Thai editorial: Time to sober up, Koh Pha-ngan

webfact

EDITORIAL
Time to sober up, Koh Pha-ngan

The Nation

The full moon parties draw hundreds of thousands to Thailand each year, but dangers are growing for locals and visitors alike

BANGKOK: -- Today brings the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar, celebrated around the country as Loy Krathong. As Thais mark the occasion by releasing krathong (floats) on water and kom loy (candlelit lanterns) into the air, thousands of tourists from around the world will tonight gather on Koh Pha-ngan in the Gulf of Thailand for a "full-moon party".

The world-famous dance festival has been held on Haad Rin Beach every month at full moon for more than three decades. The parties attract hundreds of thousands of revellers each year and have spawned gatherings at other locations on Koh Pha-ngan throughout the month.

However, Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatraphuti recently ordered authorities to ban public parties at any location except Haad Rin Beach. He cited the need to prevent crime and vice. His order comes at a time when Thailand's tourism industry and image abroad are still reeling from the killings of two British tourists on neighbouring Koh Tao.

The governor's decree is bad news for many local businesses and also for the tourists lured by the Koh Pha-ngan's reputation as a party island. Some local business operators said the ban would hit them in the pocket, though they didn't expect the impact to be severe.

However, others voiced support for the governor's decision. In a recent survey of local residents, about 70 per cent of respondents were against the proliferation of parties on the island. Before the order was issued, entrepreneurs were staging parties on the island at least 22 days per month.

Locals and visitors were complaining about the noise. Tourists who had come to the island to relax in a serene environment were being driven away by the booming beat deep into the night.

Suwit Phongsri, leader of Koh Pha-ngan's Cultural Council, said parties were being organised close to temples and communities. Daily life was disturbed by the sight of drunken tourists lying unconscious and sometimes naked in public after a long night of boozing. Such scenes greeted children on their way to school and Buddhist monks on their morning alms rounds.

The public drunkenness also places the tourists involved in

danger, making them more vulnerable to attack by criminals.

Tourism is certainly a huge source of income for Koh Pha-ngan. Last year the island welcomed more than 727,000 visitors, an increase of 36 per cent on the previous year. More than 618,000 last year were foreigners, swelling the income of local businesses.

However, the island's popularity rests on more than just its reputation as a party venue. Its beautiful beaches, pristine rainforest and tranquil Buddhist temples are a magnet for tourists.

Should party culture be allowed to shatter the serenity of those scenes, Koh Pha-ngan will lose much of its allure.

Instead, the island must strike a balance that meets the needs of all tourists and conserves the peaceful daily life of residents. Businesspeople eager to make a fast buck from tourists will only scare them away in the long run.

As hosts, the authorities and citizens share a duty to ensure visitors' safety during their stay. Meanwhile party-goers must be alerted to the potential dangers of becoming intoxicated to the point where they become prey to petty thieves or more dangerous criminals.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Time-to-sober-up-Koh-Pha-ngan-30247100.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

• Like 2

Twenty years ago I would be upset if the Government stopped all the secondary parties of the island.

Now I'm happy. laugh.png

I avoided KPN for many years, then decided to visit a week after the FMP several years ago. As we were getting off the ferry from Samui, the craziest looking characters were getting on to head elsewhere...I guess they stayed a few days after the FMP. I've never seen so many piercings in my life. Nor so many with dreadlocks.

We went to Thong Nai Pan, thinking it was a quiet beach and well away from the FM craziness. The local taxi mafia set us off the wrong way immediately. Pure criminals. We booked an expensive beach front room only to find out the resorts have rotating FM/half moon, quarter moon, BS moon parties every night. Up and down the beach, each resort having one night to host.

The music was blasting at our resort. I went out at 3am to get them to turn it down a bit only to have a Thai DJ with glazed eyes look at me and not say anything. He was out of it. There were only 5 people there and the music was incredibly loud. I complained to the resort owner the next day and they basically said "too bad". So we checked out early, as did the people in the room next to ours.

I don't think I'll ever go back. But as you say, 20 years ago or so I might have loved it. But not now. They are catering to the backpacker crowd. Which is fine if that's your style. Drugs were available everywhere.

• Like 2

We went to Thong Nai Pan, thinking it was a quiet beach and well away from the FM craziness. The local taxi mafia set us off the wrong way immediately. Pure criminals. We booked an expensive beach front room only to find out the resorts have rotating FM/half moon, quarter moon, BS moon parties every night. Up and down the beach, each resort having one night to host.

Sorry did you actually make it to Thong Nai Pan as that sounds nothing like the beach that I know, well there are occasional events that run late into the night (the school fair and beach soccer tournament are the 2 each YEAR that I can think of off the top of my head) I have never seen parties up and down the beach each night.

What you describe sounds more like Baan Tai with parties every night.

Sorry did you actually make it to Thong Nai Pan as that sounds nothing like the beach that I know, well there are occasional events that run late into the night (the school fair and beach soccer tournament are the 2 each YEAR that I can think of off the top of my head) I have never seen parties up and down the beach each night.

What you describe sounds more like Baan Tai with parties every night.

Thong Nai Pan Yai. The manager of the resort told me they rotate these parties among the resorts all the time. Maybe I was just unlucky?

The resort was packed with 20 something backpackers. Not an easy group to fit in with if you are a bit older. The people next to us were mid 30's from the UK. We had a great time with them, but we all left the next day.

Bsd, I think you must have not seen that area a few years ago, as LTT says it was then, not now. Now it is all HiSo resorts charging a fortune and with rumours of how they got the beachfront land they are now upon.

LTT, sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, horses for courses as they say. Did you not do any homework before you booked there?

I have often felt sorry for the more traditional Thai's of the island, after all it is a bit of a zoo at times. As there are all sorts of zoning policies for construction and development here, more conservative than the mainland, I guess there could be a "party" zone to keep the noise away from the locals.

Maybe if the other parties are forced to close the FMP 100 baht per person entry levied on all farangs, NOT THAIS, can be donated to the closed party organisers to show some REAL community spirit...yeah right....clap2.gif

• Like 1

Just an unofficial poll, but how many folks prefer ear-splitting music played till the wee hours of the morning, as opposed to a resort where they play easy listening at sane levels, in a romantic setting, on a clean beach, where there are sufficient (non-corrupt) police...say 1 honest policeman for every 100 tourists?

A place where there are no drug addicts nor pushers, no corrupt underpaid police, and one can feel safe, get a decent night's sleep, and have a good time like that?

NO I DO NOT WANT a Nanny State, just something resembling sanity.

TAT want's "Quality Tourists", yet the local BiB have allowed these nonsense drug parties for decades.

What's your vote?

Insane, or...

Sane?

• Like 2

If anyone wants peace and quiet on Koh Phangan, head up to Mae Haad / Koh Ma, on the NW corner, very quiet after 10 pm even during FMP time... actually very quiet all day, even when there is lots of people! thumbsup.gif

Several nice resorts there in all price ranges~! and arely do you see drunken fools there too... in fact in ten years of staying on that beach, I cannot remember running into that....

As for not so many people at this time of year, it's rainy season, so that would be a good reason... whistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

If anyone wants peace and quiet on Koh Phangan, head up to Mae Haad / Koh Ma, on the NW corner, very quiet after 10 pm even during FMP time... actually very quiet all day, even when there is lots of people! thumbsup.gif

Several nice resorts there in all price ranges~! and arely do you see drunken fools there too... in fact in ten years of staying on that beach, I cannot remember running into that....

As for not so many people at this time of year, it's rainy season, so that would be a good reason... whistling.gif

Sorry pal... that's not correct. They have their share of parties... no where was exempt.

So 747k Tourists last year, average 5 days at 100 USD per day all expenses counted (food, accommodation, drinks, drugs, transport: I am counting low).

That is only around 375 millions $.... For KPN only...

No wonder whistling.gif

5 days and 3000 baht per day are both ambitious estimates. If only the average spend was 3000 baht per day! That's where they (we) want to get to.

Sorry pal... that's not correct. They have their share of parties... no where was exempt.

I beg to disagree but I am correct... I travel and stay there often...even now I live here, even around FTM times, and never seen a rowdy party in Mae Haad, .... it's generally filled during the day with beach goers and lunch at Island View Cabana , which is probably one of the busiest lunch and afternoon places to go on any of the islands, with good food too, but by evening it's generally very quiet...

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Twenty years ago I would be upset if the Government stopped all the secondary parties of the island.

Now I'm happy. laugh.png

Yes, change of priority when getting older... whistling.gif
Koh Phangan tourism was created by the partying backpacker youngsters way back, some three decades. The legendary Full Moon Party is said to attract somewhere between 10,000 and 30,000 visitors every month; may even be more in high season, 80,000 wrist band should have been said sold for last New Year party. Closing all parties down, apart from Full Moon, may be bad for an even growing party tourism industry. The party goers comes for “parties” – not only one, however the major attraction – so why not just keep Haad Rin vicinity as “Party Zone”, and then let all others parts of Koh Phangan be “Silent Zone” or “Party Free Zone”. That could keep the multi-million-baht tourist industry income rolling for the benefit of both locals and the Thai nation – and make everybody happy. thumbsup.gif
It has been known for decades that Haad Rin is a noise place inhabited with mainly noisy party seekers, so it’s not the area to settle if you want a quiet location for meditation or whatever... It’s just like settling at the end of an airport runway – you know it will be noisy, even more as the airport traffic expands over time and so the number of operations – and then complain about noise. facepalm.gif
...And as SamuiJimmy correctly says, there are lots of other beautiful, nice and quiet locations available on Koh Phangan, well separated from noise with hills and mountains. smile.png

Thailand really needs to make up its mind what kind of tourist destination it wants to be - and what it is prepared to do to get there. Clamping down on "crime and vice" on one island while allowing it to flourish everywhere else is an empty gesture which will fool no-one.

Pattaya is another example of the identity crisis. For years local and central government bigwigs have been talking of turning the world's sex capital into a family resort. Now it appears they have given up the unequal struggle and see its future as - of all things - a regional sports "hub".

Thailand arguably has more than its fair share of aesthetic and cultural attractions, which will always be a magnet to some. But the Land of Smiles is will remain predominantly a sun, sea, sand and sex destination so long as so many ill-educated, impoverished Thai women are forced to trade their bodies to survive.

Sporadic police raids on bars and brothels have become more frequent since the military-led junta took over. But the generals are cute enough to to realise the devastating consequences of a more extensive clamp-down.

Imagine the impact if a government suddenly decided strictly to enforce the existing laws against prostitution and shut down entire "red light" districts in major tourist haunts such as Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

The flood of foreign men who flock to the Land of Smiles for some exotic slap and tickle would start to dry up almost overnight. This would hit not only the sex trade, but also many businesses which profit from tourism - hotels, taxis, restaurants, shopping malls, etc. The list is almost endless.

The high crime and accident rate is, if anything, an even bigger hurdle to making Thailand a safe place for visiting families.The Kingdom is one of the worst destinations for tourists being killed and injured on the road, while the murder rate is quadruple that of many Western countries. A rape occurs at least once every 15 minutes, according to official figures, and there are the endless muggings, robberies and tourist scams.

Turning this little lot around is going to require a lot of effort - and a great deal of time.

There is nothing wrong with wishing to improve, or even totally change, Thailand's image as a tourist destination. But first you have to change the product. And that might be too tough a battle even for the generals to win.

• Like 2

What a great piece of deflection from the real issue, namely corrupt and incompetent law enforcement by virtually every authority involved. The political powerbrokers can get things stopped and started in an instant. The article tends to suggest the parties exist because of tourist demand for them. What a superb twisting of the facts. The tourists come because that is what the island provides and is famous for. These parties have organised by the economically important families on Koh Phangan. They did not just spring out of mid-air, nor were the mega-speakers brought in by backpackers.

Yes, Thais have a problem with chicken and egg scenarios.

Obviously tourists were compelling entrepreneurs to make the parties and forcing the police to turn a blind eye to them

Thailand really needs to make up its mind what kind of tourist destination it wants to be - and what it is prepared to do to get there. Clamping down on "crime and vice" on one island while allowing it to flourish everywhere else is an empty gesture which will fool no-one.

Pattaya is another example of the identity crisis. For years local and central government bigwigs have been talking of turning the world's sex capital into a family resort. Now it appears they have given up the unequal struggle and see its future as - of all things - a regional sports "hub".

Thailand arguably has more than its fair share of aesthetic and cultural attractions, which will always be a magnet to some. But the Land of Smiles is will remain predominantly a sun, sea, sand and sex destination so long as so many ill-educated, impoverished Thai women are forced to trade their bodies to survive.

Sporadic police raids on bars and brothels have become more frequent since the military-led junta took over. But the generals are cute enough to to realise the devastating consequences of a more extensive clamp-down.

Imagine the impact if a government suddenly decided strictly to enforce the existing laws against prostitution and shut down entire "red light" districts in major tourist haunts such as Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

The flood of foreign men who flock to the Land of Smiles for some exotic slap and tickle would start to dry up almost overnight. This would hit not only the sex trade, but also many businesses which profit from tourism - hotels, taxis, restaurants, shopping malls, etc. The list is almost endless.

The high crime and accident rate is, if anything, an even bigger hurdle to making Thailand a safe place for visiting families.The Kingdom is one of the worst destinations for tourists being killed and injured on the road, while the murder rate is quadruple that of many Western countries. A rape occurs at least once every 15 minutes, according to official figures, and there are the endless muggings, robberies and tourist scams.

Turning this little lot around is going to require a lot of effort - and a great deal of time.

There is nothing wrong with wishing to improve, or even totally change, Thailand's image as a tourist destination. But first you have to change the product. And that might be too tough a battle even for the generals to win.

Thais are unable to morally judge how one makes money. If hookers make the most money, they will always chase making it that way.

Making it by having a world class resort that serves a different clientele takes hard work and planning. PAH. Hookers win

• Like 1

If Thailand wants to continue having 'quality' party-going, backpacking type tourists, then why not hold these parties in an open field somewhere like music festivals around the world. Leave the beautiful islands for the true quality tourists who predominantly are not tempted to come to Thailand for the party experience.

Fingers crossed. If even remotely true, quite a few people should lose their business; last time I counted, there were on average more than 12 public parties per month apart from FMP - and if you look for slightly less public parties on FB, it looks more like one a day, 30 a month. Half moon, black moon, Shiva moon, Loi Lay (aka boat party), Eden twice a week, Guy's bar twice a week, Shramanora waterfall, Voodoo, Jungle experience... And I'm pretty sure there's some I haven't even heard of since I don't frequent that scene.

http://phanganist.com/events

Edited by AngThong