even be bothered to lower their crap wrap music for a second to hear when someone is trying to do them a favor and they end up flipping you off to boot. Now he deserved to be shot IMO.

My advice dont get involved and try help. Its nit good thing here. And if things go wrong they will blame you for it...

Those Bikers are a pest ,they get in front of You then dither about, blocking your acceleration from the lights

cheesy.gif Cars are almost always slower as bikes at the lights. Actually they should ban cars with one person in it. Make them ride bikes. Would improve the traffic flow a lot.

I have never ever had a car (even on my scooter) accelerate faster as me from the lights. The times i watch it the bikes are always gone before the cars. Sure we wait a little bit after it turned green but that is because there are so many idiot car drivers that run red lights. (far more dangerous then a bike lingering a bit at the green light)

Except that a 2 stroke scooter puts out about twice the emissions as a modern car does. Your post is a complete contradiction as well.. Cars have to be slower to avoid the scooters and because unlike the scooters they can't all run up between and around the cars. Running red lights is necessary to get ANY cars through the intersection that's all blocked up with scooters.

2 stroke scooters ? last i checked the scooters here are not 2 stroke. Totally different god that is a stupid remark warpy. (there might be a few real old ones but majority is not) far less emissions as modern cars far less fuel consumption.

Then remark about running lights.. damm stupidity rules Warpy.. running a light is never justified. That is why some smarter scooter riders stay foot a bit after the green light because there are idiots that run the red light.

My advice dont get involved and try help. Its nit good thing here. And if things go wrong they will blame you for it...

It wasn't there but it's my nature to try to help people, just like here just because of a few similar posters to that jerk, I won't let them keep me from helping people who need it whenever possible.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Who says an IDP is not required?

IDP is in nearly all cases not required.

Different era then I guess, when I went there originally it was mandatory.

Unless your name is Karl Benz, no.

According to all the references I read up on before leaving the states it was, you can argue that point all you want since you aren't me it still remains a fact and it is not debatable. I'm not accustomed to going to a country and questioning THEIR laws and defying their police, I find that not only arrogant but pretentious and rude and it won't score me any points with them, I prepared and was prepared so I never had any problems or need to confront any police officer as i has all the necessary procedures covered and it really was very easy and only cost me $10 at the AAA near me so no reason to take an unnecessary chance and make my life difficult in another country. There is a proverb that says "lights don't stop vehicles, people do, so still better to look both ways and live rather then assume they'll stop and get killed being right". Same thinking applies, you can be right but still piss of the wrong cop and you can die being right or go to jail, problems I don't need in ANY country let alone a foreign one that also has questionable human rights.

Those Bikers are a pest ,they get in front of You then dither about, blocking your acceleration from the lights

cheesy.gif Cars are almost always slower as bikes at the lights. Actually they should ban cars with one person in it. Make them ride bikes. Would improve the traffic flow a lot.

I have never ever had a car (even on my scooter) accelerate faster as me from the lights. The times i watch it the bikes are always gone before the cars. Sure we wait a little bit after it turned green but that is because there are so many idiot car drivers that run red lights. (far more dangerous then a bike lingering a bit at the green light)

Except that a 2 stroke scooter puts out about twice the emissions as a modern car does. Your post is a complete contradiction as well.. Cars have to be slower to avoid the scooters and because unlike the scooters they can't all run up between and around the cars. Running red lights is necessary to get ANY cars through the intersection that's all blocked up with scooters.

2 stroke scooters ? last i checked the scooters here are not 2 stroke. Totally different god that is a stupid remark warpy. (there might be a few real old ones but majority is not) far less emissions as modern cars far less fuel consumption.

Then remark about running lights.. damm stupidity rules Warpy.. running a light is never justified. That is why some smarter scooter riders stay foot a bit after the green light because there are idiots that run the red light.

Didn't justify anything Rob, merely gave the reasoning behind it. On the topic of scooter engines, sorry Rob you're way off base, they are far dirtier then the modern car and that is a fact that has been a concern for a long time in Asia due to the economic impact and number of scooters on the road. Still plenty of 2 stroke scooters in Thailand and all over Asia.

Edited by WarpSpeed

According to all the references I read up on before leaving the states it was, you can argue that point all you want since you aren't me it still remains a fact and it is not debatable. I'm not accustomed to going to a country and questioning THEIR laws and defying their police, I find that not only arrogant but pretentious and rude and it won't score me any points with them, I prepared and was prepared so I never had any problems or need to confront any police officer as i has all the necessary procedures covered and it really was very easy and only cost me $10 at the AAA near me so no reason to take an unnecessary chance and make my life difficult in another country. There is a proverb that says "lights don't stop vehicles, people do, so still better to look both ways and live rather then assume they'll stop and get killed being right". Same thinking applies, you can be right but still piss of the wrong cop and you can die being right or go to jail, problems I don't need in ANY country let alone a foreign one that also has questionable human rights.

Wow, all that just because you have the wrong information.

No all of that just because I research and prepare myself and don't have to come on an internet site to ask people if it's a scam or not? Don't want to sit on the side of the road or go to a police station and educate a stupid cop about the Geneva convention, my time is worth more then that.

Didn't justify anything Rob, merely gave the reasoning behind it. On the topic of scooter engines, sorry Rob you're way off base, they are far dirtier then the modern car and that is a fact that has been a concern for a long time in Asia due to the economic impact and number of scooters on the road. Still plenty of 2 stroke scooters in Thailand and all over Asia.

Sorry warpy.. your way of base on the amount of 2 strokes.. and the 4 strokes here are cleaner as cars. Bikes are far better as cars emission wise.. not to mention space wise. Using scooters should be encouraged it would solve a lot of problems. Cars should only be driven with 2 or more occupants or else fined. That would really do wonders for congestion. Seriously in Thailand cars are the problems.

Did a trip on my big bike and with my small bike today.. on both occasions it would have taken up to 3 times the travel time had i taken a car. (i was not speeding) Bikes are a great convenience and getting past all the blockages by cars.. just great.

Lights, 2Stroke ,4Stroke or Kok Stroke those Chuc Chasers are still a freakin pest. Big Bikes are no prob, never slow your takeoff.biggrin.png

With the big bike.. i also don't go straight after green.. still no problem going faster as the cars of course. Thing is its really unsafe to be the first off when the light turns green. As a bike because your often in front you see how often people run red lights. Its not just taking it when it turns red.. no long after that still.

No all of that just because I research and prepare myself and don't have to come on an internet site to ask people if it's a scam or not? Don't want to sit on the side of the road or go to a police station and educate a stupid cop about the Geneva convention, my time is worth more then that.

Fine, your choice.

But saying an IDP is required is simply not true.

• Like 1

It wasn't there but it's my nature to try to help people, just like here just because of a few similar posters to that jerk, I won't let them keep me from helping people who need it whenever possible.

Let me tell u my story that happened once.

I had same attitude of helping ppl.

We drove by night on sukumvit rd outside pattaya, my gf drove, then I said to her watch out I saw very far something on the road, my eyes are much better at night then hers...

First i thought its rubbish bags fell of the truck, but when we got closer i saw bike and man in the middle of the rd.

I told her to stop, and i run to the guy, he was pretty much injured and unconcious, the thais who hit him didnt even aproach, just stand on the side and making calls, So when i go to guy, after 30s, i saw car lights aproaching at speed, I had to jump to the row, on the side of the road not to be hit, and other thai girl drove again over the guy, he ended up under car, my gf was screaming she thought its me under the car. Then I left as it was all done.

But after i was told by ppl that its good I didnt touch him or drug him of the rd. b cuz if he die they would blame me that I killed him or touched him....

@mataleo: don't believe everything people tell you. If you provide first aid to an injured person, you won't be found guilty by police or court for that, to the contrary. Do what is right in such a case, help the injured person.

Not in thailand.

And people had troubles for it.

Thats why thais stay away

@mataleo: don't believe everything people tell you. If you provide first aid to an injured person, you won't be found guilty by police or court for that, to the contrary. Do what is right in such a case, help the injured person.

Not in thailand.

OK, so tell me what law here says that you are not allowed to help an injured person? Fortunately I never came across anyone seriously injured, only one boy that drove his motorbike into a ditch and had a broken leg and some minor scratches when I was travelling in Issan and I helped him out of the ditch and drove him to the next tambon hospital. So what would you do in such a case? Just leave someone and drive on? We are all humans and if someone is in need and I can help, I will do so.

Not in thailand.

OK, so tell me what law here says that you are not allowed to help an injured person? Fortunately I never came across anyone seriously injured, only one boy that drove his motorbike into a ditch and had a broken leg and some minor scratches when I was travelling in Issan and I helped him out of the ditch and drove him to the next tambon hospital. So what would you do in such a case? Just leave someone and drive on? We are all humans and if someone is in need and I can help, I will do so.
First at all its a lawless country man.

I can give u recent example or look up what happened to disabled farang in pattaya.

And after my incident i talked to many foreginers who wanted to help and then go arrested and money was extorted in police station.

The law is against farang sort of

Not in thailand.

First at all its a lawless country man.

I can give u recent example or look up what happened to disabled farang in pattaya.

And after my incident i talked to many foreginers who wanted to help and then go arrested and money was extorted in police station.

The law is against farang sort of

Don't believr those stories.

Helping others will NOT get you into trouble.

• Like 1

Not in thailand.

Thats what i was i stoped and wanted to help in bad accident. Guy was drove over 2nd time. But after that i learned that u have to be carefull helping cuz they might blame you or u be involved.

Well one guy told me he stay on red light and guy on bike just fall on front of him. He didn't even touch him. He come out try help. Next thing police come and blame him.

Other guy i spome to drove in issan and some pretty girl lost control on bike and drove off the rd. Hit the tree and badly injure her face. He took her to hospital.

Then go police station her family co.es and they blame him and wanted 200k for her face.... He ended up paying 20k for scam.. keep in mind wasnt involved in accident at all...

Fine, your choice.

I don't know who is right or wrong, but I do know that when I went to get my first Thai DL a few days ago in Beung Kan, they specifically asked me for my IDP. I happened to have left it out in my truck so he waited while I went out to get it. They had already seen that I have an unexpired Florida DL but also asked to see my IDP. I did not ask them what would have happened if I didn't have one.

Fine, your choice.

I don't know who is right or wrong, but I do know that when I went to get my first Thai DL a few days ago in Beung Kan, they specifically asked me for my IDP. I happened to have left it out in my truck so he waited while I went out to get it. They had already seen that I have an unexpired Florida DL but also asked to see my IDP. I did not ask them what would have happened if I didn't have one.

With IDP no written or practical test required, without IDP testing is required.

BTW, getting a Thai license on the bases of home license, with or without IDP, has no bearing on the lagality of driving with or without IDP.

Many discussions here already on the IDP, in the end it is clear IDP is not required, but some people always feel the need to sprout their incorrect knowledge.

Fine, your choice.

With IDP no written or practical test required, without IDP testing is required.

BTW, getting a Thai license on the bases of home license, with or without IDP, has no bearing on the lagality of driving with or without IDP.

Many discussions here already on the IDP, in the end it is clear IDP is not required, but some people always feel the need to sprout their incorrect knowledge.

Plenty of roadblocks in this part of Thailand. The police usually ask me for a DL, but have NEVER asked to see an IDP. I used to hand the IDP to them with my Florida DL, but they have never even looked at the IDP whenever I did. They only looked at the Florida DL.

• Like 1

Plenty of roadblocks in this part of Thailand. The police usually ask me for a DL, but have NEVER asked to see an IDP. I used to hand the IDP to them with my Florida DL, but they have never even looked at the IDP whenever I did. They only looked at the Florida DL.

You have your Thai DL now, so that is sorted, but it is important to note that after 90 days a valid Thai DL is required. Home license, with or without IDP, is after 90 days not valid anymore.

• Like 1

When i lived in So Cal for a while,{Nam Era} i had a Portuguese and Brit Licence. Showed Cops the 2,they only looked at the Brit one, they never read about Portugal. Do You know a John Smith from STRATFORDSHIRE, hes a Cousin O Mine. Caution No Ticket..... Never understand why American come here realy.biggrin.png .

Not in thailand.

Thats what i was i stoped and wanted to help in bad accident. Guy was drove over 2nd time. But after that i learned that u have to be carefull helping cuz they might blame you or u be involved.

Well one guy told me he stay on red light and guy on bike just fall on front of him. He didn't even touch him. He come out try help. Next thing police come and blame him.

Other guy i spome to drove in issan and some pretty girl lost control on bike and drove off the rd. Hit the tree and badly injure her face. He took her to hospital.

Then go police station her family co.es and they blame him and wanted 200k for her face.... He ended up paying 20k for scam.. keep in mind wasnt involved in accident at all...

I think I understand where you are coming from. But to be honest, I think the chances of you ending up in such a situation are quite remote. I mean you help someone and the same person then goes to the police and blames that you have caused the injury/accident. And even if this would happen to you, there is no need to pay 20k for this to go away. You will tell the police officer that the story is untrue and fight the case in court and you can sue the other person.

Don't get sidetracked by such crazy stories that may or may not have happened. Do the right thing, if you come across an accident and you can help someone, do it.

• Like 1

Not in thailand.

I think I understand where you are coming from. But to be honest, I think the chances of you ending up in such a situation are quite remote. I mean you help someone and the same person then goes to the police and blames that you have caused the injury/accident. And even if this would happen to you, there is no need to pay 20k for this to go away. You will tell the police officer that the story is untrue and fight the case in court and you can sue the other person.

Don't get sidetracked by such crazy stories that may or may not have happened. Do the right thing, if you come across an accident and you can help someone, do it.

May b is small chances. But i saw it happend. Even mum of boy who falls from bike blamed it on farang..

So this days i just keep driving..

Not in thailand.

Oh and its not the same person who blames you. Its the bad police making things up... extortions and that

U dont get it

Its police who wants money

not victim

Edited by mataleo