Would You Fight For Thailand?

RustBucket

Pure Hypothesis.

Let's say that Thailand was dragged into war with a neighboring country and suffered many casualties.

If the Thai government declared that it would be willing to give unconditional citizenship to all farangs who joined the army to fight for Thailand. Would you consider it?

I know a lot will say that they are too old or out of shape, to consider going to war, but let's say you were in your mid 30s and fit and healthy with plenty of life ahead of you.

Let's also say you were married to a Thai and had a family here (as many of us do). So not only would you be fighting to protect the sovereignty of Thailand, but for the protection and liberty of your ow family.

Would you be tempted?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would fight only for my own country.

And why limit it to age 30's? For those of us who have handled rifles all of our lives and hunted and practiced many, many thousands of rounds, know how to disguise ourselves, know how to move around without been seen or smelled even by cagy wild animals...

I could kill 20 of them before they even knew where I was.

• Like 2

OK..... so let's change the rules a little.

Let's say that Thailand just happens to be at war with your home country.

Would you find it tough to make a decision?

Would you go back to your country and fight against Thailand?

smile.png

Good thread and good subject.

Impossible, wouldn`t happen because we would not be given the choice. If while as foreigners living in Thailand war was declared between our home countries and Thailand, we would either be thrown out, interned as possible enemies of the state, held as POWs or murdered. That would be the reality.

If i was young enough to be considered fit and able to fight for Thailand against a neighboring country and in return offered a citizenship for my efforts, I think yes I would, but it would have to be in the case where Thailand was at threat of being invaded by the other country and the other country were the aggressors that started the war in the first place. In other words fighting for Thailand to defend it, as the allies did trying to defend our countries during WW2, otherwise if I was offered a citizenship to go abroad and fight for Thailand as some sort of canon fodder, definitely a no, no.

Being realistic,that's all there is to it: Cannon fodder,and not even your Country!

A Country that does not give equal rights,and discriminates against westerners,and treats Thais as superior beings,has no right to expect Foreigners to die for them!

lol! britain did exactly that with thousands of colonial troops!!

Yes they did.Most countries do the same, it is called allied cooperation.

If the US has a beef with another country, then you can rest assured British troops would be sent there (whether they like it or not) to fight for US foreign policy.

I see the UK are going to end up putting troops on the ground in Iraq again, this time against ISIS. Even though the British public was promised that there would be no troop deployment in Iraq.

No mention of US troops being deployed (yet).

I definitely wouldn't fight for Thailand, and would treat their offer of citizenship with the disdain it deserves.

I have already saved the life of two Thais by paying hundreds of thousands in hospital bills, am raising two and supporting others.

They should probably consider me a national hero, but alas....

• Like 2

A Country that does not give equal rights,and discriminates against westerners,and treats Thais as superior beings,has no right to expect Foreigners to die for them!

In two world wars they had as much choice as the British Troops i.e none at all,the same as all wars,no choice for the troops! Ask the Americans why they joined us in Europe,and don't forget to ask the Australians,Canadians,New Zealanders,and Commonwealth Countries,why they joined two world wars!

And btw,Thailand in ww2 couldn't decide which side it was supporting!

• Like 1

smile.png

Impossible, wouldn`t happen because we would not be given the choice. If while as foreigners living in Thailand war was declared between our home countries and Thailand, we would either be thrown out, interned as possible enemies of the state, held as POWs or murdered. That would be the reality.

If i was young enough to be considered fit and able to fight for Thailand against a neighboring country and in return offered a citizenship for my efforts, I think yes I would, but it would have to be in the case where Thailand was at threat of being invaded by the other country and the other country were the aggressors that started the war in the first place. In other words fighting for Thailand to defend it, as the allies did trying to defend our countries during WW2, otherwise if I was offered a citizenship to go abroad and fight for Thailand as some sort of canon fodder, definitely a no, no.

Being realistic,that's all there is to it: Cannon fodder,and not even your Country!

Being realistic you have missed the point. The OP`s question was would you fight for Thailand if given Thai citizenship not as a foreign national or a mercenary.

In two world wars they had as much choice as the British Troops i.e none at all,the same as all wars,no choice for the troops! Ask the Americans why they joined us in Europe,and don't forget to ask the Australians,Canadians,New Zealanders,and Commonwealth Countries,why they joined two world wars!

And btw,Thailand in ww2 couldn't decide which side it was supporting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_in_World_War_II

I definitely wouldn't fight for Thailand, and would treat their offer of citizenship with the disdain it deserves.

I have already saved the life of two Thais by paying hundreds of thousands in hospital bills, am raising two and supporting others.

Why did you pay hundreds of thousands in hospital bills for two Thais, are raising two and supporting others? Just curious as that would be a strange attitude to have if they were members of your own family, because I certainly would not considering raising my kids as raising three Thais and I do not understand what you mean by supporting others? In which way are you giving them support? Just curious because it all sounds rather weird.

smile.png

Being realistic you have missed the point. The OP`s question was would you fight for Thailand if given Thai citizenship not as a foreign national or a mercenary.

Well no! Thai Citizenship as a bribe is of limited value to me! But there are other exemptions!

Why did you pay hundreds of thousands in hospital bills for two Thais, are raising two and supporting others? Just curious as that would be a strange attitude to have if they were members of your own family, because I certainly would not considering raising my kids as raising three Thais and I do not understand what you mean by supporting others? In which way are you giving them support? Just curious because it all sounds rather weird.

Nothing curious or weird about Farangs supporting Thai Family,it's common place, happens all the time!