Would You Fight For Thailand?

RustBucket

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailiketoo: I actually don't see your point. So, a big so what?

Normally when responding to a post you quote the other post so people can follow the discussion.

You wrote, "It's directed OBVIOUSLY at independent expats here in Thailand. Would THEY personally fight. Nothing about their governments or their government's armies. "

I wrote many Farangs work for the Thai military (fighting or whatever it's all the same in the military because that is the purpose of the military) today and in the past including myself both with the US army and after as a civilian and I'm not unusual. Many people work for the Thai military as contractors or under many other names but the purpose is fighting or being prepared to fight the countries enemies.

that makes you nothing more than a mercenary hired gun

Normally when responding to a post you quote the other post so people can follow the discussion.

You wrote, "It's directed OBVIOUSLY at independent expats here in Thailand. Would THEY personally fight. Nothing about their governments or their government's armies. "

I wrote many Farangs work for the Thai military (fighting or whatever it's all the same in the military because that is the purpose of the military) today and in the past including myself both with the US army and after as a civilian and I'm not unusual. Many people work for the Thai military as contractors or under many other names but the purpose is fighting or being prepared to fight the countries enemies.

Since I always held administrative/staff positions in the military more like a hired brain. I had a friend who cooked in the army I guess he was a hired saucepan.

The Flying Tigers were the first American mercenary group to fight in Thailand to my knowledge. Of course they were fighting against Thailand, they bombed Chiang Mai I think in 1942.

I do hope you will forgive me as I have always tried to get paid for the work I do. I do a little charity work for free but not much really. I know I should do more.

I take it by the disdainful tone of your post that you have fought in some army for free and good for you although I have not met anyone who has ever done that.

We might get different answers in this thread if the amount of pay for fighting was included.

We could say how much money would it take for you to fight for Thailand? The Flying Tigers got paid a salary and $500 per Japanese plane they shot down. When they were asked to change from being mercenaries to the US Army only 5 did.

I can understand that why would one do for free today what you got paid $500 for yesterday.

I think wars are usually fought for money and I assumed that to be part and parcel of the OP. But maybe you know more than I and can list all sorts of wars that were fought for free.

Since I always held administrative/staff positions in the military more like a hired brain. I had a friend who cooked in the army I guess he was a hired saucepan.

The Flying Tigers were the first American mercenary group to fight in Thailand to my knowledge. Of course they were fighting against Thailand, they bombed Chiang Mai I think in 1942.

I do hope you will forgive me as I have always tried to get paid for the work I do. I do a little charity work for free but not much really. I know I should do more.

I take it by the disdainful tone of your post that you have fought in some army for free and good for you although I have not met anyone who has ever done that.

We might get different answers in this thread if the amount of pay for fighting was included.

We could say how much money would it take for you to fight for Thailand? The Flying Tigers got paid a salary and $500 per Japanese plane they shot down. When they were asked to change from being mercenaries to the US Army only 5 did.

I can understand that why would one do for free today what you got paid $500 for yesterday.

I think wars are usually fought for money and I assumed that to be part and parcel of the OP. But maybe you know more than I and can list all sorts of wars that were fought for free.

your words "(fighting or whatever it's all the same in the military because that is the purpose of the military) " "after as a civilian " that makes you a hired mercenary.

your words "(fighting or whatever it's all the same in the military because that is the purpose of the military) " "after as a civilian " that makes you a hired mercenary.

Anyone paid to take part in a war who is not a national of that countries army is a mercenary.

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain."

Thais were paid to fight for America and Thailand paid Americans to fight for Thailand. So?

Who works for free?

Anyone paid to take part in a war who is not a national of that countries army is a mercenary.

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain."

Thais were paid to fight for America and Thailand paid Americans to fight for Thailand. So?

Who works for free?

not sayin you should. but I'm always interested in folks that commit violence on others for purely monetary reasons. its a karmic thing.

I am amazed that so many have answered the OP's original hypothesis without questioning WHY Thailand was dragged into a war with a neighbour. For me the WHY is the most important question. There are few valid reasons to wage war. There are an almost infinite number of horribly invalid reasons. Unless I felt a strong moral obligation the answer would be NO no matter what was on offer as incentive.

I am amazed that so many have answered the OP's original hypothesis without questioning WHY Thailand was dragged into a war with a neighbour. For me the WHY is the most important question. There are few valid reasons to wage war. There are an almost infinite number of horribly invalid reasons. Unless I felt a strong moral obligation the answer would be NO no matter what was on offer as incentive.

Why do you assume war would be with another country?

I would think civil war would be most likely,

So you could fight for the Junta, or fight for democracy, or maybe fight for the Shins, or fight for a new country Lanna Republic?.

What you gonna choose?

Why do you assume war would be with another country?

I would think civil war would be most likely,

So you could fight for the Junta, or fight for democracy, or maybe fight for the Shins, or fight for a new country Lanna Republic?.

What you gonna choose?

I am not "assuming" anything. I am referring to the topic and the original poster's hypothesis... that is what the discussion is about. Please keep up rather than jumping in halfway.