Where is the best place in Phuket to do a health checkup?

hermesalpha

Where is the best place in Phuket to do a health checkup? I'm 43 years now and it's time for my first health checkup. I've lived in Asia the past 10 years and will stay here, so I think Thailand might be a good place to do the health examination. I was thinking of doing both a general health check at a health facility I saw on internet they have in Kata I think it was. Has anyone heard of it?

Then I also need to visit a hospital to do a thorough health examination, especially of my stomach and liver. Is there any hospital in Phuket that would be better than the others for me as a foreigner?

How much would it approximately cost, and can I complete the health checks in a few days (if it would be required to follow-up a few days later)?

Or would it be better to go to Pattaya or Bangkok?

I live in Kata and can't say that there any sort of comprehensive check-up here in Kata.

I myself go to Phuket International Hospital in Phuket town. If you want 5 star then go to Bangkok Puket Hospital in Phuket town.

Cost - I can't say. Depends on how comprehensive you want the tests to be. I think not expensive.

No need to go up to BKK or Pats. Phuket has excellent health care.

• Like 1

I do my checks in BPK. The membership "perfect diamond" is good if you want to do big health checks. Discounts and free big health checks are inclusive.

I got the 3 year membership fee back with free checks and discounts normaly only in 1 year. Satisfied member since many years.

http://www.phukethospital.com/Chivawattana/Chivawattana-Comparison.php

• Like 2

Bangkok Hospital Phuket is very good. I have been going every 3 months for 5 years for check ups. The initial examination cost 7,500b and I pay 2,000 to 4,000 each quarter depending on what drugs are prescribed for my diabetes. I enjoy going there. They look after you and I like the downstairs reception area. I would go so far as to say the calm, professional attitude you find there inspires my confidence in them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I asked a local health practisioner here in Phuket Town which he considered the best to do a health checkup at. He thought a few seconds and then replied Phuket International. I'm not sure which one to choose, Bangkok Hospital Phuket or Phuket International. Bangkok Hospital Phuket seems fanciest but I don't know, perhaps they have good doctors at Phuket International also. Price doesn't matter so much if I save a few thousand baht on going to Phuket International because I have some serious health problems know that I want to get as correctly diagnosed as possible. So of primary concern is that I get a complete picture of what needs to be done about my health now, and that I can communicate well with the doctors. My age is 43, and these health problems I know approximately what it's about and have a full picture of it, but need to get a detailed diagnosis, such as hcl levels in the stomach, hearth, liver etc.

I asked a local health practisioner here in Phuket Town which he considered the best to do a health checkup at. He thought a few seconds and then replied Phuket International. I'm not sure which one to choose, Bangkok Hospital Phuket or Phuket International. Bangkok Hospital Phuket seems fanciest but I don't know, perhaps they have good doctors at Phuket International also. Price doesn't matter so much if I save a few thousand baht on going to Phuket International because I have some serious health problems know that I want to get as correctly diagnosed as possible. So of primary concern is that I get a complete picture of what needs to be done about my health now, and that I can communicate well with the doctors. My age is 43, and these health problems I know approximately what it's about and have a full picture of it, but need to get a detailed diagnosis, such as hcl levels in the stomach, hearth, liver etc.

Just after the New Year, Bangkok-Phuket usually does a special. It's an 18,000thb shindig, but they lower it to 11,000. Really extensive, I did it last year. Quite good and the doctor excellent. Covers everything you describe and more.

Funny, during the treadmill test (GOM has a regular running habit), when they got to full speed they asked if I could keep it going for another minute and another doctor came in to watch. I actually was pounding pretty hard on the machine, thought I might break it ha,ha, but then they were quite impressed with how quickly my heartbeat came back down.

You might buzz them up to see if they will run the special again. Also, I think they own the other international hospital now.

• Like 1

Full check up including heart ultrasound and blood tests coat about 7500 at Bangkok hospital.

I declined the colonoscopy but soon as I'm about to hit 40.

Sent from my LG-D858

As for the Colonoscopy, as gruesome as it sounds, its OK, i had it done, and was nervous as anything, but you feel nothing, just slight discomfort, definetly go for it..

I do my checks in BPK. The membership "perfect diamond" is good if you want to do big health checks. Discounts and free big health checks are inclusive.

I got the 3 year membership fee back with free checks and discounts normaly only in 1 year. Satisfied member since many years.

http://www.phukethospital.com/Chivawattana/Chivawattana-Comparison.php

Crikey, lucky I was back in the Uk when I had me cancer diagnosed (actually, lucky would be not having it I guess!). Apart from all of the "love the glove" And endoscope/biopsies and PSA count/blood tests I've had an MRIscan, CT scam and a bone scan plus a TURP operation. I have to go back next week for another MRI and the following week for another CT scan and then the actual treatment (or part 2 does) starts and treatment I've been told I can only get in Chiang Mai and that's with old equipment! By the comparison reckoning that would have cost me in the region of 208k baht plud the bone scan, whatever they charged for the TURP op and 4 days in hospital, plus hormone treatment and then radiation treatment (and diagnosis/biopsies/blood tests etc etc) I reckon that would take me well over 400k baht.. Cost me nothing in the UK, including all meds too! Plus I'm up in Newcastle which is the #1 cancer care centre in the UK! So I guess the word would be, go home for serious sh*t and have check ups locally?

I have completely lost faith in any package deals. They always charge you extra for things that you thought were included in the package. It is not so much about money but it is terribly sad that you walk out of the place with a feeling that you have been fleeced. Also be prepared to accept that there's no respect for time. You are always made to wait (sometimes for one or two hours) even when you have an appointment! Three stars, four stars or five stars is a meaningless concept if professionalism is lacking and modern medical care on offer is overshadowed by practices that are inconsistent with fair and prompt service.

I have very bad experience from Bangkok Phuket Hospital. They are only there to earn money. Doctor consultation is 1250 baht , they said, but after the consultation I had to pay 4000 baht for it and no explanation why did it cost so much.

The last 5 years I HAVE NEVER AND NEVER MET ANY GOOD DOCTOR IN THIS COUNTRY INCLUSIVE BANGKOK.

AND I HAVE NEVER MET ANY THAI DOCTOR IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD .

NOBODY GIVES THEM A JOB.

AND NO OTHER DOCTOR COME TO THAILAND AND WORK ,,,, BECAUSE THE SALARIES ARE SO LOW.

So I go to Kuala Lumpur to see a doctor in a private hospital .

Very good doctors and the price is 1/3 of the price of Bangkok Phuket Hospital. You pay 10000 baht instead of 30000 baht.

This is my experience and every time I go to Kuala Lumpur I get help immediately.

I even did health control which was very cheap.

I take a bus or train to Kuala Lumpur. It's cheap , Hat Yai - Kuala bus is 450 baht but flight 1200 baht if you are not in a hurry. Kuala airport to town bus is 200 baht. Taxi from bus or train station to hospital about 150 baht. You can sleep in the train, from Hat Yai is 600 baht one way, from Bangkok I don't know.

Good Luck To You

Bangkok Hospital Phuket is very good. I have been going every 3 months for 5 years for check ups. The initial examination cost 7,500b and I pay 2,000 to 4,000 each quarter depending on what drugs are prescribed for my diabetes. I enjoy going there. They look after you and I like the downstairs reception area. I would go so far as to say the calm, professional attitude you find there inspires my confidence in them.

I agree; I have been going there every 3 months since I developed a heart problem more than 10 years ago, and the care and attention are always excellent.

The last 5 years I HAVE NEVER AND NEVER MET ANY GOOD DOCTOR IN THIS COUNTRY INCLUSIVE BANGKOK.

NOBODY GIVES THEM A JOB.

AND NO OTHER DOCTOR COME TO THAILAND AND WORK ,,,, BECAUSE THE SALARIES ARE SO LOW.

Alfa, It it difficult to think of someone being more wrong about this topic than you. You slam people that you have admittedly never met. Many Thai Doctors go abroad for Medical specialty training. One of the CEOs of Bangkok Hospitals spent 21 years in America in Pediatric Medicine and Hospital Administration. Several of the Directors at Bangkok Hospitals have worked at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and other renowned Medical Institutions around the world. I personally have been in Hospitals all across the USA, and I can tell you that I have met very few American Doctors that come close to the dedication of most of the Thai Doctors I have known. Thai Doctors are well trained,they are conscientious, and they are experts in their respective fields. At Bangkok Hospitals throughout Thailand,they have the latest state of the art equipment, and cost only a fraction of what it would cost for equal treatment in any Western Private Hospital. It is great that you have found a Hospital in another country that you like...but please don't degrade an entire profession of healers in Thailand, that you obviously know little about.

• Like 1

I have very bad experience from Bangkok Phuket Hospital. They are only there to earn money. Doctor consultation is 1250 baht , they said, but after the consultation I had to pay 4000 baht for it and no explanation why did it cost so much.

NOBODY GIVES THEM A JOB.

Very good doctors and the price is 1/3 of the price of Bangkok Phuket Hospital. You pay 10000 baht instead of 30000 baht.

This is my experience and every time I go to Kuala Lumpur I get help immediately.

I even did health control which was very cheap.

I take a bus or train to Kuala Lumpur. It's cheap , Hat Yai - Kuala bus is 450 baht but flight 1200 baht if you are not in a hurry. Kuala airport to town bus is 200 baht. Taxi from bus or train station to hospital about 150 baht. You can sleep in the train, from Hat Yai is 600 baht one way, from Bangkok I don't know.

Good Luck To You

Alfa, maybe it's the yelling and acting poorly that you don't get the service. Welcome to Thailand, politeness does work.

I consistently get great service there and am able to talk them down on the price, recently something costing me 70,000thb I was able to get to 60. Actually got a procedure in extra for free. Thats why I don't believe the other poster saying they add on charges, nonsense, posters fault for not asking before what everything costs. No, I recommend the NY's special.

• Like 1

NOBODY GIVES THEM A JOB.

Alfa, It it difficult to think of someone being more wrong about this topic than you. You slam people that you have admittedly never met. Many Thai Doctors go abroad for Medical specialty training. One of the CEOs of Bangkok Hospitals spent 21 years in America in Pediatric Medicine and Hospital Administration. Several of the Directors at Bangkok Hospitals have worked at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and other renowned Medical Institutions around the world. I personally have been in Hospitals all across the USA, and I can tell you that I have met very few American Doctors that come close to the dedication of most of the Thai Doctors I have known. Thai Doctors are well trained,they are conscientious, and they are experts in their respective fields. At Bangkok Hospitals throughout Thailand,they have the latest state of the art equipment, and cost only a fraction of what it would cost for equal treatment in any Western Private Hospital. It is great that you have found a Hospital in another country that you like...but please don't degrade an entire profession of healers in Thailand, that you obviously know little about.

My rheumatologist spent more than 30 years working in some of the best hospitals in the US.

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. If they offer some alternative to colonoscopy I might choose that, like was suggested in schlog's link. My main problem is that I experimented with being a vegetarian when I was around 20 years old, but didn't have the knowledge and starved myself to a great extent and lost a lot of weight, something I have never recovered now that I am 43 years. I also exercised very hard while not eating and really exhausted my body completely during this time. Then suddenly, I began to eat a lot of meat again, so it was a very abrubt change of diet, both when I was vegetarian and when I stopped being a vegetarian.

The result now is that no matter how much food I eat, I never gain weight or build muscles, always stay on the same low weight. It doesn't go into the toilet either, but I think I have a very fast metabolism. I also know my organs are weak, especially my stomach and kidneys. I never take Western medicines (have never taken) but only Indian and Chinese herbs. I think this has kept me going and alive for 20 years, but know I'm getting older and need to get a diagnos so I know how to best handle this through my middle age.

I have considered doing a detoxification to clean the colon walls first, as there might be contamination in the colon walls that hinders my organs from absorbing the nutrients. Another possibility is that I have parasites in the colon or in the gut as I experienced a very uncomfortable reaction when I took epsom salt and apple vinegar on empty stomach (which might have upset some parasites).

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. If they offer some alternative to colonoscopy I might choose that, like was suggested in schlog's link. My main problem is that I experimented with being a vegetarian when I was around 20 years old, but didn't have the knowledge and starved myself to a great extent and lost a lot of weight, something I have never recovered now that I am 43 years. I also exercised very hard while not eating and really exhausted my body completely during this time. Then suddenly, I began to eat a lot of meat again, so it was a very abrubt change of diet, both when I was vegetarian and when I stopped being a vegetarian.

The result now is that no matter how much food I eat, I never gain weight or build muscles, always stay on the same low weight. It doesn't go into the toilet either, but I think I have a very fast metabolism. I also know my organs are weak, especially my stomach and kidneys. I never take Western medicines (have never taken) but only Indian and Chinese herbs. I think this has kept me going and alive for 20 years, but know I'm getting older and need to get a diagnos so I know how to best handle this through my middle age.

I have considered doing a detoxification to clean the colon walls first, as there might be contamination in the colon walls that hinders my organs from absorbing the nutrients. Another possibility is that I have parasites in the colon or in the gut as I experienced a very uncomfortable reaction when I took epsom salt and apple vinegar on empty stomach (which might have upset some parasites).

For sure don't play "Internet Doctor" and treat yourself, let a true health professional make the assessments and take it from there.

• Like 1

If you are under 50 and have no other symptoms a colonoscopy is contraindicated. Don't worry about your body weight, it varies on the individual. It seems you have ben doing a lot of internet self diagnosis which is usually unhelpful, and will certainly cause unnecessary stress, which definitely is bad. There is no way to facilitate "detoxification" of the colon. Anybody who tells you so is a quack.

There is nothing wrong with developing a relationship with qualified M.D.and getting a physical exam but these well advertised Health Check Programmes are a subject of considerable controversy in the medical community. Basically unnecessary test and scans may lead to more test and costs, but be of little medical necessity. I myself walked into <XXXXXXXXXX> Hospital in BKK in perfect health for an "Executive Medical Check" just because it was something to do and I saw all the adverts. Also I thought, "Well I'm 40 so I need a full astronaut exam".

I walked out of there being told some very frightening information. I was sent to a specialist. This "US Trained and Board Certified Pulmonologist"in BKK assessed me and recommended costly and invasive procedures.

In shock, then I went to a top medical centre in Los Angeles for a second opinion. Eventually it was determined not only did I not have this fatal affliction, but that there was nothing wrong with me at all!

Also I was told the procedures recommended at the internationally renown <XXXX> Hospital in BKK were me medically unnecessary and had potentially severe side effects.

One must be a savvy consumer of medical services these days excessive but internet self-diagnosis is not the way to go! I heard there is a Farang here in Chiang Mai who is such a hypochondriac that he has been banned from a local hospital. Convinced of the existence of a non-existent ulcer he bought his own endoscope somehow and spends time exploring his own stomach and recording videos!

Edited by arunsakda