Thailand: Food vendors warned of raising food prices

webfact

Food vendors warned of raising food prices

11-6-2014-10-34-42-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department has warned food vendors of raising food prices by citing the cooking gas price increase as a reason.

Director-general of the Department of Internal Trade Mr Boonyarit Kalayanamit said a recent study has shown that an increase of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) by one baht per kilogram will raise a cost of one cooked dish by only 3 satang or 0.03 baht.

He said LPG price has recently increased by four baht, so food operators should not increase prices of their fast food dishes by over 20 satang.

Mr Boonyarit also said that the department would send officials to check if food vendors and operators who join the department’s cheap food scheme have dishonestly increased their prices of their dishes.

He acknowledged that he has received complaints that some operators have raised the prices beyond the cap of 25-35 baht per dish.

He also said the upcoming restructuring of energy prices in December should have no impact on the cost of food dishes and vendors should not cite this to increase their food prices.

Mr Boonyarit said that in the upcoming New Year, the Finance Ministry will roll out a low-price goods scheme as the New Year gift for the people to help them cope with the high cost of living.

He added so far 10 shopping malls and operators have expressed their interest to join the scheme.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/food-vendors-warned-raising-food-prices/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-06

There is a 'cap' on food prices? Shouldn't it be down to the food vendor how much they charge for their food and up to the public whether or not it is a fair price? Isn't this what creates a diverse and competitive market?

You missed that it is about vendors who joined the cheap food scheme of the government . Vendors who are independent can sell at a price they want.

This is a populist problem.....

• Like 1

There is a 'cap' on food prices? Shouldn't it be down to the food vendor how much they charge for their food and up to the public whether or not it is a fair price? Isn't this what creates a diverse and competitive market?

You missed that it is about vendors who joined the cheap food scheme of the government . Vendors who are independent can sell at a price they want.

This is a populist problem.....

Upon review the articles says 'join' and later is mentions that 10 shopping malls etc. have expressed interest in joining the scheme which makes me think the scheme isn't yet under way.

Edited by TallPalm

But that would take thinking from the publics side!!

Better let Big Brother do it for you!! Remember "returning happiness to the people"!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I dont care about this as the girls in the market where i go make up the price as they go along anyway, somedays is cheap as chips, others its like buying food for the hyatt

"...cheap as chips,....." rolleyes.gif

Here we go again. Potato chips, potato crisps or what is sometimes referred to as French fries.

• Like 1

Another rise (albeit small) in the cost of living. Millions of Thais rely on food stalls every day If they raise the VAT to 10% as has been proposed this will make things worse. I know food vendors don't charge VAT on their finished product but they do pay on the ingredients they use. Another increased cost they will have to pass on.

I dont care about this as the girls in the market where i go make up the price as they go along anyway, somedays is cheap as chips, others its like buying food for the hyatt

Here we go again. Potato chips, potato crisps or what is sometimes referred to as French fries.

Or buffalo chips aka prairie firewood.

https://buffalotompeabodyblog.wordpress.com/category/buffalo-gal-peabody/

post-164212-0-42168900-1415252695_thumb.

Oh my what have i said hahaha

I could murder a chip butty and dead horse

Another rise (albeit small) in the cost of living. Millions of Thais rely on food stalls every day If they raise the VAT to 10% as has been proposed this will make things worse. I know food vendors don't charge VAT on their finished product but they do pay on the ingredients they use. Another increased cost they will have to pass on.

Better get educated before you make statements like that. Those small food sellers are exempt of VAT. So it won't change a thing.

If you read correctly you will notice that this only applies to food vendors who are subscribed to the government cheap food scheme. It's meant for low income people to afford food.

This is NOT the way to run a country. If the prices are too high people will go elsewhere. Now if the vendors all get together and collude in raising prices that's a different story. Each vendor should have the RIGHT to charge whatever they like. They will quickly find out if they have priced themselves out of the market.

People in business will always sell for as much as they can get whether they are food vendors or anything else, whether it is good value or not. it is called capitalism, and is why the rich keep on getting richer, while the poor keep getting worse of. If there was less greed, the world would be a better place.

The Internal Trade Department has warned food vendors of raising food prices by citing the cooking gas price increase as a reason.

LPG prices around the world are plummeting so why is it different in Thailand?!

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/oil/singapore/china-lpg-prices-plunge-in-line-with-slump-in-27737552

I know corruption has been eradicated by the dear leader and approval ratings now sit at 250%, but I smell something fishy, and it isn`t my Mrs som tam.